X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this go for FCABS as well?

Comment

Guys, I followed this FCP Euro guide:

►No matter how well BMW designed the E46 M3, with worn-out bushings, and tired control arms, you aren't doing the car justice in performing the way it was in...

They did not torque down with the vehicle on the ground? Who has done it wrong?

Comment

Only rubber bushings need to be torqued at ride height. Any ball joint or spherical bearing can be torqued in any position.

Reason is that if you torque a rubber bushing when not at ride height, the bushing will twist when you put the car back on the ground. This "preloads" the bushing and can cause weird behaviors and accelerated wear. Ball joints etc. rotate freely, so there's no way to preload them, no matter what position you torque them at.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I’ve always torqued down FCA in the air. The bushing is shaped and it can only fit in one way. The bolt isn’t horizontal like the RTAB. I have no funky behavior. Could I be wrong, certainly.
          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
            Only rubber bushings need to be torqued at ride height. Any ball joint or spherical bearing can be torqued in any position.

Reason is that if you torque a rubber bushing when not at ride height, the bushing will twist when you put the car back on the ground. This "preloads" the bushing and can cause weird behaviors and accelerated wear. Ball joints etc. rotate freely, so there's no way to preload them, no matter what position you torque them at.
            Ah so sounds like I need to Redo my FCAB mounting bolts. That should be much easier to do!

Comment

Originally posted by thetypicalm3guy View Post

Ah so sounds like I need to Redo my FCAB mounting bolts. That should be much easier to do!
              Actually that should be fine. No bolt goes through the bushing so no way to torque and preload it. The way to adjust preload on that bushing would be to press the rubber part out and clock it differently within the housing.

If you bought the entire assembly, it should come properly clocked. If you just bought the rubber part and pressed it in, it might be worth checking that it's clocked correctly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20220718-202100_Chrome Beta.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.8 KB ID:	176550
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Actually that should be fine. No bolt goes through the bushing so no way to torque and preload it. The way to adjust preload on that bushing would be to press the rubber part out and clock it differently within the housing.

If you bought the entire assembly, it should come properly clocked. If you just bought the rubber part and pressed it in, it might be worth checking that it's clocked correctly.

Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot_20220718-202100_Chrome Beta.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.8 KB ID:	176550
                Oh I see. I bought it already installed in the carrier arm.

Comment

Working...
                X