The carbon slicktop thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ramo View Post

I'm interested on the labor cost as well.
    I paid $1200 by a very well known shop in my area.. They specialize in hail damage repair vehicles so they were very familiar with replace roof skins. That price also included pulling glass and thankfully, they didnt break or crack them.
    Instagram: @_Frank_Stone_

Comment

Welp, I'm chasing down a leak on my roof. I have some dampness occurring when it rains very heavily near the A pillar and right above the driver and passenger door entry way. Pretty bummed about this. I didn't remove the soft drains when I did the install. I am hoping that is the cause. Going to pull the headliner and inspect to see if I can trace where the moisture could be coming in.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
      2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Picked up the CSL specific headliner this morning. Pulling up in the X3M and the parts guys skepticism that the headliner would fit in the trunk made me laugh. It comes in this massive box, so I just asked them if I could just take the headliner out and they can toss the box and the way they were like "you should have brought a truck" was funny as I just slid the headliner into the trunk, closed the trunk and pulled away. Good stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by ra2fanatic View Post
          Picked up the CSL specific headliner this morning. Pulling up in the X3M...
          I just slid the headliner into the trunk, closed the trunk and pulled away. Good stuff!
          Just a heads up, in the box it prevents it from bending. Having just had my slicktop headliner wrapped in Alcantara (and having removed a few headliners)it is cumbersome. But when you flex the headliner it pulls the glue and foam backed stock material and can/could start premature headliner sag.
          6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by Onefastsicilian View Post
            I paid $1200 by a very well known shop in my area.. They specialize in hail damage repair vehicles so they were very familiar with replace roof skins.
            Had quote also for $1,200.

Something to note for people looking for quotes is to use a “body shop” and not a tuner shop (that wrenches on cars mostly and does roofs also) to keep labor pricing down. “Body shop” labor is usually about 1/2 the rate of a mechanic shop labor rate.

6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
              Had quote also for $1,200.

Something to note for people looking for quotes is to use a “body shop” and not a tuner shop (that wrenches on cars mostly and does roofs also) to keep labor pricing down. “Body shop” labor is usually about 1/2 the rate of a mechanic shop labor rate.

i think a caveat to that is, some "tuner" shops that specialize in the e46 M3 have enough experience in doing this mod that their pricing (and skillset) would be better than what a general body shop would provide

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post
                i think a caveat to that is, some "tuner" shops that specialize in the e46 M3 have enough experience in doing this mod that their pricing (and skillset) would be better than what a general body shop would provide
                Completely agree, was going to mention that. When dealing with aftermarket CF panels a shop that does see these and does only this roof body work has its benefits. On the other hand CF roof panels may seem cosmetic, but established body shops do roofs all the time as repairs.

*But a (euro car specialized) “body shop” rates are lower is the point when seeing different quotes on this.

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post

2M Autowerks in San Diego did my CF roof install. They have done a ton of roofs and said IND has best fitment and finish. That being said, fitment was spot on and there was one very small imperfection in the CF. Barely noticeable unless you are looking for it. Overall I was happy with the piece, but it wasn’t perfect.
                  If you don't mind me asking was the installation around ~$1k (give or take a couple hundred bucks) like other forum members have mentioned? Unfortunate about the imperfection. I'm leaning towards IND at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
                    Just a heads up, in the box it prevents it from bending. Having just had my slicktop headliner wrapped in Alcantara (and having removed a few headliners)it is cumbersome. But when you flex the headliner it pulls the glue and foam backed stock material and can/could start premature headliner sag.
                    I was going to get my headliner wrapped in alcantara as well.

Comment

IND's BF code: FRIDAY is better than what I paid shipped. So if you're on the fence about getting a CF, now is the time to take advantage of the BF pricing.

Comment

Cool video that goes a fair way into the process of replacing the roof (in german with english subtitles):

[Werbevideo]Im heutigen Video bekommt mein BMW E46 M3 sein Carbondach. Machs gut Schiebedach 😄 Viel Spaß beim schauen.#LisaYasmin #BMW #Carbon= = = = = = =...

Comment

Originally posted by ra2fanatic View Post
                          IND's BF code: FRIDAY is better than what I paid shipped. So if you're on the fence about getting a CF, now is the time to take advantage of the BF pricing.
                          Agreed.

For reference:
                          Karbonius carbon roof €1350 + €350 shipping = $1998 USD using bank transfer + 2 month wait to ship internationally

IND carbon roof $1450 shipped with BF code

Comment

I spoke to Geoff Steel over email and they would be interested in doing a group buy if I could get 5 or more people. The cost would be £500 for each roof + they would ship as a batch to one location for a sum of £790 (£158 each if they ship 5). This would come out to £658 per roof, or ~$875 with the current exchange rate. I'm not sure how much it would cost to ship from within the United States from one location to another, but I assume 200-300. It would be pretty ideal however if I could get 5 people interested in one location, such as California (mainly since I reside here haha, but if there's groups interested in other locations then that would be ideal for them as well). If anyone is interested, PM me and if there's enough interest I'd be happy to set something up.

I haven't been able to find much regarding their roofs on this side of the pond. This is one of the few posts I've seen regarding it: https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threa...talled.184392/
                            Last edited by fullyflaredd; 11-27-2020, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyflaredd View Post
                              I spoke to Geoff Steel over email and they would be interested in doing a group buy if I could get 5 or more people. The cost would be £500 for each roof + they would ship as a batch to one location for a sum of £790 (£158 each if they ship 5). This would come out to £658 per roof, or ~$875 with the current exchange rate. I'm not sure how much it would cost to ship from within the United States from one location to another, but I assume 200-300. It would be pretty ideal however if I could get 5 people interested in one location, such as California (mainly since I reside here haha, but if there's groups interested in other locations then that would be ideal for them as well). If anyone is interested, PM me and if there's enough interest I'd be happy to set something up.

I haven't been able to find much regarding their roofs on this side of the pond. This is one of the few posts I've seen regarding it: https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threa...talled.184392/
                              I'm very interested in this. I am in California as well. Can you also ask if they'll do special pricing on their carbon CSL airbox?
                              Last edited by EthanolTurbo; 11-27-2020, 11:18 PM.
                              Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by fullyflaredd View Post

I saw an OE CSL roof a few months ago and I do not remember the clear coat being textured from the CF like the GS roof. It looked completely smooth.

Comment

Working...
                                X