No announcement yet.

BlueBus: A fully integrated A2DP Bluetooth solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe I disconnected and then reconnected it, but no communication was present. I'll be pulling the car back out this week so I'll try that again. Any other tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Chas3n View Post
      I believe I disconnected and then reconnected it, but no communication was present. I'll be pulling the car back out this week so I'll try that again. Any other tips?

Once in while, the nav or radio fuse needs to be pulled to reset the system.

Comment

Just popping in to say that I bought an e83 X3 in Seattle to drive back to Florida with the family and took my Bluebus with me after reading it would work in that car. After connecting it, the sound was awful, I contacted Ted and right away he knew what the problem was and how to fix it. He went back and forth with me in emails until I was able to get it up and going.

Driving through Montana/Idaho/Wyo without radio would have certainly ended up in my not making it back with my three kids ... someone would have died, lol.

I cant say enough good things about Ted and his awesome customer service.

Thanks Ted!!

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Once in while, the nav or radio fuse needs to be pulled to reset the system.
          Do you recall the fuse numbers? I have an excuse to take the m3 out of the garage tonight and figured I can try this real quick.

Edit: pulled fuses 7 and 41, cycled key, reinstalled fuses. Blubus now working as intended.

Last edited by Chas3n; 08-14-2023, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rekpoint View Post

Will go home this weekend and do this for him. Will report back via email.
            Was anything actionable gleaned here? I'm having a similar issue, where the battery becomes fully discharged - sometimes in a day, other times in a few days to a week or so with the M3 not being used. (I have a fairly fresh battery, and had the alternator replaced with an OEM Valeo unit, late last year.) I should also note, I have tested the battery and it holds a charge without issue, and there has been times after an extended drive, it has been fully discharged by the next morning. (when driving, the Bluebus unit is always on)

I've had the car without battery issues for the 3 years of ownership, and the battery becoming fully discharged, started right after installing my Bluebus unit in spring - and it does seem a condition where the unit may not be turning off fully at times. (not saying it is the reason, but just noting the coincidence in re: timing)
            Last edited by strummr; 08-14-2023, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by strummr View Post

Was anything actionable gleaned here? I'm having a similar issue, where the battery becomes fully discharged - sometimes in a day, other times in a few days to a week or so with the M3 not being used. (I have a fairly fresh battery, and had the alternator replaced with an OEM Valeo unit, late last year.) I should also note, I have tested the battery and it holds a charge without issue, and there has been times after an extended drive, it has been fully discharged by the next morning. (when driving, the Bluebus unit is always on)

I've had the car without battery issues for the 3 years of ownership, and the battery becoming fully discharged, started right after installing my Bluebus unit in spring - and it does seem a condition where the unit may not be turning off fully at times. (not saying it is the reason, but just noting the coincidence in re: timing)
              unfortunately no progress. I tried logging it and I did it wrong. Should be going back this weekend but I need more info from ted since Im not that great with technology. Going to email him back now.

Comment

Originally posted by R1pilot View Post
                Just popping in to say that I bought an e83 X3 in Seattle to drive back to Florida with the family and took my Bluebus with me after reading it would work in that car. After connecting it, the sound was awful, I contacted Ted and right away he knew what the problem was and how to fix it. He went back and forth with me in emails until I was able to get it up and going.

Driving through Montana/Idaho/Wyo without radio would have certainly ended up in my not making it back with my three kids ... someone would have died, lol.

I cant say enough good things about Ted and his awesome customer service.

Thanks Ted!!
                Thanks for the positive feedback! I'm glad everyone made it back alive

Originally posted by Chas3n View Post

Do you recall the fuse numbers? I have an excuse to take the m3 out of the garage tonight and figured I can try this real quick.

Edit: pulled fuses 7 and 41, cycled key, reinstalled fuses. Blubus now working as intended.

This shouldn't have happened to begin with -- please install the update linked below.

Originally posted by strummr View Post

Originally posted by Rekpoint View Post

unfortunately no progress. I tried logging it and I did it wrong. Should be going back this weekend but I need more info from ted since Im not that great with technology. Going to email him back now.
                To close the loop on this, the log file showed the ignition going off, but the BlueBus was writing the radio UI.

Upon closer inspection of the messages, the ignition off message was seen by the BlueBus and the phone was disconnected, but the radio did NOT tell the CD Changer (BlueBus in this case) to stop playing. The effect here is that without the stop playing message, the BlueBus didn't update its internal state to know that it should no longer be writing the display.

