BlueBus: A fully integrated A2DP Bluetooth solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stephen View Post

Besides the screen not being an upgrade, I am curious, what else makes the CD54 a downgrade?
    I was tempted by a CD54 a few times, even before getting a Bluebus.

I never pulled the plug because of reliability concerns. It’s supposed to sound better than the CD53, but you see a lot of reports of faulty sound (sound missing from some speakers, weird cracking) and dead pixels on the display. The vast majority of units for sale have those issues.

That and the high prices have put me off. I’ll stick with my trusty CD53. It might not sound the best, but at least it’s reliable and, thanks to Ted and the Bluebus, has 21st century functionality.
    2003 Stahlblau E46 320d Touring – 6MT
    2001 Topasblau E39 530i – 5MT

Comment

Hello,

t3ddftw after month of not using it.
      I replugged it to the car this morning (even with the bug because of low temps... never found the time to send it back to you, so I will forget this.. I added glass wool inside it, maybe it will workaround the issue).

I can't remember if the firwmare was already 1.3 or not, but I flashed it this morning before installing it back in the car.

Everything work as before, except call audio...
      My friend hear himself when he talks...
      No matter the settings I try with mic offset, if I lower it too much, he can't here me (something good seems to be near -17 / -15 db)

And I must lower sound volume, but then it is hard for me to hear him talk...

I don't recall having this issue before this morning...

I'm using OEM mic in the car (DSP digital enabled for sound)
      Hardware is 1.x

(M5 E39 2002 with DSP & 16/9 NAV)
      Last edited by Orphee; 12-06-2023, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Orphee View Post
        Hello,

t3ddftw after month of not using it.
        I replugged it to the car this morning (even with the bug because of low temps... never found the time to send it back to you, so I will forget this.. I added glass wool inside it, maybe it will workaround the issue).

I can't remember if the firwmare was already 1.3 or not, but I flashed it this morning before installing it back in the car.

Everything work as before, except call audio...
        My friend hear himself when he talks...
        No matter the settings I try with mic offset, if I lower it too much, he can't here me (something good seems to be near -17 / -15 db)

And I must lower sound volume, but then it is hard for me to hear him talk...

I don't recall having this issue before this morning...

I'm using OEM mic in the car (DSP digital enabled for sound)
        Hardware is 1.x

(M5 E39 2002 with DSP & 16/9 NAV)
        I can swap it out for a 2.x version too, but you'll have to wait until next month.

For your call audio issue, please follow this guide: https://github.com/tedsalmon/BlueBus...-Voice-Capture

Thanks!
        -Ted

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	11.6 KB ID:	244659

Let's test !

Edit : : Fixed ! Many thanks
          I'll see if glass wool does work.. if not, i'll consider sending it back to you
          Last edited by Orphee; 12-06-2023, 05:20 AM.

Comment

I have a little bug with volume management with rear gear.

I have Front and Back PDC genuine on the car.

The PDC automaticaly enables itself when you engage the rear gear, and it keeps ON even if you remove the rear gear until you speed up forward like 20 or 30 km/h.

When I engage rear gear, it works as expected, the sound lower 50%.

But when I remove the rear gear, the bug appears, and sound raise up to 100% and lower again to 50% every 0,5 secs... until I manually disable PDC with the decicated button on the dashboard.
            Is it a known issue ?

Thanks.

Comment

t3ddftw I sent you an email with the logs from the Bluebus when the issue occurs.
              Thanks

Edit :
              WARNING: TRANS OUT OF REV - RAISE VOLUME -- Currently 63
              WARNING: PDC START - LOWER VOLUME -- Currently 127

I guess something could be done if PDC is detected, ignore "TRANS OUT OF REV"
              Or totally ignore "PDC START"...

I don't know if I prefer to have reduced volume even forward until PDC disable itself, or if I prefer to only have it reduce with rear gear engaged...
              Probably the 2nd option... not sure until I really use it.
              Last edited by Orphee; 12-07-2023, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	11.6 KB ID:	244659

Let's test !

Edit : : Fixed ! Many thanks
                I'll see if glass wool does work.. if not, i'll consider sending it back to you
                How did you fix the issue of your friends hearing their own echo?

Comment

I have a little bug with volume management with rear gear.

I have Front and Back PDC genuine on the car.

The PDC automaticaly enables itself when you engage the rear gear, and it keeps ON even if you remove the rear gear until you speed up forward like 20 or 30 km/h.

When I engage rear gear, it works as expected, the sound lower 50%.

But when I remove the rear gear, the bug appears, and sound raise up to 100% and lower again to 50% every 0,5 secs... until I manually disable PDC with the decicated button on the dashboard.
                  Is it a known issue ?

Thanks.
                  Ah! I didn't know that it remained active for some time. I have never had a car with PDC.

Does this car have an automatic or manual transmission?

