Smg cranks but no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smg cranks but no start

Hi guys, bought a e46 m3 smg that doesn’t start. I am planning to manual swap it but another issue popped up. When I bought, it doesn’t crank at all and the coolant temperature gauge is max red when in ignition.
    I was able to get it to crank by coding out the clutch safety. I tried testing but no spark or fuel, since temp gauge is all the way red I assume there’s no communication to the dme? I tried flashing with winkfp and it’s successful but nothing changes. It also connects to inpa and ista fine. Currently I removed the smg module. I scanned the codes, any help?

edit - I am trying to just start the car so I can proceed with manual swapping. Currently the smg pump just keeps priming and the shifter won’t move (stuck in neutral)

Last edited by Rod.bearings; 04-13-2022, 06:17 PM.

Post a picture of the Control Unit Tree. Is this an actual ISTA computer or your personal rip from somewhere?
    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

The SMG pump motor continuously runs as in never shuts off? If so that would mean it can’t build the required pressure so either seals, motor, accumulator, or pressure sensor is bad. No pressure no shifts. You should be able to monitor pressure from INPA.
      3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
        Post a picture of the Control Unit Tree. Is this an actual ISTA computer or your personal rip from somewhere?
        I have all the bmw tools from bimmer geeks on personal laptop.

illl take a pic tomorrow but the Kombi and dme ones were yellow.

I also tried flashing to manual via ecuworkx but doesn’t seem to work

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
          The SMG pump motor continuously runs as in never shuts off? If so that would mean it can’t build the required pressure so either seals, motor, accumulator, or pressure sensor is bad. No pressure no shifts. You should be able to monitor pressure from INPA.
          Yea 99% sure it’s smg, but since I’m manual swapping if like to find a work around to start the car.

Usually flashing to manual via ecuworx and coding out the clutch safety should bypass the smg but since the cluster isn’t communicating with dme I have another issue

Comment

Basically I am trying to figure out why my cluster temp gauge is red hot. Is my dme fried? Or is it not getting power via a relay/ground?

Comment

I love your username, that's all.

Comment

No codes? Temp sensors possibly? Have tried the hidden menu cluster test and I believe you can see the temp from there as well? Battery voltage is good? Checked your grounds?

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by Rod.bearings View Post
                  Basically I am trying to figure out why my cluster temp gauge is red hot. Is my dme fried? Or is it not getting power via a relay/ground?
                  Tenp gauge all the way hot and crank but no start means the DME is in programming mode.

Did you try flashing stock manual software with winkfp?
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
                    I love your username, that's all.
                    Thanks haha, its my IG username too since I have a E92 M3 also

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
                    No codes? Temp sensors possibly? Have tried the hidden menu cluster test and I believe you can see the temp from there as well? Battery voltage is good? Checked your grounds?
                    Codes are attached in the photos. Next up is checking the grounds on the weekend. Ill try the hidden menu but I doubt a temp sensor is preventing a starting issue, could be wrong.

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Tenp gauge all the way hot and crank but no start means the DME is in programming mode.

Did you try flashing stock manual software with winkfp?
                    I tried a force program in winkfp, it flashed successfully but its still all the way hot. Next questions is will the DME even connect if their is a loose ground? Or whats a good sign the DME is bricked?

Comment

Originally posted by Rod.bearings View Post
                      I tried a force program in winkfp, it flashed successfully but its still all the way hot. Next questions is will the DME even connect if their is a loose ground? Or whats a good sign the DME is bricked?
                      Try messing around with MSSFlasher, it's a pretty powerful tool. If your DME is bricked, you can probably get it back by BDM flashing it. This thread has some good info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/s...lp-bricked-dme

Also, if you have access to another E46 M3, you could try swapping in their DME. Would need to sync/code out EWS, but it would be an easy way to verify that the DME is your issue.

2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Check the DME relay and fuses under the Ebox.

Comment

Little update. Checked the passenger engine ground it looks good. Pulled the blue DME relay and the "engine service soon" light disappeared so the relay seems to be good because most say the CEL doesn't light up when this is broken. 5 fuses inside DME box are good and also all the fuses associated with fuel pump and dme inside the glove box. I dont believe the DME is bricked but somehow its stuck in a flash mode or something.

Comment

I know it is a trivial thing and I'm sure you have checked but do verify that your battery is good. I've seen some weird stuff due to a low or bad battery.

Have you cleared the codes? I'm asking because there are some codes that will prevent the car from starting until cleared.

Comment

Pulling at straws here…

Pull the ecu connectors out and inspect pins for corrosion and/or burn marks.

If you can still read codes from DME I don’t see how it would be in programming mode. Maybe the comm between cluster and DME is bad?

Comment

Working...
                              X