Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E46 M3 Cold Start Hesitation, Cant Find The Solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The M3 cold start is not as smooth as the non-M E46. I think high compression and tall cam lobes affect it.

Comment

Maybe this is a solution.

This is more for the Z4M but its way similar to the E46 m3

I translate it for you.

"Many Z4M drivers will notice that the starter always has to turn for different lengths of time in the morning, which is not normal. Sometimes it takes an extremely long time and you can also perceive one or the other weak combustion, which is not enough for the engine to start up. The engine was probably tuned so lean for the emissions tests that the first injections for some engines in the series spread are no longer rich enough. The entire first series of injections goes unburned into the exhaust gas or through the cylinder walls into the oil."

Comment

Originally posted by Christian_M3 View Post

https://www.probsten-tech.de/z4mm3-s...ruckelloesung/

I translate it for you.

"Many Z4M drivers will notice that the starter always has to turn for different lengths of time in the morning, which is not normal. Sometimes it takes an extremely long time and you can also perceive one or the other weak combustion, which is not enough for the engine to start up. The engine was probably tuned so lean for the emissions tests that the first injections for some engines in the series spread are no longer rich enough. The entire first series of injections goes unburned into the exhaust gas or through the cylinder walls into the oil."
        Huh! This, elbert's, and AvusM5's posts are all very interesting in that they suggest my engine's current startup behaviour is more or less normal! Even more interestingly, some cars have it from the start, and some, like mine, suddenly develop it out of the blue. Even if the answer is of no practical consequence, I remain very curious as to what exact change in my car's configuration brought this about. But I guess I'm starting to feel a little better that my engine isn't a dud?
        Last edited by ATB88; 09-21-2021, 07:22 AM.

Comment

This is my 199k mile m3

Comment

check fuel pressure, it's probably not building enough pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post

In my case it did come that way from the factory. And I would know since I am the only owner.
              Then you potentially stand to benefit the greatest from this fix!
              '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

I translate it for you.

If it's truly an issue of being too lean on cold starts, that would be fairly trivial to fix... but that doesn't really explain why most cars seem to start without any sort of issue.

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
                  Then you potentially stand to benefit the greatest from this fix!
                  Not really. I don't think it's much of a problem.

Originally posted by terra View Post
                  This is my 199k mile m3
                  By any chance did you adjust your idle speed?

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post

Not really. I don't think it's much of a problem.

By any chance did you adjust your idle speed?
                    I bumped it up a hair when I installed Schrick cams, though the speed you see there is representative of the cold start behavior. It'd come down to about 920 when warmed up (instead of 870 stock)

Comment

I translate it for you.

I've had it in there for a long time, it only helps a little.

This is due to the enrichment during a cold start ... Removing the secondary air pump is a solution. Adapting the software to this.

Chasing a Gremlin with my 2002 s54... On cold start the car acts like it is not receiving enough fuel. It will misfire, and when given throttle, it will choke and drop to 250-500 rpms. If you stay in the throttle it will eventually rise. The car will do this until it is warmed up. You then must cycle the key on and off once,

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2424 View Post

I've had it in there for a long time, it only helps a little.

This is due to the enrichment during a cold start ... Removing the secondary air pump is a solution.
                        I thought the secondary air pump is only for heat up the catalytic converter quicker, so why delete it helped solving your problem?

Comment

In conjunction with a software adaptation, the mixture is changed during a cold start and the car becomes drivable for the first few meters. Of course, this does not comply with the law ...

If you unplug the pump, what happens after a cold start?

Comment

M3S54E46 is your car doing the same thing as mine?

Comment

My car does the exact same thing. I usually crank it for a sec, let go, and crank it again and it starts up fine.
                              http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                              '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

As Terra showed in his video, even a ~200k miles M3 should fire up normal. And if someone says his M3 doesn’t fire up on first crank or has a very bad cold start (since x miles or even from factory) there IS a fault or defective part. period. This is definitely no „normal“ behavior.

I bought recently another E46 M3 that has exactly this behavior (only on cold start in the morning, first a short crank, than another crank to fire it up and a bit rough idle after start up and very rare i need multiple cranks).

I cleaned/serviced the injectors and the problem went away for 5-6 cold starts and now it’s back.
                                I could never live with a issue like this, so I will continue the search and post here when I made progress.
                                …under construction.

Comment

Working...
                                X