Arizona Smog Test - Failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arizona Smog Test - Failed

Had to visit the smog shop yesterday prior to registration. After sitting in line over an hour ( 101 degrees outside ) it's my turn. The short version is that the car failed, and the instrument cluster showed a yellow DSC light and a yellow "brake" light. To clarify, the word "brake" was yellow. Turns out that the test was run with engine off - can't explain that, it was running when I exited the car. Ran the test again, engine running, those instrument lights still showing, and it failed again. The car failed to communicate both times, so it showed as fail. Charged me $17.00 and recorded no fee charged. Next, I demanded my cash back, and got it, also got a widget to install in OBDII port for the drive home. Not sure what the widget's for, but was told to leave it there pending my return to the shop. At home, I shut off the engine and re-started it. No lights showing on the dash, so I measured battery voltage. Engine off = 12.55 v, engine on, 14.00v. Should I be concerned about those lights showing then going out? I'm not checking for faults until passing smog.
    Sorry about droning on, and appreciate any thoughts.

I don't know AZ emission testing - but doubt DSC and brake errors are read or disqualify. Failure to communicate with the OBD or an "Not Ready" error will usually result in a failure.

Read your codes and see what is engine/emissions related.

Comment

arizona has smog tests?!

Comment

Originally posted by sev View Post
        arizona has smog tests?!
        Yes, but it's only for the Phoenix and Tucson metros.

Comment

To the OP, IIRC there was a DME update that addressed the issue of not being able to communicate with whatever they "talk about". Perhaps you should send a dealer your VIN and see if you have that update.

Comment

The real puzzle here is that there were no cluster lights when I handed the car over to the smog tech. He had the smog cable connected to the car with key on, engine off, for about 6 minutes. Afterward, those lights were on, and he announced the failed communication. After a couple of drive cycles going home, the lights went out, and I'm assuming the car is now OK to test again. Assuming it passes next time, I'll check for faults and report. Thanks to all!

Comment

Reading faults won't clear your emissions monitors. Totally fine to read them and see what's going on.

Clearing faults will clear the monitors, so don't do that until you've passed.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaTree View Post
                The real puzzle here is that there were no cluster lights when I handed the car over to the smog tech. He had the smog cable connected to the car with key on, engine off, for about 6 minutes. Afterward, those lights were on, and he announced the failed communication. After a couple of drive cycles going home, the lights went out, and I'm assuming the car is now OK to test again. Assuming it passes next time, I'll check for faults and report. Thanks to all!
                Did he put the car on the dyno? That can cause a few lights to come on. Also, a malfunctioning steering angle sensor can cause error lights plus OBD communication issues.

Comment

I was going to ask the same thing. If your state/shop still uses the “treadmill” that might cause your lights.

Also as mentioned the M3 had port communication issues somewhat sorted out from dealership software update early on. Agreed, you might want to check it.
                  6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

The smog guy didn't dyno the car; all he did was connect their cable to the car for 5-6 minutes with the engine off. When I got back in the car, the lights I mentioned above were on. They put a widget called Ready Checker into the OBD port, and instructed me to drive as usual until the widget showed a green light. In the smog shop, the light was yellow ( not ready ) by the time I got home, 8 miles or so, the light was completely out. Restarted the engine, and the instrument cluster warning lights were gone.
                    So, maybe I'll Schwaben for fault codes, but not clear them, if that's the approved next step? I found some old instructions about doing drive cycles on the freeway, off there freeway, etc. Is that worth pursuing? This car has never had this kind of issue before.
                    Thanks!

Comment

The “drive cycles” usually set the monitors. Often done when not triggering or cleared recently.
                      Unable to communicating to/through the port is different (if that’s what test station said was reason). For instance your monitors could all be triggered and set but if unable to communicate the test can’t read this.

Here is my old OBD Fusion reader when my cats weren’t setting. I had to do drive cycles to finally trigger. *of note AZ might check less monitors, this is just an example
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	7F7D6452-7480-4334-8A4B-61BABC2816B8.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	65.9 KB ID:	120509
                      Last edited by old///MFanatic; 08-12-2021, 02:51 PM.
                      6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
                        The “drive cycles” usually set the monitors. Often done when not triggering or cleared recently.
                        Unable to communicating to/through the port is different (if that’s what test station said was reason). For instance your monitors could all be triggered and set but if unable to communicate the test can’t read this.

Here is my old OBD Fusion reader when my cats weren’t setting. I had to do drive cycles to finally trigger. *of note AZ might check less monitors, this is just an example
                        Click image for larger version Name:	7F7D6452-7480-4334-8A4B-61BABC2816B8.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	65.9 KB ID:	120509
                        Thanks for the input. In reviewing the smog report, the only "FAIL" note is MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LIGHT (MIL) STATUS - NO COMMUNICATION: FAIL My scanner is Schwaben Pro, and I'm not sure if it can show me the info shown by your Fusion. Meanwhile, anyone have advise about dealing with that MIL light? I just checked fault codes with that scanner, and there are no engine related faults showing. Thanks again.

Comment

In Schwaben, when you first connect it and it powers up, instead of going to the "BMW" application, go to "OBD2". From there, go to "I/M Readiness" and see what that says.

Depending on which monitor is not set or incomplete, will depend on what you do next for the "drive cycle", i.e. SAP monitor (as example) DOESN'T require you to drive the car at 55mph for 20mins to set, because that is not how/when that part of the monitor test is carried out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Interested to know more about said 'widget'. Fwiw, every test I've had done in AZ has been with car off. Smog tech has always asked me to turn the vehicle off, then takes the keys, tests, etc.

Comment

[QUOTE=ELEM3NT;n120525]Interested to know more about said 'widget'. Fwiw, every test I've had done in AZ has been with car off. Smog tech has always asked me to turn the vehicle off, then takes the keys, tests, etc.

[/QUOTE
                              Try out this link. My previous experience with AZ smog here in the Phoenix area is similar to yours. Show up, shut up, and pay the fee. This time the guy wanted the engine running, and it all went to hell. Even the help-line guy said they don't know much about the latest system. Who knows? Later tonite, I'll find the paper handout for that "Ready Checker" and try to pass it on.

Comment

Working...
                              X