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

How did you fix the issue of your friends hearing their own echo?
                  I think I sent you a 2.x BlueBus, right? With the blue LED? If yes, the CVC tool does not apply to you. I still don't get it, man -- no one else has had this much issue with echo. I think I've already had you test lowering the volume while you're on a call, right?

-Ted

Comment

Originally posted by t3ddftw View Post

Ah! I didn't know that it remained active for some time. I have never had a car with PDC.

I think I sent you a 2.x BlueBus, right? With the blue LED? If yes, the CVC tool does not apply to you. I still don't get it, man -- no one else has had this much issue with echo. I think I've already had you test lowering the volume while you're on a call, right?

-Ted
                    Ted

Don't know bud. Nothing changed on the car. Maybe just my luck. We will keep trying.

Comment

Originally posted by t3ddftw View Post
                      M5 E39 ! Manual
                      Once PDC is enabled, it will stay ON until you move forward like >20km/h ...
                      I don't know if the same applies for cars that only have rear PDC... Mine has rear AND front PDC. It let warn you for obstacles in front of the car while maneuvering.

I tested with cold temp (7°C outside) bluetooth KO... phone was not connecting to the car...
                      I will have to send it back to you... But I would like it to be repaired, I prefer to keep caller ID and automatic volume management...
                      Last edited by Orphee; 12-07-2023, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Maybe I am dumb but I am confused about installing my bluebus.

05 M3 with factory bluetooth TCU thing. It had the black 54 pin and 3 coax cables connected to it. I removed it and started searching for the connectors that would fit the Bluebus.

On the upper part of the harness underneath a foam/velcro cover I found some connectors:
                        -Blue 26 pin with jumper block attached.
                        -Purple coax
                        -3 Pin that fits the bluebus
                        -I connected the telephone connector from Ted to the 54 pin connector that was plugged into the TCU
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	20231226_170149.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	246989

Below the 2 cubbies, I found another bundle of wires wrapped in foam that contain
                        -another 3-pin connector that also fits the bluebus
                        -The 6 pin that fits

Name:	20231226_170100.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	246988

So... which 3 pin connector goes into the bluebus?
                        Do I leave the jumper on the blue 26 pin connector?
                        Does anything plug into the coax connector on the bluebus?
                        Does anything plug into the 3.5mm on the bluebus?

Was I correct in removing the factory TCU completely or does it need to stay installed for some functionality?

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
                          So... which 3 pin connector goes into the bluebus?
                          Do I leave the jumper on the blue 26 pin connector?
                          Does anything plug into the coax connector on the bluebus?
                          Does anything plug into the 3.5mm on the bluebus?

Was I correct in removing the factory TCU completely or does it need to stay installed for some functionality?
                          1. The 3-pin that's bundled with the six-pin. The other 3-pin won't power the BlueBus, so there's also that
                          2. Yes, please.
                          3. No, the coax cables are antenna inputs on the E46, so they're unused on the BlueBus.
                          4. Nope. This is for an aftermarket microphone
                          5. Yes, the TCU should be removed -- keeping it would cause contention as two "Telephone modules" would be on the bus.

Thanks!
                          -Ted

Comment

Thanks Ted!

Got it working. Couple questions:

1. Every so often, it will get stuck showing the below screen instead of Bluetooth or the metadata. Is that normal? If I press '2' it will go back to showing the correct thing.
                            2. The volume setting on my phone doesn't affect the music volume, is that right? I am fine with it because it's perfectly matched to the radio and CD volume.
                            3. Will I get a call ringer if I get a call while listening to music? And can I then answer a phone call using a button on my steering wheel, or only with button '3'?

The audio sounds great and is nice and fast!

Name:	image.png
Views:	276
Size:	876.7 KB
ID:	246996

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
                              Thanks Ted!

Got it working. Couple questions:

1. Every so often, it will get stuck showing the below screen instead of Bluetooth or the metadata. Is that normal? If I press '2' it will go back to showing the correct thing.
                              2. The volume setting on my phone doesn't affect the music volume, is that right? I am fine with it because it's perfectly matched to the radio and CD volume.
                              3. Will I get a call ringer if I get a call while listening to music? And can I then answer a phone call using a button on my steering wheel, or only with button '3'?

The audio sounds great and is nice and fast!

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	36 Size:	876.7 KB ID:	246996
                              1. This is because you're hitting "2", which is "stop overriding the display". "2" is the only way to change the fader / balance or show the clock. Here are the full instructions: https://github.com/tedsalmon/BlueBus...Single-Line-UI
                              2. Yes, that's by design at this point. Original BlueBus units allowed control of the volume from the phone which caused issues due to over amplification on the vehicle end.
                              3. Yes and yes. In band ringing is enabled, and the talking head button can be used to answer and hang up a call

Thanks!
                              -Ted

Comment

This thing is awesome! I love how it seamlessly connects and just works. After figuring out which plugs to use, the install went pretty smooth. I mounted it where the old bluetooth module was, and zip-tied everything down so it wont rattle around.

Name:	bluebus.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	248668

Comment

Working...
                                X