No announcement yet.

Ohlins R&T Spring/Sway Choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of data points here but not that much consensus for a mainly street car.

Looking to install mine soon... perhaps Ohlins got it right with the included springs/rates?
    Last edited by freshprince2421; 12-01-2023, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by freshprince2421 View Post
      ...perhaps Ohlins got it right with the included springs/rates?
      Yes. Ohlins got it right for (mainly) a street car.

Comment

Originally posted by freshprince2421 View Post
        Lots of data points here but not that much consensus for a mainly street car.

Looking to install mine soon... perhaps Ohlins got it right with the included springs/rates?
        My question is then why did they go more "flat ride" on e9x?

400/628 e46 vs 342/685 for e9x.

Did they learn something?

Though perhaps it's due to something like e9x front end being more rigid thus requiring less spring idk.
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by OldRanger View Post

Yes. Ohlins got it right for (mainly) a street car.
          400lbs is way too much for street e46 imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

Though perhaps it's due to something like e9x front end being more rigid thus requiring less spring idk.
            I was told Ohlins went more “road” on the E9x and more “track” on the e46 due to their perception of intended use.

342 definitely feels better up front. When I change out my diff, I’m going to put the original 628 springs back in the rear as it’s flat ride and I’m a glutton for punishment.

Comment

I (1) question whether or not there was a learning curve for Ohlins between the E46 and the E9X, and (2) generally discourage comparisons on spring rates between the two.

1) Based on a brief Google search, I believe Ohlins released the R&T for the E46 in late 2012. I believe the E9X R&T suspension was released at about the same time (early 2013)? Does anyone know if that’s accurate?

2) The M3 aftermarket in 2013 would have been vast, with a wide variety of driver preferences. I would tend to agree with LSB on likely motives and market analysis.

Those Ohlins design teams ended up making a tough choice. Taking a stab at spring rates (which are inextricably linked to ride height) and choosing one spring for the E46 M3 would have been difficult. Choosing only one spring rate for the various E9x drivers in 2013 would have been even more daunting. The newer E9X had a sedan version, and automatic electronic damping control. That would have been seemingly impossible to choose an ideal spring rate for such a multipurpose, adaptable car.

Personally, having owned a new E90 with the EDC (in the past) and now an e46 with Ohlins R&T, I don’t think Ohlins could have made anything better for the road than what was original with the E9x. So, another guess on how they chose spring rates would be they simply offered a replacement “shock” and spring for failed OEM EDC systems and needed to stay close to OEM feel.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRanger View Post

Personally, having owned a new E90 with the EDC (in the past) and now an e46 with Ohlins R&T, I don’t think Ohlins could have made anything better for the road than what was original with the E9x. So, another guess on how they chose spring rates would be they simply offered a replacement “shock” and spring for failed OEM EDC systems and needed to stay close to OEM feel.
                I had Ohlins on my ZCP e92. They were infinitely better than EDC.

I haven’t had a better handling, better behaved car than that e92. Some cars do certain things better, but none have been a better total package (admittedly, with all my mods).
                Last edited by LSB4Me; 12-02-2023, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Good to hear! I have a set for my e90 waiting for install.

Comment

Good to hear! I have a set for my e90 waiting for install.
                    Word to the wise, don’t skip the solid subframe bushings on that e90. Game changer.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by LSB4Me View Post

Word to the wise, don’t skip the solid subframe bushings on that e90. Game changer.
                      Ya, did them on my e82 (same subframe). Still have the tool.

I didn't know you had an e92 btw! Incredible car. People get mad when I say it's better than the e46, though e46 wins a couple of comparos.
                      Last edited by Tbonem3; 12-03-2023, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Ya, did them on my e82 (same subframe). Still have the tool.

I didn't know you had an e92 btw! Incredible car. People get mad when I say it's better than the e46, though e46 wins a couple of comparos.
                        Definitely go solid on the e90. It solidifies (hah) the rear and makes everything more direct and predictable.

To bring things back on topic, stock vs stock, the e46 is better (imo). When modded, the e9x is tough to beat. Ohlins on the e92 resulted in the go-kart-like chassis we love about the e46. It made the car feel less fat/bloated.

I laughed the day I drove home from the shop after unmodding my e92. Having driven the car on point for so many years, I couldn’t imagine someone trying to tell me the car was “good” as stock.
                        Last edited by LSB4Me; 12-03-2023, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Since the E46 R&T kit is designed to work with the stock upper front strut mount I am wondering if the front Ohlins springs are cone shaped, or is the lower perch as large as the upper strut mount.

TIA
                          Last edited by D-O; 03-22-2024, 12:20 PM.
                          Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Ohlins front springs match OE up top, so that they can use stock hats, as you say. The bottom pigtail coils down to 65mm (2.5") ID to sit on the 65mm bottom perch. Can also accept 63.5mm.

Comment

Ohlins front springs match OE up top, so that they can use stock hats, as you say. The bottom pigtail coils down to 65mm (2.5") ID to sit on the 65mm bottom perch. Can also accept 63.5mm.
                              Many thanks. Think I could use the R&T springs on a 60MM TCK lower perch with the Turner Hybrid camber plate up top?
                              Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post

Many thanks. Think I could use the R&T springs on a 60MM TCK lower perch with the Turner Hybrid camber plate up top?
                                I know common 63.5mm springs still have enough material siting on a 60mm perch, but I don't know if Ohlin's 65mm sping being just a little wider makes that situation dangerous.

You could make or find, or have made, a thin steel donut that has 60mm ID and 65mm od.

Comment

Working...
                                X