Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which section 2 ? SS x pipe or SS Dual pipe resonated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which section 2 ? SS x pipe or SS Dual pipe resonated?

Ok guys, I recently had a bunch of work done on my car. I'm VERY happy with the results from new rod bearings, beisan vanos, cooling system overhaul, euro headers + cats, HTE tune, and eventuri intake. I do find my car to be a bit raspy.. Yes I know, OEM euro are one of the raspiest headers as I've read other threads on here. I wanted the guaranteed OEM fitment.

Now I would like to address this rasp issue. I currently have a B&B triflo sec 3 on my car. I was wondering if my car is underpowered for the SS dual resonated section 2? I've read a few threads about the SS X pipe sec 2 actually losing power in some cars. If I gain a little power on the butt dyno then great.. If not I don't want to lose any power either.

I was also thinking maybe a milltek section 2 which is a bit larger than stock 2.37-inch (60.32mm). Martyn has one and he seemed to like it.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by DropTopKingM3; 10-20-2021, 10:32 PM.

I cannot comment on butt dyno increases. I went from OEM Euro header, sec 1, sec 2, scza to SSV1 sec2 dual res and scza (the butt dyno increase here was mostly due to SSv1s). Rasp was considerably reduced. I dont think it will be as reduced with just a sec 2 dual resonated but it will go down. The main factor from OEM Sec2 to SS dual res is the thickness of the steel and diameter, they will both reduce rasp. SS resonator is also larger than stock. The SS X pipe with res seems to produce the best sound from videos and most experiences here. IMO you cant go wrong with either, but I prefer SS dual Res as it keeps the stock exhaust design. Not a fan of anything that deviates from stock, I'm a bit biased.
    2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT
    M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/CatCams 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Strictly from a noise / rasp reduction perspective… SS resonated x pipe was best enhancement I’ve done to exhaust. I noticed no difference for better or worse in performance. I have convertible with headers as well, and that rasp was INTENSE, made more so by less sound deadening etc as provided by the coup.

Comment

What does the SS resonated X pipe look like?

Does it only come in a 2.25 inch or 2.5 inch?

I see two versions on ECS.

Comment

Originally posted by loudspeaker69 View Post

Supersprint makes four section 2s for this car:
          The first two are what OP called the x pipe and the last two are the dual pipe.
          Last edited by heinzboehmer; 10-21-2021, 04:41 PM.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by loudspeaker69 View Post

For e46 m3 They don’t make a “proper” (true) x-pipe it’s a twin y-pipe.
            they do have x pipe for the s50b32 in e36 chassis

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Supersprint makes four section 2s for this car:
              The first two are what OP called the x pipe and the last two are the dual pipe.
              what is the sound difference between the single/twin resonated section 2's?

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post

what is the sound difference between the single/twin resonated section 2's?
                Maybe bmw m3 s50 knows. He has the single for sale at the moment.
                '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

Maybe bmw m3 s50 knows. He has the single for sale at the moment.
                  Unfortunately, I can not comment on the SS twin resonated pipe vs single SS resonated pipe. I actually own the SS twin pipe resonated pipe but have not install it yet. So no experience as of yet.

Just as a reminder, the section 2 is only one piece of the exhaust system. The exhaust sound is the result of the entire exhaust system not just one piece. The combination of headers, section 1, section 2, and muffler will determine the sound the system makes.

My experience has been that going from dual to single pipe will increase the noise level of the exhaust.

Comment

Think of the sound levels as pressure related to flow. The narrower the pipe cross section, the less flow but more pressure and in this case sound.

As you increase the diameter there is more flow hence less pressure therefore you'll get less sound.
                    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Thank you guys for your responses. I'm going to reiterate one of the questions that I asked in the original post. If I go with the dual H section with the resonator will I lose power? It's rated for cars with certain mods and power. Im not sure if I qualify with some mild bolt-ons such as euro headers and euro sec 1, eventuri intake, and HTE tune. If I don't make anything extra that's ok... If I do then that will be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by bmw m3 s50 View Post

Unfortunately, I can not comment on the SS twin resonated pipe vs single SS resonated pipe. I actually own the SS twin pipe resonated pipe but have not install it yet. So no experience as of yet.

Just as a reminder, the section 2 is only one piece of the exhaust system. The exhaust sound is the result of the entire exhaust system not just one piece. The combination of headers, section 1, section 2, and muffler will determine the sound the system makes.

My experience has been that going from dual to single pipe will increase the noise level of the exhaust.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the Dual Resonated Section 2 (2.25” or 63.5mm) after install?

Just wondering if it will kill all the rasp while retaining a pleasant sound.

Comment

Originally posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post
                          Thank you guys for your responses. I'm going to reiterate one of the questions that I asked in the original post. If I go with the dual H section with the resonator will I lose power? It's rated for cars with certain mods and power. Im not sure if I qualify with some mild bolt-ons such as euro headers and euro sec 1, eventuri intake, and HTE tune. If I don't make anything extra that's ok... If I do then that will be awesome.
                          Absolutely not.
                          '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Running a resonated x-pipe with Eisenmann sport now and IMO it has nearly eliminated the rasp. Driving with the rear seats down I get 2JZ associations with the exhaust sound now, not that it's very loud and my carbon airbox overpowers it greatly. Power was noticeably increased ditching the OEM back box to the Eisenmann Sport, which I can only attribute to better flow and less weight.

It is to my understanding that the rasp is mostly down to the way the firing order and the dual pipe exhaust is run. Going to an x-pipe section 2 combines the exhaust pulses from the 2 banks to reduce this rasp (read this somewhere but I understand it's not very scientific). I can only concur with it though after getting less rasp with an x-pipe section 2. Rest is CPI headers, 100cell stainless steel cats, SS resonated X-pipe and Eisenmann Sport.

Regards

Comment

Has anyone had any experience with the SS dual pipe - resonated 2.25 inch (63.5mm) piece ?

Wondering if this has eliminated the rasp completely ?

Comment

Working...
                              X