X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M-Track Mode

Retrofitting M-track Mode on MK60-equipped E46 M3s
    Attached Files

Noob here...who's building an E46 M3 track car currently: can someone share what "M-track Mode" is/does?

Comment

It raises the threshold at which DSC kicks in
      2003.5 ///M3 - Laguna Seca Blue - Black - SMG Delete

Comment

Originally posted by sina View Post
        It raises the threshold at which DSC kicks in
        Got it, thank you. Any downsides or things to be aware of as a result of this (other than the obvious intended result)?

Comment

Originally posted by jareds941 View Post

Got it, thank you. Any downsides or things to be aware of as a result of this (other than the obvious intended result)?
          Haven't done it myself, so I can't speak to this from experience, but I haven't heard of any downsides. I think it's pretty common for people with MK60 to do it.
          2003.5 ///M3 - Laguna Seca Blue - Black - SMG Delete

Comment

I had this on my E60 M5, and was very happy when I got my 2006 E46 M3 to be able to code it in. Where the normal DSC does a lot of throttle management, kicking you off the gas too much, M-track mode puts more of the intervention into the brakes to clamp down on wheel spin (explains why my M5 rear brakes went 50% faster than my front brakes). It also allows for a little more slip angle before intervening in turns, and I've even done quick u-turns where I could keep a bit of wheel spin and a slight drift slide going in M-track mode that full DSC on would have shut down long before.

Comment

I coded M-Track mode on my 2005. It is my preferred daily driving mode. It hardly intervenes unless I am hard on the throttle from a right hand turn and offers a little bit of a safety net because while i am confident in my own abilities, I am not stubborn.
              It seems to allow about 10 feet worth of wheelspin where DSC ON just says "NO" to the slightest amount and harshes your mellow.

Comment

Originally posted by beefaroni View Post
                I coded M-Track mode on my 2005. It is my preferred daily driving mode. It hardly intervenes unless I am hard on the throttle from a right hand turn and offers a little bit of a safety net because while i am confident in my own abilities, I am not stubborn.
                It seems to allow about 10 feet worth of wheelspin where DSC ON just says "NO" to the slightest amount and harshes your mellow.
                My ZCP had it natively, and its a great in-the-middle setting. It allows the car to move around without constantly interfering and stopping the fun. It's a much safer option on the street vs not having any traction control - never know when that deer/car/motorcycle/person jumps out in front of you.
                E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

So for a car that will be driven to and from the track on the streets, but otherwise is a track car, where I'll push the DSC button, would this make a difference on track?

Also, hi Liam! We traded some messages via CL. Fellow Phoenix Yellow PDX owner.

Comment

I need to try this at some point, I end up shutting DSC off for canyons and track, too intrusive.
                    Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

So for a car that will be driven to and from the track on the streets, but otherwise is a track car, where I'll push the DSC button, would this make a difference on track?

Also, hi Liam! We traded some messages via CL. Fellow Phoenix Yellow PDX owner.
                      Hey! Of course, I remember you. How is your car coming along? I still may buy your headliner if you still have it, I've been meaning to reach out. But to answer your question, naw, you probably won't need it. Even in "track mode" it intervenes way too much on the track. Although if you're new to the car/track/tire/whatever it will give you a nice safety net at which point you can turn it off when you want to push the car further.
                      E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                      Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

I can understand the sentiment for more tail out action. It looks cool when Chris Harris Is lighting up a set of rear tires, and when he does, he barks and makes whooping sounds so it must be fun. The same goes for Tiff Needell. I like the feeling of driving close to the limit; I find it exciting to drive just under the limits of stock traction control. Seeing a brief flicker very sparingly, is my signal I’m doing it right, at least my own understanding of “right.” I guess I subscribe to: slow is smooth, smooth is fast; in like a lamb, out like a lion, etc.

Comment

Brian sharing the good stuff as always !
                          385.7whp 288.8 wtq :
                          -CSL airbox ( custom)
                          -280 272 Cat cams
                          -Custom SSV2, modified for a bigger collector
                          -Custom Section 1 2 and 3: oversized to 2.5 inch and en E9xM Xpipe
                          -TMS pullies
                          -Electric Fan
                          -HTE performance Tune :P

PM for performance Tunes

IG: https://www.instagram.com/hte_performance_tuning/

Comment

I did this over the summer and love what it's done to drivability. I put it in track mode pretty much any time I go for a drive - I wish I could set it as the default. The stock DSC kicks in way too early IMO. As I'm just getting into track days I find it's a great way to explore the limits before switching DSC off completely.

Comment

It creates a smaller margin for error so more change that DSC doesn't actually save you from a spin; but that's just physics. If it lets you have more freedom to slide, it reduces how much room it has to intervene. That said, I find this to be a fantastic safety net for track or back road use. On the highway, for instance, I always have full DSC on just in case.

Comment

Working...
                              X