S54 Stroker build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Feffman View Post
    Is anyone running their E46 M3 with higher than stock 11.5:1 compression on pump gas (not E85)? An inquiring mind wants to know.

Feff

what's the point? knock faktors start doing their job with ignition timing ramdomly

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
      There is youtube acct named 'Teufelswerk' who has a few videos on his 3.5L stroker. Little bits of info here & there, including a camshaft revision. I'm assuming he is quoting whp.

I'm placing the description from 3 of his videos in German/English (using google translation):

Jun 16, 2017
      Bmw e46 m3 mit 3.5 Liter langracing stroker Motor, perfekt gebaut von Motorsporttechnik Mandel. Komplette supersprint aga, mk Rennsporttechnik Ansaugung Lagerung etc. Mishimoto kühlerpaket, BBS gt4 Felgen, 265/35/18 und 285/30/18 Michelin cup2 Reifen, recaro pp Sitze, Karbonius Dach, Original csl Teile, csl Airbox, Cp Kolben und carillo Pleuel, vollstahl Kurbelwelle, Schrick 304/296 12.5mm nockenwellen, vanos, Supertech Federnsatz und ventile, Kopfbearbeitung, 12.0 CR, Arp stehbolzen, 1340kg Gewicht inkl Flüssigkeiten.

Bmw e46 m3 with 3.5 liter long racing stroker engine, perfectly built by Motorsporttechnik Mandel. Complete supersprint aga, mk racing technology suction storage etc. Mishimoto cooler package, BBS gt4 rims, 265/35/18 and 285/30/18 Michelin cup2 tires, recaro pp seats, carbon roof, original csl parts, csl airbox, cp pistons and carillo Connecting rod, full steel crankshaft, Schrick 304/296 12.5mm camshafts, vanos, Supertech spring set and valves, head machining, 12.0 CR, Arp studs, 1340kg weight including liquids.

July 8, 2017
      Bmw e46 m3 mit 3.5l Rennmotor von Motorsporttechnik Mandel in cooperation mit langracing Development. 392.7ps bei 31grad umgebungstemperatur mit csl Serien Steuerung ohne Modifikationen nachdem dem Motor knapp 2000km eingefahren wurde. Nun wird abgestimmt und man darf gespannt sein was rum kommt an Leistungsdaten.

Bmw e46 m3 with 3.5l racing engine from Motorsporttechnik Mandel in cooperation with langracing development. 392.7ps at 31 degrees ambient temperature with csl series control without modifications after the engine was run in almost 2000km. Now it is voted and you can be curious about what comes around in performance data.

Aug 18, 2017
      E46 m3 mit 3.5l rennsport Motor von Motorsporttechnik Mandel in cooperation mit Langracing gebaut. 440ps 400n/m mit 304/296 im Winter wird auf 288/280 umgebaut um in etwa 40nm mehr Drehmoment zu holen. Die 100-200 mit racelogic 10.5sek mit 265/35/18 und 285/30/18 cup2 Reifen mit 1.9bar kalt.

E46 m3 with 3.5l racing engine built by Motorsporttechnik Mandel in cooperation with long racing. 440ps 400n / m with 304/296 in winter is converted to 288/280 to get about 40nm more torque. The 100-200 with racelogic 10.5sec with 265/35/18 and 285/30/18 cup2 tires with 1.9bar cold.

From embedded comment:
      With the old setup I did 3000km, now I do rebuild the engine with 288/280 Camshafts instead of 304/296, cp pistons with wpc treatment and 12.5CR instead of 12cr and moly coating, complete ported CHP Cylinder head, ported Itbs, Karbonius special made airbox with enlarged trumpets for my application, csl exhaust valves and a few other mods. The engine is totally reliable no question, I'm taking crazy care of balancing all the internal parts to perfection, crank 0gr, piston assembly 0.00gr and also rods assembly 0.00gr tolerance.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNb...Bpp_aUG7NRR4sQ

Ok this is good info, thanks jbfrancis3. Ill check this out. With 304/296 he is running 433 hp and 324 foot pounds of tq. Is this to the wheels, it must be to to the flywheel. are CSL exhaust valves oversized? if so I believe you have to remove vanos
      Last edited by M/Anthony; 05-02-2020, 01:34 PM.

