The carbon slicktop thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tonggi View Post
    What size drillbit is used to remove those spot welds?
    just bought these myself. read tons of reviews on websites and apparently these bits are what body shops use with great success.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

also need lube for the bits

and to finish i also got this spotweld bit as a backup that was recommended to me by 3M autowerks, they said they use a very similar bit they get from the snapon truck but this on looks virtually identical to what they use

Last edited by nextelbuddy; 02-03-2021, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post

just bought these myself. read tons of reviews on websites and apparently these bits are what body shops use with great success.

also need lube for the bits

and to finish i also got this spotweld bit as a backup that was recommended to me by 3M autowerks, they said they use a very similar bit they get from the snapon truck but this on looks virtually identical to what they use

Curious what is the point of the third link you sent if I get the first link with the whole kit?

Thanks for hte links. I will add to my wishlist!

Comment

Curious what is the point of the third link you sent if I get the first link with the whole kit?

Thanks for hte links. I will add to my wishlist!
        It's just a different type of bit the one from the third link.I wanted to make sure I had a backup option in case something weird happened with the first option. also the bit from the third option is an 8 mm wide bit I believe whereas the one from the first option is closer to a 10 mm. So I like having both options to see which I like better

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post

It's just a different type of bit the one from the third link.I wanted to make sure I had a backup option in case something weird happened with the first option. also the bit from the third option is an 8 mm wide bit I believe whereas the one from the first option is closer to a 10 mm. So I like having both options to see which I like better
          Did you do the install yet? Which did you end up using more?

Comment

Did you do the install yet? Which did you end up using more?
            nope I haven't yet, I have a sedan so I have to wait for somebody to make my carbon fiber roof I'm just getting prepared because I'm waiting for one to get done.

Comment

Whatever happen with a possible group buy?

Comment

Originally posted by selm3 View Post
                Whatever happen with a possible group buy?
                Probably not happening given how busy they are. For everyone’s sake, I hope they allow someone to run it soon.

Personally, I grabbed one from Karbonius directly.
                2002 Jet Black · 6MT · Cinnamon · CSL Tribute

Engine · Karbonius CSL Airbox · CSL DME · Kassel MAP · Paul Claude Tuned
                Exhaust · SS Stepped V1 · SS 2.5 Res Sec 2 · SS Sport Sec 3
                Suspension · JIC Cross/ZMS RS coilovers · GC Weight Jackers · SDW RTAB · Corner balanced
                Wheels/Brakes · BBS E88 18" x 9.5" / 10.5" · Michelin Pilot Sport 4S · 996 Brembo BBK
                Exterior · Mile End CSL bumper · OE CSL trunk · Mile End CSL diffuser · OE LED taillights
                Interior · Avin Avant 4 · Llumar Air 80 Tint

Comment

I will be getting one soon and I’ve talked to three shops in SoCal (2M, EAS and Lang). They all make or carry carbon roofs and do installs. If interested and are local, let me know and maybe we can get a better deal. Not a group buy but maybe 3 of us can get some sort of discount.

im personally looking to get it done by June this year.

Comment

guys, my thoughts with my experience

due to the overall installation process cost, i'd prefer to concern about final quality of the roof.
                    as i see this upgrade, 300 or 500$ price change would not make you happy, if the roof will looks like shit at the end.
                    i'm not about internal, hided specs, which most of you wouldn't feel and forget right after roof will be installed. i'm about external view of the roof.

all carbon fiber looks the same only when you see it for the first time, "squares and squares doesn't matter". difference comes when you start to compare side by side one with another.
                    and main issue (for me), that it's like "don't think about elephants". once i get some knowledge, i can not goes back and forget it.

so i'm crazy about weight, rigidity and all this shit, but exactly on the roof - it MUST looks super perfect. yeah, the trunk or wings also must be perfect, but only before you will cover this pattern under layer of paint.

issue of the carbon fiber parts, like the roof for example - that it must be done perfect from the begin and on all stages. if it doesn't - sometimes even 5 or 6 times recoating (and yes, it's a huge labour time/money) it with the lacquer, you wouldn't get perfect result.

so i think you are concern about little bit wrong things.
                    Last edited by Slonik; 03-29-2021, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Actuary View Post
                      I will be getting one soon and I’ve talked to three shops in SoCal (2M, EAS and Lang). They all make or carry carbon roofs and do installs. If interested and are local, let me know and maybe we can get a better deal. Not a group buy but maybe 3 of us can get some sort of discount.

im personally looking to get it done by June this year.
                      I can go in for installation only if that helps. Just waiting on the additional parts for installation
                      2002 Jet Black · 6MT · Cinnamon · CSL Tribute

Engine · Karbonius CSL Airbox · CSL DME · Kassel MAP · Paul Claude Tuned
                      Exhaust · SS Stepped V1 · SS 2.5 Res Sec 2 · SS Sport Sec 3
                      Suspension · JIC Cross/ZMS RS coilovers · GC Weight Jackers · SDW RTAB · Corner balanced
                      Wheels/Brakes · BBS E88 18" x 9.5" / 10.5" · Michelin Pilot Sport 4S · 996 Brembo BBK
                      Exterior · Mile End CSL bumper · OE CSL trunk · Mile End CSL diffuser · OE LED taillights
                      Interior · Avin Avant 4 · Llumar Air 80 Tint

Comment

Anybody know a good shop in the Bay Area that can or has done this?

Also did the group buy ever happen?

Found a crack in my windshield and I've always wanted a CF roof, so this might push me there.

Comment

Anyone done the M4 style CF roof from Karbonius? Not sure how I feel about the look. Would be nice to see some pictures other than what they have on their site.

Web de Karbonius composites; diseño, elaboración y venta de piezas de fibra carbono para automoción

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post
                            I think if I had an AW/Silver/Black/IB I might roll with a CF roof, but for PY/Imola/LSB the roof body color looks better IMHO. Somebody posted some pictures of a slicktop conversion done on an Imola on M3F just before the site when down and it looks fan-fn-tastic.
                            Personally grown tired of the stark contrast of black trim (or cf) with light colors these days and do prefer subtle shades like a cf roof on a black car. Fortunately I don't have to worry about any of that because my car is sunroof-less from the factory
                            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

May I have the ballpark of the total cost of slicktop conversion, including parts and labor? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kreyes52699 View Post
                                May I have the ballpark of the total cost of slicktop conversion, including parts and labor? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                As I posted a few pages back....

RKP Roof: $1490
                                OEM Roof Bow: $116.46
                                CSL Headliner: 598.57
                                CSL Roof Molding: $524.55
                                Alcantara Headliner and Pillar Wrapping: $550
                                Sealing Gaskets: $83.01
                                Sound Dampening Material, 20sq ft: $117.17
                                Heat Insulation: Second Skin Mega Zorbe, 8sq ft: $137
                                Windshield: $437.53
                                Labor: $1500

Comment

Working...
                                X