No announcement yet.

Nightmare dealer situation (Updated)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At a minimum dealer should have done leakdown and compression tests, and boroscoped each cylinder. Then they should have done an oil change, measuring and recording how much oil came out of the car before the oil change.
    BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post
      At a minimum dealer should have done leakdown and compression tests, and boroscoped each cylinder. Then they should have done an oil change, measuring and recording how much oil came out of the car before the oil change.
      Maybe thats something I can ask for at the 500 mile oil change appointment. They really didn’t think they had to do anything further. I was at their mercy as everything checked out so I had no leverage at that point. Ive been driving it for a few days and I’ve been trying to listen or notice anything just so I can take it back. So far it seems normal however who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyM340i View Post

Maybe thats something I can ask for at the 500 mile oil change appointment. They really didn’t think they had to do anything further. I was at their mercy as everything checked out so I had no leverage at that point. Ive been driving it for a few days and I’ve been trying to listen or notice anything just so I can take it back. So far it seems normal however who knows.
        You can probably do it on your own dime, shouldn't be too expensive at any good indy. But they should have done it, simply because now they have a way out of something is wrong there.
        BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post

You can probably do it on your own dime, shouldn't be too expensive at any good indy. But they should have done it, simply because now they have a way out of something is wrong there.
          I’m sure I can have it done however I would rather they check it and document it. When this all first started I mentioned to them how about if I have the engine checked separately at a local Indy and if they find something what will the dealer do. They immediately said well this is a used engine with over 90k miles. All engines will some some sign of wear and they shouldn’t be liable for that. That’s when they said ok how about drive it for 500 miles or so and lets send a oil sample in to see if there is any abnormal amount of metal in the oil. Then we can discuss further action. I wasn't happy however I really had no choice. Even greedy lawyers didn’t want to take this case. LOL

Comment

Even greedy lawyers didn’t want to take this case. LOL
            Greedy lawyers also tend to be lazy lawyers, especially if you want them to get paid only if they win. And your case isn’t a slam dunk. I think you’ve protected yourself about as well as you can if you get them footing a good portion of the rod bearing bill. If the engine didn’t seize I wouldn’t worry about cylinders and with forged internals it doesn’t sound like you ran it dry or hot enough for anything to deform, so you’re probably good. Oil test will show.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
              All engines make horrible noise with low oil pressure and BMW engines actually DO shut off with low oil pressure.
              This maybe true if car is not moving on the road, but I still would like to see any document about this feature.
              With car is driving on the road, no way that BMW lawyer would allow the software to shut off the engine just because low oil pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
                If the engine didn’t seize I wouldn’t worry about cylinders and with forged internals it doesn’t sound like you ran it dry or hot enough for anything to deform, so you’re probably good
                Even if engine not seized, the cam bearings may have been gouged due to lack of oil. Easy to remove the cam bearing caps and check.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

This maybe true if car is not moving on the road, but I still would like to see any document about this feature.
                  With car is driving on the road, no way that BMW lawyer would allow the software to shut off the engine just because low oil pressure.
                  100%
                  '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Alpine 330iT
                  Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                  Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

100%
                    That’s what I also thought however I’m getting conflicting answers to this.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

I need to definitely inquire more about this feature. In April, I'll be taking an electrical class and I'll see if any engineers are around to ask. The car I saw was not driving fast but it would die in gear while moving. I'd rather not be spreading some nonsense and would like something written in stone about this, or at least an engineering explanation.
                      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

I need to definitely inquire more about this feature. In April, I'll be taking an electrical class and I'll see if any engineers are around to ask. The car I saw was not driving fast but it would die in gear while moving. I'd rather not be spreading some nonsense and would like something written in stone about this, or at least an engineering explanation.
                        Yeah I would love to really know. The service director said it 100% has that as a safely measure however the Indy said he didn't think that was true. Not sure.

Comment

The service director said it 100% has that as a safely measure.
                          If he was taught about this by the factory, then there should be document for reference; ask him for the reference (I don't believe he has one to show).

Comment

Isn't this simply common sense? BMW would be out of their mind to turn a car off for any reason. Imagine someone on a highway doing 75 MPH in ATL or LA congestion and the car just turns off because the DME said to. Yeah, no. Jeebus the lawsuits over the inevitable pile ups would be unimaginable.
                            3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Well that and the fact that when you start the car it has no oil pressure for a couple seconds while its RUNNING... how would that work otherwise? Do I need to take a video of my car running with the oil pressure switch unplugged? lol
                              '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Alpine 330iT
                              Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                              Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
                                Well that and the fact that when you start the car it has no oil pressure for a couple seconds while its RUNNING... how would that work otherwise? Do I need to take a video of my car running with the oil pressure switch unplugged? lol
                                Good point.

Comment

Working...
                                X