Replacement Steering Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
    Got my Coby wheel last week, looks good to me. Great deal for the price with a core return. Regarding the thickness, yea it's a bit more because it's another layer on there. But I like that. I don't understand why people gripe about it. I have a wheel exactly like this in my E36, same colors and style but I bought it from Tanik on eBay. I think the Coby wheel is on par with these materials at least.

It looks good. My only problem is that it is nappa leather, which is MUCH smoother than stock E46 leather. But most people like nappa, so I'm sure I'm a minority here. Also, Coby stitching is slightly off, with stitches slightly larger in step, and placed farther away from the edge, which creates a bit of a "square" stitch.

Last edited by TexaZ3; 09-16-2021, 05:02 PM.
    BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Yea the stitching is different, but again for the price I think it's a good deal. I can't comment on the leather since I've never experienced a nice, clean original steering wheel LOL, mine was pretty fucked.
      http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
      '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
      '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
        Got my Coby wheel last week, looks good to me. Great deal for the price with a core return. Regarding the thickness, yea it's a bit more because it's another layer on there. But I like that. I don't understand why people gripe about it. I have a wheel exactly like this in my E36, same colors and style but I bought it from Tanik on eBay. I think the Coby wheel is on par with these materials at least.
        People go far too hard on Coby. He is half the price for 90% to 95% of the quality. Those dudes in Europe can f$ck off.

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

I ordered a couple wheels from Europe so I could see if they match oem quality.

TexaZ3 that stitching looks atrotious man. Just can't find much quality work here.
          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Yeah I don't think it's fair to say he is 90-95% of the quality. The wrapping over the back is what makes it a no go for me I think. Essentially looks like loose material, and the stitching is very meh. His shifter/ebrake boots are great though. Bought an ebrake handle a while ago and it was laughable. Made me pretty sure I will want to go elsewhere for the steering wheel.

Waiting on someone to find an OE quality level retrim in alcantara, not sure if Tainik or ledermanz are that kind of quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post
              Yeah I don't think it's fair to say he is 90-95% of the quality. The wrapping over the back is what makes it a no go for me I think. Essentially looks like loose material, and the stitching is very meh. His shifter/ebrake boots are great though. Bought an ebrake handle a while ago and it was laughable. Made me pretty sure I will want to go elsewhere for the steering wheel.

Waiting on someone to find an OE quality level retrim in alcantara, not sure if Tainik or ledermanz are that kind of quality.
              I have had a zcp wheel on my car since around 2006. Once I get the tainik and ledermanz side by side I can post my findings.
              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post
                Yeah I don't think it's fair to say he is 90-95% of the quality.
                Wouldn't argue real hard but even if 80% it is still a bargain that looks pretty darn good considering it is a wear item if you drive your car. The European wheels are sky high now, sky high. Too high. I feel like I'm getting ripped off at the current pricing 🤷‍♂️

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Yea I mean the Coby wheel was literally $300 *edited*
                  '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

I will say, my Tanik wheel is better in the details and the stitching. But that was double the price a few years ago, and I think he charges even more now.
                    '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Nate did you send your wheel in for 300 or you bought a re-upholstered wheel from him for 300?

If you sent your wheel as a core then you paid 300 for the material and labor. Tainik charges what like 450-5ish now but you keep your wheel so I'm not sure how much savings are realized.

Comment

Yea I bought a reupholstered one and I need to return my core still. So it's $300 plus the refundable core charge. I also got his new wheel trim piece because mine was scratched. I don't absolutely love how the material is dealt with on the back, but I can live with it. Let's see how it holds up, maybe time will reveal it to be a bad purchase, but maybe not.
                        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

How much is the core return? So in the end you will be paying 300 - $$?

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                            Nate did you send your wheel in for 300 or you bought a re-upholstered wheel from him for 300?

If you sent your wheel as a core then you paid 300 for the material and labor. Tainik charges what like 450-5ish now but you keep your wheel so I'm not sure how much savings are realized.
                            This is what he is charging for SMG (which i have) on ebay: $959

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22298708037...0AAOSwO5pZ5Fl6

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

This is what he is charging for SMG (which i have) on ebay: $959

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22298708037...0AAOSwO5pZ5Fl6
                              That's your fault for getting smg dogg !

mt - 99
                              smg - 0

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

That's your fault for getting smg dogg !

mt - 99
                                smg - 0

No argument there but that is why i said they can f$ck off lol

Comment

Working...
                                X