No announcement yet.

Best price and place to get ZCP wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because Michelins run wide. Because that's not BMW spec. BMW only speccd 245 on a 8.5" for e9x and they still kept 265 for the 9.5" (on e9x). They actually specc'd 255 for the 9.5" for u.s. E46 with 19". Because albeit small, 245/275 is heavier and slower. Perhaps turn in feel isn't as crisp either.

Wider tires don't give a wider footprint. You'd need wider wheels.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
      wont this look too wide on the 8" fronts?

Comment

No

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
          Because Michelins run wide. Because that's not BMW spec. BMW only speccd 245 on a 8.5" for e9x and they still kept 265 for the 9.5" (on e9x). They actually specc'd 255 for the 9.5" for u.s. E46 with 19". Because albeit small, 245/275 is heavier and slower. Perhaps turn in feel isn't as crisp either.

Wider tires don't give a wider footprint. You'd need wider wheels.
          Well I always interpreted footprint to be the contact that the car makes with the road. That is determined by tires, not wheels.

Additionally, I was not going with the factory spec sizes, which by the way are not 235/265 but 225/255 on the m3 ZCP. 235/265 were only CSL spec tire size. Many people decide run wider tire sizes on OEM wheels to get extra contact on the road.
          Last edited by bmw m3 s50; 04-30-2022, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Do wider tyres give you more grip? The logical answer would be yes, the wider the tyre, the more rubber in contact with the surface, but it isn't that simple. Click through for all the technical ...
            6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

good stuff!

Comment

Sorry???
                -----
                Keep in mind Michelins run wide. 235/265 ps4s is perfecto on CSL/ZCP.
                Unless you don't want your car to look like this:
                Well true the Michelin 265s don’t look nearly as bad as their 255s. Still not what majority of BMW car writers have said about the CSL rears. They suggest 275s. From Bimmer Mag, European Car, Roundel, BMW Car and Performance BMW.
                I’m very familiar with Michelins, as that’s what I run for decades. I have even run Michelin Sport 285s happily on my CSL rears. I’m running 275 now for the grip and look over the 265. And not a chance will go further and run ridiculously 255s.
                Photo from BIMMER MAG directly discussing the tires and stretched look.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	26606E05-89B9-47F3-9648-013A2D192DD6.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	165976
                6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

You don't get more grip from 275s on your rear wheels than 265.

BMW doesn't spec a tire for "looks"

Proper tire for a 9.5" wheels is 265. Take a guess at what tire spec track rats run on their 9.5et22 square wheels?

Comment

You don't get more grip from 275s on your rear wheels than 265.
                    BMW doesn't spec a tire for "looks"
                    Proper tire for a 9.5" wheels is 265. wheels?
                    Actually according to BMW USA on the E46 it’s 255.
                    275 are within specs by Michelin. I go with the tire manufacturer.

You get more grip driving.
                    Do wider tyres give you more grip? The logical answer would be yes, the wider the tyre, the more rubber in contact with the surface, but it isn't that simple. Click through for all the technical ...

Oh and here’s the experts at BIMMER MAG’s take on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6CDFA9CC-68F2-4439-9666-3D4D979B7886.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	165994

Comment

Ok buddy.

i like how this super smart magazine guy chose a 40mm staggar (235/275)
                      Last edited by Tbonem3; 05-02-2022, 06:38 PM.

Comment

For a street car, and for how 95% of people on this forum drive, it does not matter if you get 255s, 265s or 275s. Just keep a 30mm split front to rear to keep a factory like balance. Here is yet another link to confuse people even further.

How to PROPERLY select and size TIRES for PERFORMANCE by Billy Johnson The most important part of your car is not the engine, suspension, or brakes. It’s the TIRES!!!  This…
                        http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                        '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

I couldn't agree more, I went from a 225/255 to a 245/275, can't tell a difference as it's street driven. I just wanted the tire width for looks mainly.

Damn shame about no more CSL fronts as I would love to maintain the wide rears but wouldn't necessarily want to run a 235/275 stagger. I would think a 245 is pushing it on an 8" wheel but may be dead wrong.
                          2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                            I couldn't agree more, I went from a 225/255 to a 245/275, can't tell a difference as it's street driven. I just wanted the tire width for looks mainly.

Damn shame about no more CSL fronts as I would love to maintain the wide rears but wouldn't necessarily want to run a 235/275 stagger. I would think a 245 is pushing it on an 8" wheel but may be dead wrong.
                            Did you use 245/40, 275/35 or 245/35, 275,30 ? 19s or 18s? I ask because it seems the ratios are equal but the tire is slightly taller when using 40/35 on a 19. And I was wondering if that combo would rub up front as it seems most ppl run 35/30 when going wider.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                              For a street car, and for how 95% of people on this forum drive, it does not matter if you get 255s, 265s or 275s. Just keep a 30mm split front to rear to keep a factory like balance. Here is yet another link to confuse people even further.

https://motoiq.com/how-to-properly-s...r-performance/
                              For a street car, and for how 95% of people on this forum drive, it does not matter if you get 255s, 265s or 275s. It also doesn’t matter if you don’t keep a 30mm split front to rear to keep a factory like balance. You can have a 20mm or 40mm staggered.

Most important thing for a street driven car is to keep overall diameter the same front and rear. It came with 26’’ overall diameter from factory. I prefer to have 25.5’’ cause it looks better (sidewall) and it also helps acceleration. Keeping same overall diameter will get your DSC/traction control to work properly.

On my OEM CSL wheels, I had Michelin PSS 235/275 and it looked perfect. On my BBS LM 19x8.5 19x10 I have 245/275 but I prefer the look of a 235 on a 8.5’’ wheel. Just a little bit stretch.

Yesterday, a guy came to my place with an Imola ZCP and he had 245/275 on his OEM ZCP rims, 245 looks terrible on 8’’ wheels IMO…

When I shop for tires, I go on Tirerack website, choise a tires and check specs to see info like overall diameter.
                              2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
                              2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
                              2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by Rkymtnrider View Post

Did you use 245/40, 275/35 or 245/35, 275,30 ? 19s or 18s? I ask because it seems the ratios are equal but the tire is slightly taller when using 40/35 on a 19. And I was wondering if that combo would rub up front as it seems most ppl run 35/30 when going wider.
                                245/40 and 275/35 on 18's, went from the stock 19's to that. My car has BCs on it so it does sit quite low but I'm not even close to rubbing with my current setup, I would wager the 19s w/ the same tire arrangement would be ok even.
                                2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                                Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                                Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                                RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                                Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X