M-Track Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Speed Monkey View Post
    I can understand the sentiment for more tail out action. It looks cool when Chris Harris Is lighting up a set of rear tires, and when he does, he barks and makes whooping sounds so it must be fun. The same goes for Tiff Needell. I like the feeling of driving close to the limit; I find it exciting to drive just under the limits of stock traction control. Seeing a brief flicker very sparingly, is my signal I’m doing it right, at least my own understanding of “right.” I guess I subscribe to: slow is smooth, smooth is fast; in like a lamb, out like a lion, etc.
    I think the difference, at least with regards to track driving, is something like trail braking to help the car rotate is 100% what you want to do on the track, but is generally speaking an input that a stability control system reads as something it should correct for. It's not, in my eyes, about tail out craziness, it's about being able to get the car to do what you want it do, without intervention. With that said, I'm new to the platform so I have no first hand experience with this computer and whether my example above is reality for this car

Comment

• Speed Monkey
      Speed Monkey commented
      Editing a comment
      I want to keep the peace here =P.... I was NOT at all trying to judge others, or put someone else’s liking down, and definitely trying not to condemn.

There are as many ways to drive quickly as Baskin Robins (Ben & Jerry’s?) has flavored ice cream. All those personal preference styles on driving are all on the money.

I’m a bit (maybe a lot - lol) of an “afraidy cat” of things like high speed sweepers and such. Give me an autoX where if I spin, I laugh at my inadequacy, slot it back into gear, and drive off to live another day. That’s all I’m sayin’, ya know...

If you activate the M track mode on DSC, can you fully defeat DSC and have it completely off? I remember reading you only have the option of M track or full DSC, with no ability to fully deactivate DSC.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwm3s50 View Post
      If you activate the M track mode on DSC, can you fully defeat DSC and have it completely off? I remember reading you only have the option of M track or full DSC, with no ability to fully deactivate DSC.
      I believe it becomes single press = m track mode, long press = DSC off.
      2003.5 ///M3 - Laguna Seca Blue - Black - SMG Delete

Comment

Originally posted by sina View Post

Yes this is how it works.

Comment

This is the problem with the retrofit... long press to turn everything off. At least in a zcp you have separate buttons for M track mode and DSC off so you can always quickly defeat all the nannies

Comment

What is the date range of M3s equipped with MK60s?
            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
            Instagram

Comment

Is there anything to tell the difference if your in M-track mode or full DSC off i.e. light on the dash showing the difference of M-track and full DSC off?

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                It starts around model year 2003, and extends through the end. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there is no exact month, ie. some early 03's may have it and others not.

Is there anything to tell the difference if your in M-track mode or full DSC off i.e. light on the dash showing the difference of M-track and full DSC off?
                There is a light in the cluster - in some cars its disabled and it can be enabled, in others it has to be retrofit. That arrow/cricle on the left. You can do the cluster test to see if you have it. And I believe if you do the cluster test and you do have the light that also means you have the MK60.

Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	1700
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	3147

2003.5 ///M3 - Laguna Seca Blue - Black - SMG Delete

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                  Model year 2003 (September 2002 build) and newer.

Comment

This is, IMO, one of the best mods for our cars (and free). I used to be DSC off most of the time when doing any sort of enthusiastic driving. MTM is unobtrusive enough that I leave it on unless I'm drifting or doing burnouts.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i
                    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Is there anyway to retrofit M-Track to early model M3’s like 2001 and 2002 years?

Comment

Is there anyway to retrofit M-Track to early model M3’s like 2001 and 2002 years?
                        You'd have to retrofit the MK60 ABS system, which would involve quite a bit of rewiring and some hydraulic work since the MK60 sits on the driver side, while the MK20 sat in the drug bin.

Might be the one situation where it's actually advantageous to have a RHD car.

Comment

I looked into doing this on my car, but the cost just for parts was around $1k, so I decided that it wasn't worth it. I've also read a couple of threads that say the MK20 module is less intrusive and thus comparable to M-Track mode, but I have no clue if that is true or not. Also, I'm not sure how this claim could be quantified.
                          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

I looked into doing this on my car, but the cost just for parts was around $1k, so I decided that it wasn't worth it. I've also read a couple of threads that say the MK20 module is less intrusive and thus comparable to M-Track mode, but I have no clue if that is true or not. Also, I'm not sure how this claim could be quantified.
                            Most people seem to find the opposite from what I’ve read.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

Most people seem to find the opposite from what I’ve read.
                              Makes sense, I'm very skeptical of those claims. Can't imagine the MK60 being even more intrusive than the MK20.
                              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X