Might as wells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might as wells

I've got my car totally stripped down and getting ready to put the motor back in soon. I'm starting to 2nd guess if I should replace a few "might as well" things I opted not to. Wondering what people's thoughts are on the below items, as it will never be easier than now. Car has 74k miles and is a Sep 2002 build (almost drinking age!).
    • Starter motor or just the starter solenoid
    • HVAC evaporator, expansion valve or both (#1 and #2 in RealOEM)
    • Heater core (#1 in RealOEM)
    • Auxiliary water pump
    • Pusher fan - oof, big $$$
    • Dryer container - I bought the MAHLE one from ECS because it was $30 and not $275 from BMW. However, turns out it's made in China. Don't love that. I know others ( liam821 comes to mind) have installed the Mahle one without issue seemingly...
    • Blower control moduleto keep the DME cool (#5 in RealOEM) - I occasionally get chirping from this thing. Better pic here

Almost everything else I have replaced and all Genuine BMW (or Genuine with the BMW logo shaved off). All engine sensors, radiator, oil cooler, AC condenser, etc. but the items above are things I opted not to. The starter is probably the biggest thing I'm questioning as it's a royal pain in the ass to get to once the motor is back in the car, but mine is working fine. Same thing with the evaporator.

Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Starter definitely. It is such an annoying job to do that it's worth a few bucks to not worry about. Plus you can keep your original as a spare to be rebuilt etc.
    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Definitely don’t bother with the pusher fan. Not a high failure rate item and it’s very easy to get to with the car put together. I had mine out pretty quickly when I deleted it.

edit: aux water pump is very easy to get to as well. I can’t remember if you’re doing a CSL box but if so you might as well replace it with the CSL (also non-M) part. No difference in functionality on our cars and the airbox will fit better. Plus it’s smaller and lighter, and easy to find on ebay
      Last edited by repoman89; 04-09-2022, 09:51 AM.

Comment

My mahle dryer condenser is now two years old and still working perfectly.

+1 on the starter, it's such a pita to do later.

Liam

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
        Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

I would do the DME fan. Chirping means it is time and RR will be a bit easier at this stage.
          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Thanks EthanolTurbo and liam821 . Starter is going on order today!

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
            Definitely don’t bother with the pusher fan. Not a high failure rate item and it’s very easy to get to with the car put together. I had mine out pretty quickly when I deleted it.

edit: aux water pump is very easy to get to as well. I can’t remember if you’re doing a CSL box but if so you might as well replace it with the CSL (also non-M) part. No difference in functionality on our cars and the airbox will fit better. Plus it’s smaller and lighter, and easy to find on ebay
            Man, thank you for the tip. Yes, I am going with a Karb intake and didn't even know this was a thing. Aux H20 pump for the CSL according to RealOEM is this 64118369805.

Some digging this morning lead me to these two great posts:
            Hi all, Does anyone have experience deleting the Auxiliary water pump under the intake? The Dinan intake on my car barely clears it, and the relocation bracket Dinan provided does not work well. I'm thinking of buying the version of the heater valve from the CSL that deletes the auxiliary water pump. If I replace #1 with #2,

And on Titaniu//M 's car:
            Hi all, Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during these times. I had a journal over on M3F before it went down, but didn’t really keep up with it all that much. Hopefully I will be more diligent with this one. My M3 is a 2006 6MT coupe, finished in Tiag over Imola. As a March ’06 build, it is among the last E46 M3s

On order!

Comment

I would do the evaporator but other than the evac/recharge there isn't a lot of overlap with then engine out.

If the AC has been open long enough then it is definitely worth it to replace the dryer.

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
                Thanks EthanolTurbo and liam821 . Starter is going on order today!

Man, thank you for the tip. Yes, I am going with a Karb intake and didn't even know this was a thing. Aux H20 pump for the CSL according to RealOEM is this 64118369805.

Some digging this morning lead me to these two great posts:
                https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...ary-water-pump

And on Titaniu//M 's car:
                https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...8635#post28635

On order!
                Doesn't this mean you have a dangling connector?
                2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Why delete this? It doesn't touch the airbox unless there is something I am missing.
                  2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                  Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                  Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                  RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                  Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                    Why delete this? It doesn't touch the airbox unless there is something I am missing.
                    Same reason anyone deletes anything … the big one doesn’t do anything different, unlike on the E39, and the small one is lighter (and $20 on ebay). I had read years ago that some people have to twist the bigger valve and mount it funny to stop it from hitting the airbox but haven’t tested it myself. It was a no brainer to me * shrug *

Comment

Great info in those threads I linked re: aux H2O pump. Mine is looking a little worse for wear. I'm in there doing stuff so figured why not. It does leave a dangling connector but they are everywhere on these cars. I may chase the wires back (TBD) and code the HVAC for it per those threads. In any case, it's lighter and a fraction of the cost of the M3 one.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

Same reason anyone deletes anything … the big one doesn’t do anything different, unlike on the E39, and the small one is lighter (and $20 on ebay). I had read years ago that some people have to twist the bigger valve and mount it funny to stop it from hitting the airbox but haven’t tested it myself. It was a no brainer to me * shrug *
                        Are those ebay units acceptable (do they last?). If so I have to delete mine if it truly does nothing at all.

The way I bent my dipstick it gets stuck between the two cylinders sometimes.
                        2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                        Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                        Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                        RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                        Instagram

Comment

So you can add it to your sig line with the rest of your mods, bro.

If it doesn't interfere with the airbox there really is no point. I love when people regurgitate wrong information.
                          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

So you can add it to your sig line with the rest of your mods, bro.

If it doesn't interfere with the airbox there really is no point. I love when people regurgitate wrong information.
                            I specifically remember terra on the old forum had to mount his tilted so that only two of the rubber grommets fit in the three sockets for it to clear his airbox. Not to mention cubieman has fitment issues with his and the dipstick, Mr. forum cred sig livery.
                            Last edited by repoman89; 04-11-2022, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Are those ebay units acceptable (do they last?). If so I have to delete mine if it truly does nothing at all.

The way I bent my dipstick it gets stuck between the two cylinders sometimes.
                              I haven’t noticed a difference. With either unit the heat doesn’t work until the engine starts to warm up and then it works well. Not sure it gets as cold as Nebraska here but it gets pretty dang cold. I got mine from eBay years ago off of a non-M and it still works well. Try to find one that has low mileage on the donor car and looks clean if you go ahead with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X