Comment

CSL valves are the same size as stock.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

correct me if im wrong but with those results, even if that is at teh flywheel 15% drivetrain loss is: 368 whp and 275 wheel torque (rounded up)
          Which seems a bit low for a stroker. But 433 whp and 324 tq is impossible.
          With longer duration camshafts, you would see a higher hp level, maybe its down to the tune?
          Last edited by M/Anthony; 05-02-2020, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M/Anthony View Post
            correct me if im wrong but with those results, even if that is at teh flywheel 15% drivetrain loss is: 368 whp and 275 wheel torque (rounded up)
            Which seems a bit low for a stroker. But 433 whp and 324 tq is impossible.
            With longer duration camshafts, you would see a higher hp level, maybe its down to the tune?
            I agree impossible, I think I got it wrong initially saying I assume this is wheel hp. What data are you comparing to say its low for a stroker?

Well, he doesn't quote new power figures going to 288/280 cams; only that he picked up 40nm of torque. Note that he also raised CR, meaning tune has changed, so there have been multiple changes and latest dyno numbers are not provided. You would think he means +40nm on top of the 400nm quoted prior but its not 100% confirmed.
            '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

I agree impossible, I think I got it wrong initially saying I assume this is wheel hp. What data are you comparing to say its low for a stroker?

Well, he doesn't quote new power figures going to 288/280 cams; only that he picked up 40nm of torque. Note that he also raised CR, meaning tune has changed, so there have been multiple changes and latest dyno numbers are not provided. You would think he means +40nm on top of the 400nm quoted prior but its not 100% confirmed.
              mike cotter's built s54 and another Carbahn race engine getting 303 wtq and 380whp (non ported head) additionally that engine is driven around the street

some more info on the carbahn built s54: 288/280 12.5 lift, vanos retained, csl aribox routed to the front bumper, titanium intake valves. Dailey Dry sump, the driveshaft shop carbon driveshaft and 100 octane
              VANOS was modified to prevent valve piston contact, different factory timing
              according to the same post by another Instagram user, the p54 evo ran 316 and 15mm lift with vanos retained

and with the 40+ nm of torque he would have 324 wtq
              Last edited by M/Anthony; 05-02-2020, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Let's check the BMEP. With 440nm that's 17.0 BMEP, so that seems implausible even with a raised CR.

Carbahn's 303 ft lbs = 410nm, or 15.9 BMEP. Seems much more reasonable, plus you mention that engine is on race fuel. What are the specs behind Mike Cotter's build, I'm not in the loop.

Did I calc those right ethan ?

'05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Mtherfcker no I didn't calc right, forgot to up the denominator for greater displacement.

440nm = 15.8 BMEP with raised CR. Sorry Teufelswerk wherever you are.

What's the Carbahn's displacement?

Comment

Mtherfcker no I didn't calc right, forgot to up the denominator for greater displacement.

440nm = 15.8 BMEP with raised CR. Sorry Teufelswerk wherever you are.

What's the Carbahn's displacement?
                    3392cc 93mm crank 12:5:1 according to their website

Mikes: Lang racing Stoker, 3.42L, a tab bit over 12:1 compression 296/284 14.0 and 14.5mm lift, 87.5mm bore vanos retained 390whp 280 wtq
                    Last edited by M/Anthony; 05-02-2020, 03:55 PM.

Comment

the question is now with a stroker build like mikes and carbahn whats the best exhaut setup and headers

Comment

like everything in life, define "best"

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                          like everything in life, define "best"
                          most optimal with a stroker setup that has higher duration cams than 280/272 and most likely a higher lift

Comment

it'd be pretty hard to go past SS stepped headers with the big bore SS mid section piping etc. any system that improves over it in a particular area is also probably likely to come with some other compromises

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                              it'd be pretty hard to go past SS stepped headers with the big bore SS mid section piping etc. any system that improves over it in a particular area is also probably likely to come with some other compromises
                              Match that with a 3.5" single exit exhaust or go with 2.5" all the way back

Comment

Originally posted by M/Anthony View Post

Match that with a 3.5" single exit exhaust or go with 2.5" all the way back
                                i would do twin system all the way only because i prefer the sound, look of a dual system and addiotinal clearance (though not always an issue) and easier to keep quiet and emmisions clean. Once you merge the two collector pipes (using X, H or Y) at the appropriate location then its basically about just about total pipe area and minimising back pressure so the single vs dual is 6 of one of half a dozen of the other. The single has a theortical benefit to reducing back pressure for a given flow area but its going to be pretty small to negligible IMO
                                Last edited by digger; 05-02-2020, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X