Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E46 M3 Cold Start Hesitation, Cant Find The Solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post
    Sadly this part is only sold with the complete fuel pump assembly.
    Radium sells fuel tubing that's very similar to what comes with the OE pump assembly and is safe for E85: radiumauto.com/Submersible-Fuel-Tubing-P672.aspx

I bought the "20-0175 Submersible Fuel Tubing, 5/16in x 12.8in" for use with an AEM pump that I installed in the original pump carrier and it's been working fine. Can't comment on whether that size will work with the stock pump though
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post
      The strange thing was since I had the car, even after priming for minutes manual, I need at least 2 cranks. So only thing I can imagine is, that there was air trapped in the injectors/fuel rail, where priming not help without triggering the injectors.

Sadly this part is only sold with the complete fuel pump assembly.

i ordered a walbro kit for e46, it arrived with a similar to oem looking tube, soft sleeve, filter etc. But this tube did also leaked after shrinking, so I replaced it with a standard 8mm black fuel line. It‘s stiffer that the original one and but i know some people used this successfully in the past with aftermarket intank fuel pumps.

My walbro was sold as GST400. But take you time, mounting without a solid sleeve like the expensive radium one is a little bit tricky so take your time that it sits secure and as low as the original pump.
      It‘s also helpful to have less that 1/4 tank prior this work.

But before you even think of lifting the pump out of the tank, check you full pressure/leak test!!
      I purchased a new oem fuel pump and it didn't come with any tubes.. Just the actual pump itself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	16142229684.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	130293
      Last edited by DropTopKingM3; 10-05-2021, 08:35 PM.

Comment

He means the Pressure Hose, from Pump exit to the Pumo Cover (where you connect your outlines). But you can save you money, and replace it by youself.

Comment

OP here, I put in brand new fuel injectors(Bosch) and it solved the cold start issue. So far 3 perfect starts, one where the car was sitting for a month.

Comment

Originally posted by M3S54E46 View Post
            OP here, I put in brand new fuel injectors(Bosch) and it solved the cold start issue. So far 3 perfect starts, one where the car was sitting for a month.
            Take a video so we can compare before and after. I still think these cars take about 1sec cranking -- crankshaft turning a few turns -- to fire up. Post #19 Terra's car took about the same time to fire up also. although his engine fired up smoother. The non-M cars fired up quicker for some reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by M3S54E46 View Post
              That's good to know. Did the old ones have anything abnormal about them?
              This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

never mind

Comment

How does one determine what an abnormal fuel injector looks like without flow testing?
                  2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

I did a fuel filter and reset my adaptions and this problem completely went away. My car would start rough like yours and occasionally stall out on the first crank.
                    2005 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Imola Red 6MT

Comment

Nothing really to offer but after storing the car for the winter, i put it back on the road on May 1st and since taking it out of storage the issue is mysteriously gone. My intermittent issues only happened last year for a couple of months and i had noticed it was very hot and humid at the time my issue was present. It cranks and starts on first turn now, just like the past 8 years.

Comment

Would stale gas cause this too?

I haven't found a pattern to mine

New sparkplugs/ignition coils (had a misfire)
                        New fuel filter
                        Just did rod bearings and everything else around it.
                        68k miles so I dont think the injectors should be that bad yet or fuel pump
                        Battery tested okay and lifes on a ctek trickle

Like I said earlier I have found no pattern, sometimes it fires up on on the first time but most of the time I'll have to crank it a second time.

The only thing I have tried yet is fresh fuel but I want to run the tank lower before filling with fresh gas.

Comment

My M3 has had this problem of hesitant starts that seems to be getting worse. Seems like every start it idles rough with varying rpm, and now it regularly stalls after a second or two, but starts right up second crank.

I have a new filter I have been meaning to throw at it, but if that does not fix it what is the procedure for pressure checking the system?

Comment

Just an update to my issue for future reference, it was stale gas...

Comment

Originally posted by E46 M3 View Post
                              Just an update to my issue for future reference, it was stale gas...
                              How old was the fuel?

Comment

Originally posted by Will View Post

How old was the fuel?
                                12+ months, lost track of time... won't happen again!

Comment

Working...
                                X