No announcement yet.

Supersprint headers and cats - SAP delete/cold start/cat protection/EGT changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supersprint headers and cats - SAP delete/cold start/cat protection/EGT changes

I have just installed a set of SS V1's, SS catted section one and the SS resonated dual pipe section two. I see that some folks delete the SAP, the cold start sequence and cat protection when installing headers and performance cats. I have also read that the EGT can be tweaked to suit the SS cats.

Is any of this strictly necessary? What are the benefits of making these changes?

Thanks.

Jesse
    Old, not obsolete.

IIRC, SS advised to disable enrichment for HJS cats? Ian's posted about it before.

It's an option in the ECUwerx tool aka Martyn's tool.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Martyn Is he still active? Sent him a dm last week no response.
      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Here you go D-O

Sharing with the group the results my sweat & tears, and an unbelievable amount of time in the garage (probably too much). I've experimented with several setups (mostly retaining stock sections 2 & 3) before committing to a 2.5" system based around SS V1's. The components are: - SS V1 headers (#044001) - SS section

Based on this and Ian calling HJC, I disabled it as well.
        Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Many thanks. Looks like cat protection needs to go.

How about SAP delete, cold start, and EGT sensor tweaks?

Jesse
          Old, not obsolete.

Comment

I did everything except for the last one (EGT). YMMV

Comment

Looks like the Ecuwurx tool will disable cat protection and handle SAP delete. What would be the best way to disable cold start?

Does the EGT do anything other than monitor when cat protection should be activated?

Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
                Looks like the Ecuwurx tool will disable cat protection and handle SAP delete. What would be the best way to disable cold start?

Does the EGT do anything other than monitor when cat protection should be activated?
                SAP is cold start (air is pumped in to lean it out).

EGT only monitors temps to signal if enrichment is needed.
                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                  Yep, that's my understanding too
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Yep, that's my understanding too
                    I was trying to figure out what the EGT thing was. Now I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

SAP is cold start (air is pumped in to lean it out).

Thanks again.

I do understand the SAP pumps air in to heat the cats, I just wondered if there was more to the "cold start sequence" than that.

Does the EGT only serve to signal temps for cat protection, or is it part of the entire closed loop system?

Interesting stuff.

Jesse
                      Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
                        Does the EGT only serve to signal temps for cat protection, or is it part of the entire closed loop system?
                        Interested in the answer to this question as well. The EGT topic has popped back up in this post, however the question felt like it's directly relevant to this thread of conversation.

If you disable Cold Start and Cat Enrichment, why would you need to disable EGT? If you keep it enabled, will the DME richen the fuel mixture still? Whereas if it's disabled, it will not?

EDIT: I have both Cold Start and Cat Enrichment disabled, but do not have EGT disabled. Wondering if that's counterintuitive.

Comment

Is my understanding that EGT is used for CAT protection and adjust fueling and timing to lower exhaust temps, it would have less of a role on cold start, unless that sequence may heat up gases to a point CATs are at risk, or is used to turn off the air pump once temp is up.
                          Last edited by maupineda; 12-17-2022, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Bringing this topic back up, do we have a clear answer for whether to disable EGT in additional to disabling SAP and disabling CAT Enrichment for SS/HJS Cats?
                            2006 M3 ZCP coupe, jet black on black, 6 speed
                            2001 325xi wagon, red on beige, 5 speed

Comment

Working...
                            X