No announcement yet.

MAP sensor wiring help PLEASE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To give a counter point, I was down there just a couple days ago for my suspension install, and Jim seemed like one of the nicest guys I met in the business. Matt Coyne is also with them now, and he's definitely one of the best guys to work on these cars. Now they are busy - seemed like he would get a call from a customer every 30 seconds. But I never got the impression that they were blowing anyone off.

Comment

I had talked with Jim and Matt in the past and they were both awesome to talk with. They must just be real busy like you say. I know how it can be where I work with only a few employees, you get busy then people start calling in frequently asking questions, I'll be brief with them.
      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
      Instagram

Comment

I ordered a Turner IAT relocation kit and wired the Kassel stuff directly to it. I did this so my car would be extra easy to return to stock if I decided to remove the airbox. Once wired, I switched the IAT signal pin in the connector box to the proper location.

You can see the IAT relocation kit a little bit in this picture. It worked out well for me but it wouldn't work if you wanted to run the flap or look totally OE.

Last edited by Steve; 04-27-2020, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          I ordered a Turner IAT relocation kit and wired the Kassel stuff directly to it. I did this so my car would be extra easy to return to stock if I decided to remove the airbox. Once wired, I switched the IAT signal pin in the connector box to the proper location.

You can see the IAT relocation kit a little bit in this picture. It worked out well for me but it wouldn't work if you wanted to run the flap or look totally OE.

Why does this prevent you from running the Flap? Do you say that just because you would have to cut/splice wires in order to run the flap and you don't want to do any irreversible changes?
          Also what signal pin are you referring to? I see wiring for the IAT as just power and ground according the first diagram I posted, which does confuse me as I would imagine the IAT can't just run power ground as it must obviously communicate with the DME somehow. But I know its a two wire connection.

I've been thinking one way is to wire the Kassel MAP using pin 17 ground, 18 signal, 7 power, than cutting the Turner harness off so its just got the IAT connection/wiring and tapping that into the necessary DME wires. My intent is to NOT cut/splice however I want to eventually run the Flap so I think that is pretty much inevitable.

Also I wonder how feasible it would be to use the Turner harnesse's plug for a MAF sensor (that goes unused for our purposes) to tap into and make use for the flap? Those spade connections already crimped to wire are readily available.
          Last edited by Cubieman; 04-27-2020, 05:27 AM.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

Why does this prevent you from running the Flap? Do you say that just because you would have to cut/splice wires in order to run the flap and you don't want to do any irreversible changes?
            Also what signal pin are you referring to? I see wiring for the IAT as just power and ground according the first diagram I posted, which does confuse me as I would imagine the IAT can't just run power ground as it must obviously communicate with the DME somehow. But I know its a two wire connection.

I've been thinking one way is to wire the Kassel MAP using pin 17 ground, 18 signal, 7 power, than cutting the Turner harness off so its just got the IAT connection/wiring and tapping that into the necessary DME wires. My intent is to NOT cut/splice however I want to eventually run the Flap so I think that is pretty much inevitable.
            The MAP signal goes to pin 18 per the diagram posted above.

I'm not 100% on this, but I think the power and ground I used are those that others use for the flap when they wire it to the car. I had planned to use the Karbonius snorkel so the flap was never in the picture for me anyway. Actually, the Karbonius snorkel wasn't either because FedEx lost it.

When you open up the turner harness, this is what you'll find.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

The MAP signal goes to pin 18 per the diagram posted above.

I'm not 100% on this, but I think the power and ground I used are those that others use for the flap when they wire it to the car. I had planned to use the Karbonius snorkel so the flap was never in the picture for me anyway. Actually, the Karbonius snorkel wasn't either because FedEx lost it.

When you open up the turner harness, this is what you'll find.

So when you say you wired the MAP to the Turner harness did you just open it up and splice in power/ground?

Instagram

Comment

So when you say you wired the MAP to the Turner harness did you just open it up and splice in power/ground?
                I cut off that connector and wired it to the appropriate places.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	115.2 KB ID:	19516

Well its coming together...
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Cubieman; 04-30-2020, 09:57 PM.

Instagram

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200501_005842.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	19567

Instagram

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200501_005842.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	19567
                      Looking good! I thought u had a TMS airbox coming?
                      06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Maybe this will help a little?

#e46M3 #S54 #CSLAirbox #CarbonFiberWelcome ! Finally we are starting installation process of the CSL Streamline Carbon Fiber Airbox! First we have to do a co...

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post
                          Maybe this will help a little?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VWGQ71_gQk
                          Awesome, thanks!

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by COVID-19 View Post

Looking good! I thought u had a TMS airbox coming?
                            I do have a Turner box comming, I got impatient and also got a bit worried about the untested Turner box. This is so much work I figured I wanted to use a tried and true product, although it cost me a LOT more.

I also wanted the ability to run a snorkel as I worried about the Turner box sucking too much hot air.

Once my Turner box arrives I'll be selling it at the GB price.

Instagram

Comment

Well I ended up using slot 16 for the MAP sensor ground and the Turner relocation harness has the IAT hooked up. Car starts and idles, haven't tested it yet and I couldn't get Testo to work to test the MAP sensor. However when I first started the car it started then immediately died. I had forgotten to plug in the connector to the MAP, after this the car started up. Don't know if that could be an indication the sensor is good to go or not.
                              Anyways, just about to go for the first drive, wish me luck..

EDIT: Holy s**t does this car pull now, and that sound above 4K is INTENSE. A few things about the tune I might have changed but all in all this is bad F'n ass!!!
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	20200502_001555.jpg Views:	3 Size:	215.4 KB ID:	19891
                              Last edited by Cubieman; 05-01-2020, 10:20 PM.

Instagram

Comment

So after testing my MAP sensor with Testo I think there may be an issue with using pin 16 as a ground after all.
                                The car seems to run fine and holds idle, smells richer than before I did all this but thay may be from the tune.

Findings:

When ignition is in position 2 the voltage reads 3.9v instead of 4.9-5 and pressure reads 970mbar

When started the voltage swings 0.9-1.4v and pressure swings from about 230-350mbar.

When I look at the voltage line on my read out it consistantly swings up/down much more than the screenshot I see on Ecuworks.com.

Ecuworks.com info for reference:

https://www.ecuworx.co.uk/2016/03/15...g-a-csl-clone/
                                Maybe I need to tap into pin 17 and see what happens then.

Would it be alright to use pin 17 for both IAT and MAP? Pin 17 provides ground for my IAT via a Turner IAT relocation harness. The Turner harness plugs into where the MAF was and pin 17 provided ground to the MAF.

Pic of the car idling (cold start):
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	20200502_153408.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.1 KB ID:	20043
                                Last edited by Cubieman; 05-02-2020, 01:59 PM.

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X