Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YFCM Carbon Driveshaft

Hey guys,

I received this carbon driveshaft last week and was finally able to unbox for a quick product photoshoot.

This carbon driveshaft is made by YFCM Composites in Taiwan, the original patent holder to the self-locking flange since 2015. Thi design eliminates the probabilities of the carbon tubes ungluing from the flange.

The primary benefits are derived from the lightweight 1 piece design: it improves connectedness to the rear end and slightly reduces initial moment of inertia. Clutch operations are also noticeably easier according to E9X M3 6spd owners due to the reduced flex in the 1 piece carbon construction.

This retains the use of the OEM flex disc to eliminates vibrations. The driveshafts are balanced beyond 8,000 and use small riveted weights. They are warrantied for 1 year by YFCM.

While this product has said to have been developed for years, it is much less known in the E46 M3 communities than E9X M3s where over 400 + of this specific version were installed and raved about. I've received OEM hardware to do the install later this Spring. I will be testing the driveshaft upon refreshing the rear suspension & subframe with new bushings and ball joints all around.

You can find detailed specs and get on the waiting list for the intro group buy here.
    Pricing and ETA to be determined.

Click image for larger version  Name:	REC08125.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.5 KB ID:	155505

Click image for larger version  Name:	REC08130.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.3 KB ID:	155514
    Click image for larger version  Name:	REC08168.jpg Views:	0 Size:	123.0 KB ID:	155515
    Click image for larger version  Name:	REC08163.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.9 KB ID:	155516

---
    For those that are unaware, MFactory / YCW Engineering / Michael Yip private labeled YFCM's carbon driveshafts while pretending he owned the patents. Many issues arose from the delivery on a "new" V3 version, which turns out to be a poorly retro-engineered version of the V2 with balancing, vibration and probable ungluing issues.

You can read more about the backstory to this here.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Epoustouflant; 02-23-2022, 05:27 PM.

Was not Mfactory the company that was going to do final drive ratio swaps? I assume all that went to hell also, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post
      Was not Mfactory the company that was going to do final drive ratio swaps? I assume all that went to hell also, correct?
      Yes - he private labels Exedy parts for most drivetrain components he brands as his. It's unclear whether this was his plan or not for final drive gears.

Comment

YFCM seems to differentiate the MT and SMG driveshafts. I don't see it differentiated on RealOEM. Is there a difference?

If you have a SMG converted car, do you pick the SMG or MT?

Comment

I would need a ride/drive in a car with this installed before pulling the trigger.

No way would I spend on this without actually experiencing it.
          2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
          2005 BMW ///M3
          ​ Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build ​​
          2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
          2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
          2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post
            YFCM seems to differentiate the MT and SMG driveshafts. I don't see it differentiated on RealOEM. Is there a difference?

They appear to, I will validate as my understanding is it is the same specs.

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
            I would need a ride/drive in a car with this installed before pulling the trigger.

No way would I spend on this without actually experiencing it.
            You'd have to ride in an E9X M3 with one for the initial batch. I expect this to slowly build a reputation as in E9X M3 communities.

For more info: the weight delta is slightly less than on the E9X M3 due to the shorter tube length and heavier transmission output flange. The OEM 2 piece steel driveshaft weights 8.5kg / 18.7 lbs, while the Carbon Driveshaft weights 5.4kg / 11.9 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post

I was the BETA tester for the original CF D/S GB, and we re-designed the original one because it interfered w/the SMG's actuator. We lengthened the front joint/flange to clear it, and this GEN 3 version appears (comparing to photos of mine) to also have the lengthened joint. So, it looks to me like it should also clear SMG cars, but someone should test first to verify.

Comment

Originally posted by stash1 View Post

I was the BETA tester for the original CF D/S GB, and we re-designed the original one because it interfered w/the SMG's actuator. We lengthened the front joint/flange to clear it, and this GEN 3 version appears (comparing to photos of mine) to also have the lengthened joint. So, it looks to me like it should also clear SMG cars, but someone should test first to verify.
                Steven confirmed my flange is using the measurements you provided via MFactory at the time - so it would be the same flange for both as of now. Definitely something to validate during my install. I can mock fit an actuator.

Comment

The E9X M3 driveshaft got fitted yesterday! E46 is next. Install was pretty straight forward and no surprises.

Click image for larger version

Name:	REC08658.jpg
Views:	1755
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	162008

Comment

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Originally posted by Epoustouflant

Mine is fitted - just waiting on the proper injectors to show up to finish the CSL airbox install.

The SC is off, stock clutch and flywheel is in, carbon driveshaft is in, complete rear end bushing refurb is done.

Complete SS exhaust, bearings and FCAB monoball are going in to wrap it up hopefully next week.
                        Sounds good. But save your stock FCAB assembly if they are still good. Of all the mods I did (a lot) , I reversed my FCABS back to OEM rubber, and am much happier for it.

Comment

I've been driving around with this since early September and managed to test high speed runs.

The 6spd feels tight as ever with solid mounted subframe and stock diff bushings. Most importantly, I have no vibrations. It accentuated the rear-diff infamous clunks and mine is definitely due for a rebuild. The output shafts have obvious play. Add this to the list of Winter projects.

I'll compile my installation notes and driving impressions in a new journal entry. We tested with mocked up SMG actuators and clears with the extended flange. Zero issues regarding the angle of the transmission to the rear diff - the CV easily compensates.

A lot of technical information is already available on the curated listing here.

All 10x pre-order'ed units were shipped after approval from my testing feedback. I have 1x in stock from the Summer production. A new pre-order for Q1 2023 delivery will be launched and included with the E9x and E6x M guys to reach the thresholds faster.

Glad to finally have a reliable carbon driveshaft for our cars. Excited to see more of you guys run this.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Epoustouflant; 10-08-2022, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Got to install one of these on an E92 M3, quality piece it would seem, the customer was very pleased and no issues so far, and I'm confident this gentleman drives his car hard/does launches etc.

Installation was slightly difficult due to the one piece design and in the case of the E92 we had to move portions of the heatsheild away as to not allow contact but all in all everything was pretty easy.
                            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                            Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Epoustouflant View Post
                              I've been driving around with this since early September and managed to test high speed runs.

The 6spd feels tight as ever with solid mounted subframe and stock diff bushings. Most importantly, I have no vibrations. It accentuated the rear-diff infamous clunks and mine is definitely due for a rebuild. The output shafts have obvious play. Add this to the list of Winter projects.

I'll compile my installation notes and driving impressions in a new journal entry. We tested with mocked up SMG actuators and clears with the extended flange. Zero issues regarding the angle of the transmission to the rear diff - the CV easily compensates.

A lot of technical information is already available on the curated listing here.

All 10x pre-order'ed units were shipped after approval from my testing feedback. I have 1x in stock from the Summer production. A new pre-order for Q1 2023 delivery will be launched and included with the E9x and E6x M guys to reach the thresholds faster.

Glad to finally have a reliable carbon driveshaft for our cars. Excited to see more of you guys run this.
                              Your Guibo isn't installed in the correct orientation. The arrows on the guibo sides should be facing the flanges of the transmission output / driveshaft flange.
                              SF Bay Area Vanos, Rod Bearings, Inspection II, etc. Services : Member Feedback
                              E46 M3 Track Videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/DanAvon

Comment

Working...
                              X