Brake pads for Track days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake pads for Track days

I did a search but came up empty. It was all pointing me to the 996 upgrade thread.

So PFC08 have a great reputation.
    Pagid also.

Any feedback on Carbotech XP10

Car is driven to and from the track 3.5 hours each way on 200tw tires.

I use xp10 on my e36 track car, on stock calipers. Pretty happy with them overall.

I've gotten decent pad life (10+ weekends), but the car only weighs 2600 lbs on stock power, and stock squared tire sizes.

Performance is pretty consistent throughout 20 minute sessions. When really pushing I get some fade in the last 4 minutes or so. Not sure if that is due to the pad though. I am running stainless lines and rbf600, but with effectively zero brake cooling.

They do make a lot of dust. To be expected and it is non-corrosive so I don't worry too much. Dirty wheels match the overall aesthetic of the car.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Lavatoad; 05-19-2022, 07:49 AM.

Comment

For OEM brakes? I've been happy with st45 Raybestos, and they seem to be pretty durable. I've also tried DS2500 and was pretty happy. The ST45 was more aggressive and durable though. Both have heavy dusting as with most track pads. I'm running endless rf650 fluid without issue since I had pedal issues with motul (getting soft after a couple of hot laps).
      Last edited by enjoy_m3; 05-19-2022, 08:33 AM.

Comment

PFC-08 is the no-brainer. I use PFC-11 - but they are for a dedicated track car.

Comment

I haven't swapped the brakes on mines yet and have done about 1 track day on stock brakes. But on my M roadster I used ht-10's and really enjoyed them. They have a very strong bite, and I'll probably be trying them again for the e46m. Best part is they are non-corrosive (as far as I know?).

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post
            PFC-08 is the no-brainer. I use PFC-11 - but they are for a dedicated track car.
            How do PFC-11s wear for you?

Recently bought some for an event and wore through about 1/3 of the pads in a day. Trying to figure out if they wear fast or if the problem is me lol
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

How do PFC-11s wear for you?

Recently bought some for an event and wore through about 1/3 of the pads in a day. Trying to figure out if they wear fast or if the problem is me lol
              PFC-11 wear faster than -08 - but they are supposed to. The bias in PFC-11 is initial bite and modulation near the limits, and of course high heat tolerance. If yours are wearing that fast you are not getting them enough cooling between repeated high speed threshold braking events, or possibly dragging pads (?). Do you have the same wear rate L to R? Even at Watkins Glen I don't have a wear rate near that, but I am releasing brakes as absolutely early as possible.

Wait: Are you leaving them on for street driving?

Comment

PFC-11 wear faster than -08 - but they are supposed to. The bias in PFC-11 is initial bite and modulation near the limits, and of course high heat tolerance. If yours are wearing that fast you are not getting them enough cooling between repeated high speed threshold braking events, or possibly dragging pads (?). Do you have the same wear rate L to R? Even at Watkins Glen I don't have a wear rate near that, but I am releasing brakes as absolutely early as possible.

Wait: Are you leaving them on for street driving?
                Yeah I'm aware that the faster wear is part of the tradeoff vs the 08s, but I was surprised at how fast they were wearing. Wear rate is same left to right and front to rear. I also do drive with them on the street, but just to and from the track, so minimal braking.

The last track day I did was pretty messy. Traffic, couple large oil spills that delayed/cancelled sessions and I was messing with covering up my brake ducts to record brake temp delta. Hopefully the next event goes smoother and I can get a better idea of the wear rate for these pads. I'll have to keep an eye on the wear (and on my braking). Appreciate the info!
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Yeah I'm aware that the faster wear is part of the tradeoff vs the 08s, but I was surprised at how fast they were wearing. Wear rate is same left to right and front to rear. I also do drive with them on the street, but just to and from the track, so minimal braking.

The last track day I did was pretty messy. Traffic, couple large oil spills that delayed/cancelled sessions and I was messing with covering up my brake ducts to record brake temp delta. Hopefully the next event goes smoother and I can get a better idea of the wear rate for these pads. I'll have to keep an eye on the wear (and on my braking). Appreciate the info!
                  Why would you cover your brake ducts to measure temps?

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer
                    record brake temp delta
                    probably wanted to see what the difference was having the covers open and close.
                    "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
                    ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

Made my own brake ducts and was my first time running on track with them. Wanted to see how much cooler the rotors were with them, so I covered them for a few laps, measured temps, then uncovered for a few laps and remeasured.

Factory Specs Production date: 2002-04-16 Type Code: BL93 Body Type: Coupe Transmission: 6MT Exterior Color: Topasblau (364) Interior: Powered, lumbar, non-heated, black nappa (N5SW) Options: Sunroof, HK, CD53 Misc: MK20, MSS54, M11 rod bolts Maintenance Engine Oil: 124,077 mi (Feb 06, 2021) Coolant: 123,200 mi

Comment

PFC 08 are great. A little squeaky for the street but I still street drive it with them. I’ve cracked two stoptech rotors using that pad though. I’m debating going with a BBK or sticking with stock calipers and PFC 08s through another set of rotors.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearhead55 View Post
                          PFC 08 are great. A little squeaky for the street but I still street drive it with them. I’ve cracked two stoptech rotors using that pad though. I’m debating going with a BBK or sticking with stock calipers and PFC 08s through another set of rotors.
                          Make sure you are using your cool-down lap effectively and never use your parking brake in the paddock.

Comment

What about carbotech xp8? Anyone have good experience with those? I’ve been researching a lot lately too and the pfc08s keep coming up but $$$. I was also looking at ferodo ds1.11 but still $$$. Same application as op.

Comment

Make sure you are using your cool-down lap effectively and never use your parking brake in the paddock.
                              Yea I think I wasn’t cooling down sufficiently. Is there anything I should do besides let them get air and brake as lightly as possible on cool down lap? Should I be braking more on the cool down lap so that temp change is slower? I knew not to use my parking brake.

Comment

Working...
                              X