KW V3 vs. Stock Suspension Refresh for Street Driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 02_lsb View Post

Pass on the ST. KW Clubsport is comparable to TCK DA, however TCK is better, in my opinion.
    Obioban

On what basis do you guys feel like the TCK are better than the clubsports (& v3s?) ....Is it how they ride?

I had a set of TCK SA on a previous e46m and they felt great from what i remember. Curious, as I was actually planning on going TCK DA but they were out of stock, and went V3 instead.

Sorry if thread jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Agreed on all counts.
      But FCM shits on TCK DA right?
      Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

But FCM shits on TCK DA right?
        No, at least not TCK DAs with flat ride spring rates.

They are "better", but nowhere near "shits on them" better.

... they do shit on all setups without flat ride spring rates that I've experienced.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post

Obioban

On what basis do you guys feel like the TCK are better than the clubsports (& v3s?) ....Is it how they ride?

I had a set of TCK SA on a previous e46m and they felt great from what i remember. Curious, as I was actually planning on going TCK DA but they were out of stock, and went V3 instead.

Sorry if thread jack.
          The club sports are unnecessarily harsh, imo-- the car doesn't ever feels like it settles down, and is slower because of it.

The V3s... just aren't great. I have them on the e60 (came with them), and I won't for long. That said, they're WAY better than the STs/V2, which are, IMO, trash for people that only care about how the car looks. Of the KW options, I think the V3s are actually probably the best, but the TCK DAs are better at everything other than the max amount you can lower the car.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

No, at least not TCK DAs with flat ride spring rates.

They are "better", but nowhere near "shits on them" better.

... they do shit on all setups without flat ride spring rates that I've experienced.
            Thanks for the info! I have a set of TCK DA I got dirt cheap that needs a rebuild and wasn't sure if it's worth keeping or not. I'm on a flat ride Eibach Pro Kit/Koni Yellow setup right now.
            Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

The club sports are unnecessarily harsh, imo-- the car doesn't ever feels like it settles down, and is slower because of it.

The V3s... just aren't great. I have them on the e60 (came with them), and I won't for long. That said, they're WAY better than the STs/V2, which are, IMO, trash for people that only care about how the car looks. Of the KW options, I think the V3s are actually probably the best, but the TCK DAs are better at everything other than the max amount you can lower the car.
              I'm not sure it's fair to assume the V3's are bad because they don't feel good on a completely different chassis. How old are they? Are they adjusted properly?

To me the V3's are a solid choice because they are externally adjustable, gas pressurized, stainless steel, are shortened bodies (to retain bump travel on a lowered vehicle, but could also be run near stock height), and have a wide adjustment range. The springs could easily be changed to whatever rates you want and the dampers could accommodate within a reasonable range of rates. But I think the stock spring rates are damn near on the money - 300lb/in front and 550lb/in rear.

The ONLY thing I am not stoked on with the V3 is the serviceability. I am not sure how easy it is to get seals and if there's any documentation on how to do the job.

They're a fantastic value and a great middle ground between a stock setup and a full on race setup.

Comment

I’ve driven lots of V3s on the e46M, as well.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I did the Status Gruppe SS kit, comes with everything you need at $899 shipped, not bad. Little drop (adjustable) and super smooth. I drive aggressive on the street but it doesn’t see much track days, if any.

I have 4 more of those kits in stock in Dallas area if anyone reading is interested.
                  Attached Files
                  2006 ILB | M-Texture

Comment

Originally posted by FCD46 View Post
                    I did the Status Gruppe SS kit, comes with everything you need at $899 shipped, not bad. Little drop (adjustable) and super smooth. I drive aggressive on the street but it doesn’t see much track days, if any.

I have 4 more of those kits in stock in Dallas area if anyone reading is interested.
                    Not sure SG Chinese garbage is in the same category as any of the suspensions being discussed here

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

Not sure SG Chinese garbage is in the same category as any of the suspensions being discussed here
                      Lol, you can talk smack all you want but it’s not bad, as I have it on my car and have “tested” vs your assumption. Beats stock, obviously not KW.
                      2006 ILB | M-Texture

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

Agreed. They're not.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. Do you guys think TCK DAs are better than stock for daily driving (in terms of comfort/reliability)?

Comment

Originally posted by hsq View Post
                            Thanks for all the responses. Do you guys think TCK DAs are better than stock for daily driving (in terms of comfort/reliability)?
                            I don't. I also don't know why you'd pay that price tag unless you were going to adjust it occasionally.

My son's '02 has TCK DAs with spring rates that TC Kline recommended for street and occasional track HPDE. On mine that I use as a daily driver, I have fresh OEM (Sachs) setup including the important bushings. I think it's ideal for everything that's reasonable on the roads. Even empty roads with good pavement and ideal weather.

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post

I'm not sure it's fair to assume the V3's are bad because they don't feel good on a completely different chassis. How old are they? Are they adjusted properly?

To me the V3's are a solid choice because they are externally adjustable, gas pressurized, stainless steel, are shortened bodies (to retain bump travel on a lowered vehicle, but could also be run near stock height), and have a wide adjustment range. The springs could easily be changed to whatever rates you want and the dampers could accommodate within a reasonable range of rates. But I think the stock spring rates are damn near on the money - 300lb/in front and 550lb/in rear.

The ONLY thing I am not stoked on with the V3 is the serviceability. I am not sure how easy it is to get seals and if there's any documentation on how to do the job.

They're a fantastic value and a great middle ground between a stock setup and a full on race setup.
                              I have yet to find anyone who will rebuild the V3's outside of shipping them to KW and back, which is such a waste of time and $ to perform, what should be, a simple rebuild with new seals. Mine are currently leaking on the passenger front, for no reason other than they have been just sitting for a few years and I have read from others that they tend to leak over time if not cycled.

Comment

Ive also been seeing people complaining it takes around 6 months to get them back from KW

Comment

Working...
                                X