Broken Oil Pump Tensioner Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cobra View Post
    I got the timing cover off. That was really easy. A couple taps with a mallet and it just popped off. The head gasket is the typical viton-coated MLS gasket it looks like. I think I will be able to seal it up no problem with some carefully placed low-viscosity MotoSeal.

Couple more questions.

1. Should I try installing the cover first, then the seal, or install the seal into the cover first? To me it seems like installing the seal afterward would be easier than trying to wedge the cover in there, aligning both the dowels and the seal at the same time.

2. What makes installing the seal difficult? I have installed hundreds of seals and never had a problem damaging them. I just wrap a little electrical tape around the sharp metal edge, grease it up, and slide it on. Then I could tap it into the timing cover with a piece of tube?

By the way, here is my oil pump tensioner removed. Amazing how brittle this plastic is. I can't be the only person to have broken it while messing with the oil pump???
    Click image for larger version  Name:	8646464141664306814.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.3 KB ID:	124527
    1. I did the timing case cover first then the seal. The seal will fit tightly around the case/crank so I suspect you’d have a harder time doing it with the seal on.

2. I simply lightly lubed up mine and used the ring off c clamp that close let matches the OD if the seal. Tapped it with a hammer and all is well. Just pay attention to how far into the case cover it is right now. TIS calls for 2-4mm past case seal lip IIRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

1. Should I try installing the cover first, then the seal, or install the seal into the cover first? To me it seems like installing the seal afterward would be easier than trying to wedge the cover in there, aligning both the dowels and the seal at the same time.
      Install the cover first, then the seal

2. What makes installing the seal difficult? I have installed hundreds of seals and never had a problem damaging them. I just wrap a little electrical tape around the sharp metal edge, grease it up, and slide it on. Then I could tap it into the timing cover with a piece of tube?
      The part of the seal that seals against the crankshaft is super fragile. If you don't get it to slide on perfectly, you'll tear the seal. It's not one of those spring type radial seals, it's just a very thin piece of rubber on the inside of the seal. Kinda hard to put into words, but you'll understand when you have it in your hands.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Thanks guys.

One more question. The timing gears attached to the crank, can they be removed by simply removing the small allen bolt in the middle and releasing the tensioner up above?

Can the oil pump chain be replaced without changing the sprockets?

I'm seeing some recommendations to replace the chain and tensioner both, and figure since I'm all the way in here maybe it makes sense.

Comment

You’re gonna have to time the engine. You can remove the timing chain tensioner and might be able to get the lower sprocket on.

I’d just reuse the oil pump chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys.

One more question. The timing gears attached to the crank
            What is the crank timing gear? Sprocket or the timing encoder ring near the flywheel end?

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

What is the crank timing gear? Sprocket or the timing encoder ring near the flywheel end?
              The sprocket in front, on which the timing chain and oil pump chain are driven.

Comment

Working...
              X