Slon or Karbonius CSL trunk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slon or Karbonius CSL trunk?

I decided I won't be paying the asking price for an OEM trunk since I think both Slonik and Karbonius has a better and lighter product. Which do you guys consider a better trunk and most of all, does anyone have experience with either of these trunks?
    Attached Files

Haven't seen anything regarding Slonik but there's a huge threat going around the Karbonious one and it's getting great reviews. If sloniks trunk is anything like there chassis stiffening thing you'll be getting a great product.

Comment

I think both would be better than the reps many of us have seen over the years (vorsteiner wasn't actually that great). I trust Karb. I don't think, however, I would nec bank on it having perfect fitment like oe. But it's gotta be close. It might be prudent to give them more time to perfect things like they have with the airbox.
      Last edited by Tbonem3; 11-25-2021, 08:20 PM.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I love my slon trunk. Fit like OE and carbon was on point.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210906_131249_834.jpg
Views:	911
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	139033

Comment

The last I checked around it seemed the Karbonius trunk is about 5 month wait time. Due around late March. Not sure if its still the case

Comment

I think slon is lighter too.

Not sure if that's a good or bad thing (durability wise I guess?), but it is worth considering.
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I like that Slon is lighter but Karbonius went with a finished inside look so the trunk can be run without an interior trim cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh6390 View Post
                I love my slon trunk. Fit like OE and carbon was on point.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210906_131249_834.jpg
Views:	911
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	139033
                Would you have a few more pictures? Trying to judge the fitment. Also is the exterior smooth, no carbon weave or any other imperfections seen?

Comment

I went with a Karb trunk (primed on outside, matte on inside). Placed the order about a month ago along with a CSL intake, should have 4 weeks left before it ships.

I subsequently purchased a Slonik carbon roof in this weave. Had I known more about Slon Workshop/Slonik when I went to place my Karb order, I might have only bought the intake. Slonik's trunk is mighty nice looking. I can't say enough good words about Slonik, as I said further down in that post I linked to.
                  Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 11-26-2021, 03:30 PM.
                  Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Both seem to be very good so ultimately it's a difficult choice.
                    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by pawa_k2001 View Post

Would you have a few more pictures? Trying to judge the fitment. Also is the exterior smooth, no carbon weave or any other imperfections seen?
                      Here are a couple.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	115.1 KB ID:	139197
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	image1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	69.4 KB ID:	139202
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	image4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	101.6 KB ID:	139199
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	image0.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	139.0 KB ID:	139201

Fitment is great. I did the install myself and no trimming needed whatsoever.

I had a status gruppe scza "no trim" trunk first and returned because it fit like crap.

The carbon weave is excellent. Looked so good I thought it was fake, if that makes sense. I kept the inside the dry/matte carbon. Love the look.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0361.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.4 KB ID:	139200

I contacted Slon on instagram and they responded to all my questions quickly. He gave ETA of 4 weeks and I got exactly on 4 week mark. I think it got to me in TN, in like 3 days! Freaking Amazon prime from Russia.

I think Slon is doing a 15% off for black Friday.

At the time of order, Slon said I was maybe only 2nd person in US with trunk, so trust me, I know the reservation since not a lot of review. There wasn't any when I ordered but took leap since photos seemed legit and glad I did, also Karbonius wasn't out yet. I love Karbonius products but IMO I think the emblem inside trunk looks goofy.
                      Last edited by Fresh6390; 11-26-2021, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Looks like Slon it will be. My brother has the OEM CSL trunk lid so it will be interesting to see Slon carbon compared to OEM CSL.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh6390 View Post

Here are a couple.

Click image for larger version Name:	image2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	115.1 KB ID:	139197
                          Click image for larger version Name:	image1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	69.4 KB ID:	139202
                          Click image for larger version Name:	image4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	101.6 KB ID:	139199
                          Click image for larger version Name:	image0.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	139.0 KB ID:	139201

Fitment is great. I did the install myself and no trimming needed whatsoever.

I had a status gruppe scza "no trim" trunk first and returned because it fit like crap.

The carbon weave is excellent. Looked so good I thought it was fake, if that makes sense. I kept the inside the dry/matte carbon. Love the look.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0361.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.4 KB ID:	139200

I contacted Slon on instagram and they responded to all my questions quickly. He gave ETA of 4 weeks and I got exactly on 4 week mark. I think it got to me in TN, in like 3 days! Freaking Amazon prime from Russia.

I think Slon is doing a 15% off for black Friday.

At the time of order, Slon said I was maybe only 2nd person in US with trunk, so trust me, I know the reservation since not a lot of review. There wasn't any when I ordered but took leap since photos seemed legit and glad I did, also Karbonius wasn't out yet. I love Karbonius products but IMO I think the emblem inside trunk looks goofy.
                          How is your window gap with the trunk?
                          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Working...
                          X