I fixed this by adding code to update the internal state when the ignition off message was seen, only if the "stop playback" message had not already been processed.

I believe this to be a bug with the specific software revision of the radio as I have never encountered this in the past.

Nevertheless, it is fixed in this software revision:

Update instructions are here: https://github.com/tedsalmon/BlueBus...rmware-Upgrade

Thanks!
                -Ted

Comment

Just installed the latest firmware and disconnected the trickle charger as I've been having the same parasitic drain issues, but didn't have the time to chase it down. Really hoping this resolves it as I've been reluctant to go anywhere and park it for more than a few minutes.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by t3ddftw View Post

This shouldn't have happened to begin with -- please install the update linked below.

To close the loop on this, the log file showed the ignition going off, but the BlueBus was writing the radio UI.

Upon closer inspection of the messages, the ignition off message was seen by the BlueBus and the phone was disconnected, but the radio did NOT tell the CD Changer (BlueBus in this case) to stop playing. The effect here is that without the stop playing message, the BlueBus didn't update its internal state to know that it should no longer be writing the display.

I fixed this by adding code to update the internal state when the ignition off message was seen, only if the "stop playback" message had not already been processed.

I believe this to be a bug with the specific software revision of the radio as I have never encountered this in the past.

Update instructions are here: https://github.com/tedsalmon/BlueBus...rmware-Upgrade

Thanks!
                    -Ted
                    Thanks for the update. Would any new unit purchased today forward have the latest firmware?

Originally posted by duperdog View Post
                    Just installed the latest firmware and disconnected the trickle charger as I've been having the same parasitic drain issues, but didn't have the time to chase it down. Really hoping this resolves it as I've been reluctant to go anywhere and park it for more than a few minutes.

Thanks.
                    Let us know how it works out.

Comment

Thanks.
                      Let me / us know how it goes, please

Originally posted by cobra View Post
                      Thanks for the update. Would any new unit purchased today forward have the latest firmware?
                      They've already shipped from the assembly house, so they do not have the newest build on them. Burning the updated software to each unit will add some delay in fulfillment, but it's probably something I will do anyways. I can certainly do it on request, though.

Thanks!
                      -Ted

Comment

https://t3ddftw.s3.us-east-2.amazona...1_3_3_rc18.hex

Thanks!
                        -Ted
                        Ted - some newbie questions:

1) can the BlueBus simply turn off as soon as the ignition key is in the OFF position? Would this mitigate any battery drain issues.
                        2) is there anyway to make BlueBus work with just the head unit on the dashboard (i.e., all the stereo equipment in the trunk removed, to save weight)?

Comment

Let me / us know how it goes, please

They've already shipped from the assembly house, so they do not have the newest build on them. Burning the updated software to each unit will add some delay in fulfillment, but it's probably something I will do anyways. I can certainly do it on request, though.

Thanks!
                          -Ted
                          So far, no drop in voltage overnight. Will leave it for the rest of the day and see if there's any significant drain. 🤞

Comment

Originally posted by nyc951 View Post

Ted - some newbie questions:

1) can the BlueBus simply turn off as soon as the ignition key is in the OFF position? Would this mitigate any battery drain issues.
                            2) is there anyway to make BlueBus work with just the head unit on the dashboard (i.e., all the stereo equipment in the trunk removed, to save weight)?
                            1. No, this is far more nuanced. The CD Changer (BlueBus) is given constant voltage and then expected to turn off on a timer and back on when there's bus activity. If I turn off as soon as the ignition is turned off, the unit will immediately get turned back on by activity on the bus as modules do not stop speaking for about 30 seconds after the key is removed from the car. Further, if you sit in the car for any amount of time with the key out, then open the door, the electronics (including the BlueBus) will turn back on. For that reason, there's a bus inactivity timer that dictates if the unit should go to sleep or not

2. This was the "spec" for some Euro cars. You'll sacrifice a ton of audio quality, but the radio can be directly wired to the speakers to drive them, which allows you to rip the amplifier out.

-Ted

Comment

So far, no drop in voltage overnight. Will leave it for the rest of the day and see if there's any significant drain. 🤞
                              Let it sit again overnight. Small drop in voltage, but nothing significant and it fired right up.

Thanks Ted, I think we're good!

Comment

Let it sit again overnight. Small drop in voltage, but nothing significant and it fired right up.

Thanks Ted, I think we're good!
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952goc5gt957c55725xojk7wk7tn1wy30x9zyvre2c9&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g.gif
Views:	298
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	230694

Glad to hear it!

Comment

Working...
                                X