Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help close BMW Airbag Recall for a e46 track car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help close BMW Airbag Recall for a e46 track car?

Hi M3forum,

Recently I got a 2nd recall notice from BMW regarding my e46 m3 air bags (drv. and pass.) I was wondering if anyone knows or has connections to a service advisor or service manager at a BMW dealer to help me close the two recalls out. As the title says, I've converted the m3 into a track car so those two airbags are more useless than my driving skills. If someone can point me in the right direction. That'll be great, I've reached out to SF BMW but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

Please PM me if you need my VIN.

Thank you in advance!

Every time I've tried to deal with BMW of SF, they've been absolutely useless. Only thing they've been good at is calling me every once in a while to tell me that my car needs service. Haven't even been able to get them to sell me parts, despite multiple attempts.

If you still have the original airbags, maybe you could reinstall and go have them swap them out for you. That would for sure stop the notices. Might even be able to sell the new parts and buy a couple track days with the money.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
      Every time I've tried to deal with BMW of SF, they've been absolutely useless. Only thing they've been good at is calling me every once in a while to tell me that my car needs service. Haven't even been able to get them to sell me parts, despite multiple attempts.

If you still have the original airbags, maybe you could reinstall and go have them swap them out for you. That would for sure stop the notices. Might even be able to sell the new parts and buy a couple track days with the money.
      thank you for the suggestion and experience with BMW of SF, my e46 is fully gutted and fully caged with aftermarket steering wheel and dash is gutted, still reg. and driviable on the street. ;-)

Comment

If its unregistered, stripped and only towed - why even bother? You can call the 800 number provided in the mailers and tell them to stop contacting you.

Comment

Originally posted by Samsonite79 View Post
          Hi M3forum,

Recently I got a 2nd recall notice from BMW regarding my e46 m3 air bags (drv. and pass.) I was wondering if anyone knows or has connections to a service advisor or service manager at a BMW dealer to help me close the two recalls out. As the title says, I've converted the m3 into a track car so those two airbags are more useless than my driving skills. If someone can point me in the right direction. That'll be great, I've reached out to SF BMW but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

Please PM me if you need my VIN.

Thank you in advance!
          Only now getting a 2nd recall notice? I accumulated a stack of notices about an inch thick before I finally caved and scheduled the service.

Just drive the car down to the dealer and play dumb. 😂
          2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post
            If its unregistered, stripped and only towed - why even bother? You can call the 800 number provided in the mailers and tell them to stop contacting you.
            It's still smogged and street "legal" so I like to keep it that way; I'm making sure DMV doesn't decide to put a hold on registeration for a open recall.

I might drive down there with the air bags in the pass. seat and let them take it out and put it back on the bare floor.. hah

Comment

I’ve tried countless times. Its impossible without them scanning the replacement airbag.

Comment

You have to call BMW directly to have them process the car as a track car. I had the same issue jumping though hoops.

Comment

I just took care of this on the wagon that I daily, but my M3 doesn't have the OE wheel anymore. I called the number on the 15+ letters I've gotten and told them it's not needed, we'll see if it works... I told the dealer that worked on the wagon that I still have the wheel from my M, can they just swap the unit in it? Of course the answer was no, but worth a shot.
                  RIP M3F
                  2002 M3 - 2002 325iT - 1994 Bronco

Comment

Anyone know if their airbag recall process (and any associated BMW- pushed software updates) can interfere with a tune?

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post
                      Anyone know if their airbag recall process (and any associated BMW- pushed software updates) can interfere with a tune?
                      I recently had both airbags replaced at my home. They didn’t touch anything but the airbags. I had the trim off and steering wheel airbag disconnected. The tech was there 15 minutes. 😎
                      TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
                      Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
                      Evolve Eventuri
                      - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

Originally posted by WOLFN8TR View Post

I recently had both airbags replaced at my home. They didn’t touch anything but the airbags. I had the trim off and steering wheel airbag disconnected. The tech was there 15 minutes. 😎
                        Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by WOLFN8TR View Post

They apparently stopped doing this near me. When I asked they said they will tow it to BMW instead on their dime (car is inop at the moment).

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post
                            They apparently stopped doing this near me. When I asked they said they will tow it to BMW instead on their dime (car is inop at the moment).
                            That doesn't make any sense at all, they could replace the airbags in less time than it takes to tow it to the dealer! I went around and around with BMW about the airbag recall, they would come out to do the passenger side but not the drivers side. A got a call from Arrowhead BMW of Arizona, they would come out to the Las Vegas area to do airbag recalls, I couldn't believe it! They were great to deal with. Their contact info: 480-806-1076. Extension 4010. If not close to you maybe they can refer you to another dealer that will help. Good luck...
                            TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
                            Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
                            Evolve Eventuri
                            - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

It's pretty crappy the DMV would freeze registration over an airbag recall. I've done airbag recalls that were open for 10 years in FL. Tags were definitely up to date. At my dealer, we've definitely worked on less than street legal cars and whether it can be registered or not is not our concern. Our concern is what's on the repair order and anything we see physically wrong during the inspection. I don't think any software update recalls are even valid on E46s so there will be none of that. We don't update software for free because it takes quite a bit of time. The only time you can expect to lose a tune is if a module gets replaced that requires coding and programming. Our cars only have like 6 or 7 of those. A recall is a recall. If it has a faulty part, we replace it. I'd do the recall as long the steering wheel is sitting in the car because at anytime, you can switch from your race car steering wheel back to your regular. It's not like the steering wheel has been modified.
                              This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Working...
                              X