Is my diff completely done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
    Edited my post above. What kinda tolerance are you looking at? I thought there was room
    Don’t have exact measurement, but can barely squeeze a socket through…… right when I thought I was done (after taking out both diff bolts) I run into this 🥴

Edit: I think a closed end wrench may be my only option. Also, I did notice when I took out both diff bolts, the diff dropped very little. So I made sure the jack was under.
    Last edited by Mattn1192; 11-11-2021, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Yeah try open ended wrench.

I'm not firing on all cylinders today. Recovering from a minor operation earlier today, I should give in and just go to sleep now... 😴
      Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

I'm not firing on all cylinders today. Recovering from a minor operation earlier today, I should give in and just go to sleep now... 😴
        Check for spark, fuel and compression. Any codes present?

Jk, feel better man!

OP, not sure if the sway bar is in the way for you, but moving it out of the way might give you more room. If you unbolt the bushing brackets, you can swing it downward.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Yeah try open ended wrench.

Hope you’re doing well bro. Be easy 🤙🏽

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Jk, feel better man!

OP, not sure if the sway bar is in the way for you, but moving it out of the way might give you more room. If you unbolt the bushing brackets, you can swing it downward.
            Sway bar has been moved. It’s just the two bolts up top (in pic) does give much clearance up there. Another option would probably be a crow foot with breaker bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattn1192 View Post

Sway bar has been moved. It’s just the two bolts up top (in pic) does give much clearance up there. Another option would probably be a crow foot with breaker bar.
              They're not torqued super high (33 ft-lbs), so open ended/box wrench is probably all you need. Just watch you hands when they break loose.

Offset box wrench might make it even easier.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

When it comes to removing the top right bolt on the diff cover (without dropping diff from car) what’s the best way to do so? I’ve run into a clearance issue.
                I used an adapter 3/8" x 9/16" (HF may have them). The 9/16 hex end fitted into the 9/16 wrench, and the 3/8 square drive fitted to E14 socket. This low profile wrench clears the torsion bar easily.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Bwwahahahaaa! Legit laugh out loud at that!

Comment

Tomorrow should be the big day, stay tuned…..

Comment

Use the classic double wrench technique. Because of the cooling ribs and the vent hole you cant put a wrench in a vertical position, so has to be horizontal.

Pic borrowed from internet to illustrate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

I have my life back.

Comment

Mah dude!!!!!! Congrats! So happy to see this!!

Comment

Comment

I have my life back.
                              Great job. But if you didn't use Super glue to keep the flange on the diff, then don't take the left turn too fast, as we still don't know what had pulled it out.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Great job. But if you didn't use Super glue to keep the flange on the diff, then don't take the left turn too fast, as we still don't know what had pulled it out.
                                I made a ton of figure 8’s yesterday, no issues. A few pulls, no issues. Really have no idea what caused it to pop out. But so far it’s looking back to normal.

Comment

Working...
                                X