Supersprint & SCZA 2.5" System w/ Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
    I’ve observed the system extends 1/4 to 1/2” inch doing a visual on the tips. And a quick look at the coefficient of expansion for stainless indicates a 3 meter length should grow 15mm over 300C delta (a guesstimate for the average increase).

Probably what I’m missing is I’m just doing street driving. Perhaps during track driving that temp delta is higher.
    You might be underestimating exhaust temps. IIRC the stock cat protection via enrichment (which many, including me, disable, once they go race cats/cat delete) kicks on ~900°.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

You might be underestimating exhaust temps. IIRC the stock cat protection via enrichment (which many, including me, disable, once they go race cats/cat delete) kicks on ~900°.
      Why disable enrichment race cats or not?
      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
      Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

Why disable enrichment race cats or not?
        It decreases power, decreases fuel efficiency, and, for reasons beyond my understanding, is worse for race cats.
        (when I installed the SS/HJS race cats on my car, I called HJS to ask them what would be a good temperature to set the enrichment point to-- they told me it was only worse for their cats and to turn it off completely)

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

It decreases power, decreases fuel efficiency, and, for reasons beyond my understanding, is worse for race cats.
          (when I installed the SS/HJS race cats on my car, I called HJS to ask them what would be a good temperature to set the enrichment point to-- they told me it was only worse for their cats and to turn it off completely)
          Got it, never would have guessed that.

Instagram

Comment

I have effectively the same system on my car. SSV1/ 2.5" section 1 with HJS/ 2.5" section 2 resonated and an old "Oakville" SCZA. Great exhaust for airbox noise. I made 360whp on a dynojet, also have 280/272 cams

Comment

Originally posted by Apex_80 View Post
              I have effectively the same system on my car. SSV1/ 2.5" section 1 with HJS/ 2.5" section 2 resonated and an old "Oakville" SCZA. Great exhaust for airbox noise. I made 360whp on a dynojet, also have 280/272 cams
              Nice, you got it right from the beginning. I'm still keen to play with section 3. I was surprised how quiet it ended up with SS resonated section 2 and the SCZA.
              '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Nice, you got it right from the beginning. I'm still keen to play with section 3. I was surprised how quiet it ended up with SS resonated section 2 and the SCZA.
                I wish I could say that was my first exhaust setup but I've done a bunch. My favorite sound wise was the Rogue El diablo, but the combination of the 2.25" piping and the harsh bend on one of the pipes really hurt power. I'm not sure what other section 3's there are out there that would provide a better not and not completely dominate the airbox.

Comment

is there any commentary on the audible difference between SS resonated twin 2.5'' and SS resonated X pipe?

Comment

I have the SS dual Sec. 2 comming but am hesitant to install it as it sounds like (pun) it really does quite things down. So that order may need to be canceled or part sold down the river.

My stock Sec. 2 barely clears the diff OPF and RACP as is, with the heatshield removed,I think this is mostly due to the fitment issues with the SCZA.

I really do like the sound mine makes now and making it quieter does not interest me at this point. I am considering getting an RE El Diablo muffler for a bit more volume actually.

Unfortunately my quest for maximum NA hp gains on this car is over with so exhaust volume/tone takes priority for me. It is just too much $ for minimal gains so it's time to be a 16yo and tune up an n54 chassis, something I can afford and make quite fast.

Instagram

Comment

I wish I could say that was my first exhaust setup but I've done a bunch. My favorite sound wise was the Rogue El diablo, but the combination of the 2.25" piping and the harsh bend on one of the pipes really hurt power. I'm not sure what other section 3's there are out there that would provide a better not and not completely dominate the airbox.
                      My fault, that was poorly written and didn't mean to imply that. By hurt power, I mean how much are we talking? I could get around a 10-15hp penalty. If the number started with a 2, then no thanks.

Did you ever try Dinan's? Early on, I thought hell no to dummy tips. Now, I'm not sure that I care all that much.
                      '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

My fault, that was poorly written and didn't mean to imply that. By hurt power, I mean how much are we talking? I could get around a 10-15hp penalty. If the number started with a 2, then no thanks.

Did you ever try Dinan's? Early on, I thought hell no to dummy tips. Now, I'm not sure that I care all that much.
                        It was around 15 straight back to back with the scza. After all I've done to get power I can't stomach losing that much for a different exhaust note. Never tried Dinan's, I'm still stuck on the dummy tips

Comment

It was around 15 straight back to back with the scza. After all I've done to get power I can't stomach losing that much for a different exhaust note. Never tried Dinan's, I'm still stuck on the dummy tips
                          Great data point. And hey, I get it.

I'm guilty of drinking some of the Dinan koolaid: https://documents.holley.com/d660-4604_white_paper.pdf

The other route I'm considering is re-packing the SCZA with some stainless steel wool. Again, finding myself on the long path..

Comment

Dinan is a great exhaust, but dummy tips and meh sound.

If you want to be cheap, I think Megan's muffler is 2.5"

El diablo lost so much power because it was 55mm / 2.16" piping, but v2 is now 60mm / 2.365" same as Supersprint/eisenmann/most others. RE will custom make you a 2.5" version if you want.

Don't expect a 2.5" el diablo to sound like a 55mm el diablo. There's a reason why the el diablo sounds so good on all the old videos on youtube...

Ian's old setup of JVTs and OM scorza sounded so good because the JVTs, like all headers except ss v1s, are 55mm outlets.

I'm going to be putting my OG scorza on my steelgrey with the best sounding headers, Fabspeeds (or ss tubulare, of which the fabspeeds are the best reproduction). I'll get videos.

If you listen to my later videos with 2.5" piping and 2.5" scza, it doesn't hold a candle to 2.16" headers/sect 1 plus 2.36 or 2.5" muffler.
                            Last edited by Tbonem3; 08-19-2021, 08:57 AM.
                            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                              Dinan is a great exhaust, but dummy tips and meh sound.
                              Lol what's left, then, to make it still great?

Glad you mentioned the Megan - I actually have one stashed away from when I found it on the cheap. There's no reason not to try. Thanks for the reminder!!

You, and others, are certainly right about the larger tubing sacrificing good sound traits due to the lower velocity.

To wonder a little further off-track. Another thing that's occurred to me (you all will say no shit) is when S54 headers are listed as equal length, they referring to the 6 primaries as being equal length up to the first merge point. That merge point is for 3 primaries on a given bank. After that, the distance up to the next merge point (typically the h-pipe or an x-pipe) is not equal length. Has anyone ever endeavored to do equal, equal?

Comment

great flow, fair used price, good weight, good quality. Sound isn't bad, just not good either, and that's just my subjective opinion
                                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
                                X