S54 oil pump chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sapote View Post
    Right, it is to avoid oil leaking out between the head and top of timing cover. So the head gasket has the thin sealant beads to be compressed by the head onto the timing cover to seal. So if the head is attached to the block, and you slide the cover horizontally to the block, through the dowel pin, the timing cover will scrap off and damage the head gasket sealant beads, no other way around this. People doing this way tried to fix the problem by adding sealant to the head gasket and to the top surface of the cover, but during installation, the cover will wipe off the soft sealant and no guarantee there is enough sealant left on the surfaces to seal the oil. It's a risky method compared to install the timing cover first, then the head on it.
    I have NOT said I reinstall front covers "horizontally". I have stated that is do that with the pan off. FAR different. Installing the front cover with the head and pan in place is a method that almost GUARANTEES a leak -- or TWO !!! I thought I would clarify that. How careful and aware am I about the portion of engine? When I have a a 50 or 52 block decked, I have the machine shop install the front cover to match the surfaces. I may be a "shadetree" mechanic, but only because I don't have a business license. Some "indies" actually call me for input from time to time, and even "subbed" 30s or 36s to me. Comebacks suck, so I avoid them. And in 14 years, only two, and they were vacuum leaks. (Solved that some years ago with a smoke tester.)

Comment

Originally posted by snaponbob View Post
      I have NOT said I reinstall front covers "horizontally". I have stated that is do that with the pan off.
      We all fully aware that you will install the chain cover with the oil pan off, but you have to install the chain cover by pushing it to the block horizontally due to the dowel pin, as it is the only way with pan or not.
      No one here doubt about your skill, but the situation with the head in there, the gasket sealing surface will be scrapped on stead of pressed on.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
        We all fully aware that you will install the chain cover with the oil pan off, but you have to install the chain cover by pushing it to the block horizontally due to the dowel pin, as it is the only way with pan or not.
        No one here doubt about your skill, but the situation with the head in there, the gasket sealing surface will be scrapped on stead of pressed on.
        Well, I guess I beat the odds with the ones I've done !!

Comment

Originally posted by snaponbob View Post

Well, I guess I beat the odds with the ones I've done !!
          I think it is very possible to be OK without removing the head. But there is that chance. Before tackling this job, I think it would be good to know that there is this possibility. Me? I'd just leave the head on and take the chance.

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post
            Can anyone confirm if the timing chain on these motors actually stretches a measurable amount? I'm reassembling my motor this weekend and am trying to figure out if I need to order a chain last minute? General I was under the impression that these don't really stretch much... I have all new timing guides (all 3 and the oil pump chain guide) as well as a brand new spring tensioner. Debating if the chain really is worth an extra $100 if it will pay off in the long run? Anyone here who has actually built an S54 here care to share their insight?
            I replaced mine during the rebuild. Only reason was "while I'm in there". I did not measure the new/old chains.

Comment

That's too bad man would have been great data points.
              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Welp glad my motor is apart right now. Head is going back on this weekend but timing cover is already off so I am going to have the oil pan pulled and on reinstall the timing cover will go in first then the oil pan so no gaskets are compromised. I was already planning to do the oil pump preventatively anyways in the next 10k miles so decided to bite the bullet and ordered a new OE BMW oil pump and IWIS oil and timing chains. All tensioners were just done. Just going to have my shop do that at this point because I don't want to deal with it on jack stands, nor do I want to learn the hard way first time doing this shit lol. Car has been down almost a year while I battled health issues. I just want it done so I can start driving it again and move on.
                2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
                2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Feel better bro.
                  2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Original timing chain for anyone wondering. That would indeed be IWIS

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5545.jpeg
Views:	266
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	134810
                    Attached Files

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Comment

Did you happen to compare the lengths of the two?

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                        Did you happen to compare the lengths of the two?
                        I can lol

Comment

Working...
                        X