No announcement yet.

The carbon slicktop thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm.going to see if they're able to send any detailed pics. I saw a couple of instagram posts and it didn't seem.textured in those pics (unlike in that link I posted), however it would be nice to have a bunch of detailed pics to gauge the quality. Might just be that they used a very thin amount of clear coat on that particular roof, which would obviously be a deal breaker for some.

Some examples of their Z4 roof:
    Last edited by fullyflaredd; 11-28-2020, 04:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyflaredd View Post
      I'm.going to see if they're able to send any detailed pics. I saw a couple of instagram posts and it didn't seem.textured in those pics (unlike in that link I posted), however it would be nice to have a bunch of detailed pics to gauge the quality. Might just be that they use a very thin amount of clear coat, which obviously might be a deal breaker for some.
      I'm not sure, but I would say it is the manufacturing process. They don't mention these being made in an autoclave, which means they could just be made by wet layering it versus pre-preg CF in an autoclave like the Karb roof.

Based on the one in the Redish video, I'd say this is a "race grade" part in terms of aesthetic quality.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 5.55.56 AM.png
Views:	808
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	69979
      Last edited by Slideways; 11-28-2020, 05:00 AM.

Comment

I spoke to Geoff Steel over email and they would be interested in doing a group buy if I could get 5 or more people. The cost would be £500 for each roof + they would ship as a batch to one location for a sum of £790 (£158 each if they ship 5). This would come out to £658 per roof, or ~$875 with the current exchange rate. I'm not sure how much it would cost to ship from within the United States from one location to another, but I assume 200-300. It would be pretty ideal however if I could get 5 people interested in one location, such as California (mainly since I reside here haha, but if there's groups interested in other locations then that would be ideal for them as well). If anyone is interested, PM me and if there's enough interest I'd be happy to set something up.

I haven't been able to find much regarding their roofs on this side of the pond. This is one of the few posts I've seen regarding it: https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threa...talled.184392/
        I’d be in as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
          I saw an OE CSL roof a few months ago and I do not remember the clear coat being textured from the CF like the GS roof. It looked completely smooth.
          The several Genuine BMW CSL roofs I've seen I believe are like you said, not textured and glassy. Infact I recall having to look down into it (sun was shining) to tell it's CF as the reflection/glare hid that detail.
          6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Those that are looking for CSL roof rails, Schmiedmann may have them in stock. I was going to cancel my order as I ordered the standard rails and was going to get the roof rack slots filled and then painted gloss black, but when I emailed them they said they had it in stock and ready to go, so had to call and cancel the standard roof trim since Schmiedmann actually had them. Just gotta get my interior trim rewrapped and alcantara and I'll be ready to get this install started...

Comment

I spoke to Geoff Steel over email and they would be interested in doing a group buy if I could get 5 or more people. The cost would be £500 for each roof + they would ship as a batch to one location for a sum of £790 (£158 each if they ship 5). This would come out to £658 per roof, or ~$875 with the current exchange rate. I'm not sure how much it would cost to ship from within the United States from one location to another, but I assume 200-300. It would be pretty ideal however if I could get 5 people interested in one location, such as California (mainly since I reside here haha, but if there's groups interested in other locations then that would be ideal for them as well). If anyone is interested, PM me and if there's enough interest I'd be happy to set something up.

I haven't been able to find much regarding their roofs on this side of the pond. This is one of the few posts I've seen regarding it: https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threa...talled.184392/
              I’d be interested in a carbon roof skin from GS as well at the suggested rate, but I’m looking at their 4 door E46 version. Would this still qualify for the group buy discounted rate? Also in Southern California.
              Touring Car Build: https://instagram.com/wtcc_e46
              Buy / Sell / Trade: https://instagram.com/circuitclub_official

Comment

Originally posted by WTCC_E46 View Post

I’d be interested in a carbon roof skin from GS as well at the suggested rate, but I’m looking at their 4 door E46 version. Would this still qualify for the group buy discounted rate? Also in Southern California.
                Sure. I can go ahead and ask them. If they would include the 4 door version, then we are at 4 interested parties so far. Stiill haven't heard back from them since asking for more detailed pics, but I'll shoot them a follow up. Going to create another thread soon so I don't clutter this one.

Comment

Also I think it is very important to figure out about the finish and the surface smoothness of GS roof compare to CSL/Karb one. If those GS are csl reps as karb, I may be interested in one

Comment

Yeah that is why I'm hoping to get more pics of their current roofs. I think some people may be turned off if the finish isn't smooth and at that point I wouldn't want to bother setting something up if people's expectations aren't met. However if 7 or 8 tenths of the quality is present for less than half the price, it might be worthwhile for those looking at this primarily to save weight. I think we all understand (or hopefully we do lol) that it won't be the same quality as the karb ones.
                    Last edited by fullyflaredd; 12-08-2020, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Yeah that is why I'm hoping to get more pics of their current roofs. I think some people may be turned off if the finish isn't smooth and at that point I wouldn't want to bother setting something up if people's expectations aren't met. However if 7 or 8 tenths of the quality is present for less than half the price, it might be worthwhile for those looking at this primarily to save weight. I think we all understand (or hopefully we do lol) that it won't be the same quality as the karb ones.
                      Hopefully people would...

I'd be interested if you get that GB going

Comment

I'd also be interested in a GB, add me to the list for sure. Was waiting to do something like this with a group.

Comment

Geoff = raceparts quality, just so you know... Good luck.

Comment

maybe we could do two deliveries one in NorCal other in SoCal? Depending if we can get Buyers lined up based on the additional pics you requested.

Comment

Seems like we have enough people tentatively lined up to get this going. I still have not received any images from them. I'll follow up and send them a reminder.

Comment

Well, shop originally I was going to finally gave me a tentative price, so he's asking for over $2k for the install and i doubt it would take less than a week. Anyone else in SoCal know of a reputable shop?

Comment

Working...
                                X