S54 oil pump chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snaponbob View Post

I am starting to lean on "fahgetaboudit" (said with a New Joizey accent).
    I definitely started to read that differently haha

but in all seriousness, just depends on how deep you wanna go. If you take the timing cover off to replace the tensioner, then theres a slew of other worthwhile maintenance to be done

Comment

Originally posted by Chanman1029 View Post

I definitely started to read that differently haha

but in all seriousness, just depends on how deep you wanna go. If you take the timing cover off to replace the tensioner, then theres a slew of other worthwhile maintenance to be done
      Yup. Based on the lack of damage, and the condition of the chain, I'm going to pass.

Comment

When you pull the timing cover, you're supposed to replace the head gasket and vice versa. You risk a leak. Me? I'd just pull the timing cover and risk it. But for those that angle torque front reinforcement plate bolts...you should be pulling the head off if you pull the timing cover.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
          When you pull the timing cover, you're supposed to replace the head gasket and vice versa. You risk a leak. Me? I'd just pull the timing cover and risk it. But for those that angle torque front reinforcement plate bolts...you should be pulling the head off if you pull the timing cover.
          Not sure how that could even happen. While the M54 has three 6mm bolts (that tighten to [IIRC] 89 in/lbs) the secure the top of the front cover to the head, the S54 is not built that way. The oil pan sandwiches the cover to the head (and thus the gasket) but there are no bolts the drop through the head to it. I could imagine oil seeping up there, but not coolant.

Where did you read that?

Comment

Not sure how that could even happen. While the M54 has three 6mm bolts (that tighten to [IIRC] 89 in/lbs) the secure the top of the front cover to the head, the S54 is not built that way. The oil pan sandwiches the cover to the head (and thus the gasket) but there are no bolts the drop through the head to it. I could imagine oil seeping up there, but not coolant.

Where did you read that?
            There are 2 bolts that go through the head into the front cover. Just lil M6 bolts.

I don't see where he said coolant, the risk of leaking is oil. If you clean it and spooge plenty of silicone lube in there it shouldn't leak.

Honestly I wouldn't mess with it if you don't have to. It's a pain in the ass having to take everything apart and clean stuff and then reinstall the front main seal. Only reason I did it is because the tensioner broke.

Comment

Mine had the same wear on the housing from the chain hitting it.

I didn't replace the oil pump chain during my rebuild, only the timing chain. Didn't replace tensioners either. My motor had 93k km at rebuild

Comment

Can anyone confirm if the timing chain on these motors actually stretches a measurable amount? I'm reassembling my motor this weekend and am trying to figure out if I need to order a chain last minute? General I was under the impression that these don't really stretch much... I have all new timing guides (all 3 and the oil pump chain guide) as well as a brand new spring tensioner. Debating if the chain really is worth an extra $100 if it will pay off in the long run? Anyone here who has actually built an S54 here care to share their insight?
                2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
                2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post

There are 2 bolts that go through the head into the front cover. Just lil M6 bolts.

I don't see where he said coolant, the risk of leaking is oil. If you clean it and spooge plenty of silicone lube in there it shouldn't leak.

Honestly I wouldn't mess with it if you don't have to. It's a pain in the ass having to take everything apart and clean stuff and then reinstall the front main seal. Only reason I did it is because the tensioner broke.
                  You are correct about the "coolant" error on my part. However, in looking at realoem, and pictures of the front cover, there are no bolts listed nor holes for them EXCEPT two short 6mm bolts/screws at the leading edge of the head, and they are torques at 89 in/lbs. The configuration is not like M50/52/54 engines. In my case, the oil pan has been removed. So, placing the cover back in place is easy. It WOULD be an issue with the oil pan in place. As for the idea that a head gasket must be replaced is silly if the pan is dropped.

For reference here is the M54 cover ---

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post
                    Can anyone confirm if the timing chain on these motors actually stretches a measurable amount? I'm reassembling my motor this weekend and am trying to figure out if I need to order a chain last minute? General I was under the impression that these don't really stretch much... I have all new timing guides (all 3 and the oil pump chain guide) as well as a brand new spring tensioner. Debating if the chain really is worth an extra $100 if it will pay off in the long run? Anyone here who has actually built an S54 here care to share their insight?
                    If you have the engine out and are rebuilding it, NOT replacing both chains is like jumping over a bag of quarters to pick up a nickel !!!

BTW, the genuine chain is under $60 at FPC and the IWIS chain is $15.

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post
                      I think someone previously posted in this thread noting some visible stretch in the chain compared to new.

Comment

Originally posted by Syfon View Post
                        Mine had the same wear on the housing from the chain hitting it.

I didn't replace the oil pump chain during my rebuild, only the timing chain. Didn't replace tensioners either. My motor had 93k km at rebuild
                        Young engine !!! Mine has 155K miles, so 250k km.

Comment

Imagine going through all this 20 years ago -- without all the forums, and dial up modems !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

You are correct about the "coolant" error on my part. However, in looking at realoem, and pictures of the front cover, there are no bolts listed nor holes for them EXCEPT two short 6mm bolts/screws at the leading edge of the head, and they are torques at 89 in/lbs. The configuration is not like M50/52/54 engines. In my case, the oil pan has been removed. So, placing the cover back in place is easy. It WOULD be an issue with the oil pan in place. As for the idea that a head gasket must be replaced is silly if the pan is dropped.

For reference here is the M54 cover ---

The issue is that the timing chain cover has dowels that go into the block, so it's not as easy as just undoing the two top bolts and dropping the cover down.
                            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

The issue is that the timing chain cover has dowels that go into the block, so it's not as easy as just undoing the two top bolts and dropping the cover down.
                              That is a different aspect of this. But, I have done this on multiple times on S & M 50s and 52s and an M54. It is not at all difficult to slide the cover into place over the dowels without damaging anything. Making sure things are NOT dry is important.

Comment

If you have the engine out and are rebuilding it, NOT replacing both chains is like jumping over a bag of quarters to pick up a nickel !!!

BTW, the genuine chain is under $60 at FPC and the IWIS chain is $15.
                                God dammit lol. I am already 12k into this top end refresh. Have literally replaced everything attached that is replaceable so why not. I have the block in the car but the timing cover and head are off. With the timing cover off, Will there be any access issues changing the chain with the pan attached? If not, I will order them today. Can anyone confirm if IWIS is indeed the OEM supplier?
                                2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
                                2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Working...
                                X