Brake pads for Track days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gearhead55 View Post

Yea I think I wasn’t cooling down sufficiently. Is there anything I should do besides let them get air and brake as lightly as possible on cool down lap? Should I be braking more on the cool down lap so that temp change is slower? I knew not to use my parking brake.
    Which rotors are you using? Are the cracks hairlines or do they catch a fingernail?

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post

Which rotors are you using? Are the cracks hairlines or do they catch a fingernail?
      Stoptech slotted. Cracked to the edge and catches a fingernail. Creates a vibration under braking now. The last time it cracked much worse though

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Crowley739 View Post
        What about carbotech xp8? Anyone have good experience with those? I’ve been researching a lot lately too and the pfc08s keep coming up but $$$. I was also looking at ferodo ds1.11 but still $$$. Same application as op.
        I cant seem to find any feedback from that pad with our cars. Someone I spoke with today said to try Carbotech XP10 up front and XP08 in the rear. Im still undecided

Comment

Stoptech slotted. Cracked to the edge and catches a fingernail. Creates a vibration under braking now. The last time it cracked much worse though

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
          Part of your problem is StopTech metal, part of your problem is PFC08s are notoriously hard on the rotor.

The combination of the two is the third part of your problem, lol.
          '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

I just took off a set of spent XP10s. I ran them at VIR with very little wear and then managed to completely wipe them out at Watkins Glen.

They have good modulation, but the bite wasn't quite there for me. Then they didn't hold up well to the heat at WGI, would fade, then started depositing, leaving me with some nasty vibrations.

I'm on stock calipers with no ducting. If I were to do Carbotech again, I'd grab the XP12s. The pricing is competitive, the modulation was good, and the dust was super easy to wash off as I understand they're more ceramic biased than metal biased like a hawk pad.

This weekend I'll be running Hawk DTC-70s at Summit Point since I had them around. I've run them once before and liked the bite, but hated how the metallic dust turned to cement after getting wet. This is what I believe people refer to as the "corrosion" caused by the dust, as it rusts together into a mass. I wasn't able to get them very hot last time since it was raining, so I'm curious to see what I can do with them.

Definitely consider myself still figuring out a brake setup I like for track days. HT-10s were king on my E30, loved them in that application. Looking for that fit in the M3 world.

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

Part of your problem is StopTech metal, part of your problem is PFC08s are notoriously hard on the rotor.

The combination of the two is the third part of your problem, lol.
              Makes sense. I copped another stoptech as a replacement but this will be my last set.

Do you guys have a suggestion for rotors?

Comment

Makes sense. I copped another stoptech as a replacement but this will be my last set.

Do you guys have a suggestion for rotors?
                Out of the OEM 1-piece options, Zimmermann has done well for me across my track BMWs. Bonus that FCP carries them with their lifetime replacement, if you choose to go down that route. Can always keep a spare set handy and send them back if they crack.
                '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

I run Raybestos ST43's and they're amazing.
                  2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                  2005 BMW ///M3
                  Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                  2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                  2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                  2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

I've run G-LOC (https://www.g-locbrakes.com/) for several years and could not be happier. They have great initial bite, are very predictable and easy on rotors. Below are the G-LOC compounds I prefer, but call Danny Puskar at G-LOC for personal assistance.

Front: R12
                    Rear: R10

Feff
                    MVP Track Time

Comment

Sharocks I definitely like the price of those pads and at this point the less money spent = more track time.

Im going to get the Raybestos ST43

I love how all of the options in the category im shopping say "easy on rotors"
                      Last edited by lvm3sm46; 05-20-2022, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

Out of the OEM 1-piece options, Zimmermann has done well for me across my track BMWs. Bonus that FCP carries them with their lifetime replacement, if you choose to go down that route. Can always keep a spare set handy and send them back if they crack.
                        lifetime replacement sounds *fire emoji* *fire emoji* *fire emoji*

Comment

PFC 08 are great. A little squeaky for the street but I still street drive it with them. I’ve cracked two stoptech rotors using that pad though. I’m debating going with a BBK or sticking with stock calipers and PFC 08s through another set of rotors.
                          Try DBA rotors, they even have temp paint on them. By far the best stock size rotors I have used on track. I don't care for stop tech products, have had too many issues with a number of their products and their support for their products pretty much sucks in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by wahsm View Post

Try DBA rotors, they even have temp paint on them. By far the best stock size rotors I have used on track. I don't care for stop tech products, have had too many issues with a number of their products and their support for their products pretty much sucks in my experience.
                            Do you have a vendor that you prefer?

Comment

Originally posted by wahsm View Post

Had dba 4000 rotors on the car before switching to bbk. They worked very well.

However with FCP warranty hard to ignore the BMW ZCP “floating” rotors. You’ll need new brackets on the front. You can run the rear rotor with stock brakes but they will develop a lip since you don’t get full pad contact. The rotors themselves are very high quality.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Made my own brake ducts and was my first time running on track with them. Wanted to see how much cooler the rotors were with them, so I covered them for a few laps, measured temps, then uncovered for a few laps and remeasured.

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...836#post166836
                                There was a discussion on fb group that VAC’s airdam design works better than flexible duct. Thinking of doing similar experiment between duct and airdam.

Did you use temp paint or the stick on?

Comment

Working...
                                X