No announcement yet.

MAP sensor wiring help PLEASE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, checked my car again. I apparently have the MAP on pin 17, IAT and flap position sensor on pin 16.

Decided to do some quick logs flipping the pins around:

MAP on Pin 16 (the blip you see is me pressing the throttle for a second)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 6.22.12 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	123.5 KB ID:	20133

MAP on Pin 17

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 6.34.12 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	127.4 KB ID:	20132

Both look pretty much the same to me. Engine was completely cold for the first test (pin 16) which should explain the slightly higher resting pressure.

I also checked my with my multimeter, the two pins register as continuous to each other and continuous to ground for me.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
      Okay, checked my car again. I apparently have the MAP on pin 17, IAT and flap position sensor on pin 16.

Decided to do some quick logs flipping the pins around:

MAP on Pin 16 (the blip you see is me pressing the throttle for a second)

Click image for larger version Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 6.22.12 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	123.5 KB ID:	20133

MAP on Pin 17

Click image for larger version Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 6.34.12 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	127.4 KB ID:	20132

Both look pretty much the same to me. Engine was completely cold for the first test (pin 16) which should explain the slightly higher resting pressure.

I also checked my with my multimeter, the two pins register as continuous to each other and continuous to ground for me.
      Thanks, great info there.
      What do you think would be causing my readings to be bounce up and down as much as they are? Also my readings are slightly out of normal range.

I am going to swap pins so IAT would be grounded on 16 and MAP on 17 and see what happens on Testo.
      Last edited by Cubieman; 05-02-2020, 04:05 PM.
      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
      Instagram

Comment

Your reading with the engine off seems fine to me. You can do a sanity check with a barometer app on your phone (and really the barometric reading from the DME is somewhere within testo too). If it's within 50 mbar of atmospheric pressure, I wouldn't sweat it.

Engine on seems is what's weird. My first thought would be a wiring issue, but I do have to wonder if the sensor being mounted basically directly to a throttle body instead of further downstream causes oscillations like that. I haven't seen others complain of that though.

Comment

Your reading with the engine off seems fine to me. You can do a sanity check with a barometer app on your phone (and really the barometric reading from the DME is somewhere within testo too). If it's within 50 mbar of atmospheric pressure, I wouldn't sweat it.

Engine on seems is what's weird. My first thought would be a wiring issue, but I do have to wonder if the sensor being mounted basically directly to a throttle body instead of further downstream causes oscillations like that. I haven't seen others complain of that though.
          Yeah I've had a curiosity in the back of my mind in the last few months as I prep for a CSL box whether putting the MAP where Kassel does might cause some weirdness in the signal since it's so close to a TB opening. I always assumed no or not appreciably because so many people seem to run it without issue, but, still, very curious.

Comment

Swapped pins, this test was with MAP ground to pin 17 and IAT ground to pin 16:

Ignition position 2:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20200502_212932.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	20205 Igniton on (cold start):

Name:	20200502_213022.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	20206

Instagram

Comment

So pretty much the same. I'd check the other two pins on the map sensor are making good contact.

Reading change at all when you give throttle?

Comment

So pretty much the same. I'd check the other two pins on the map sensor are making good contact.

Reading change at all when you give throttle?

The reading changes with throttle. Pin 18 (Signal) is firmly seating in block via factory type termination. However pin 7 (Power) is attached via a T-tap, when I test for voltage on the spade going into the tap I get 5VDC. I plan to solder but wanted to tap first just to make sure everything worked.
                And again this car smells like it is running rich, and again that probably is just a result of the tune.

Maybe there is something to the location of the sensor itself, I do have the other type connector that would go on the brake servo line. Would be kind of pain though because I would have to re-route all my beautiful wiring, but I am curious.
                Last edited by Cubieman; 05-02-2020, 07:02 PM.

Instagram

Comment

Is there any reason to believe that having the MAP sensor in one location versus another has any affect on the accuracy of the reading? Comparing the most popular solutions 1) OEM air rail 2) Kassel 3) Inline adapter from a hose
                  2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Could my routing of the MAP wiring so near the fuel injectors have anything to do with getting this strange signal?

Name:	20200430_220926.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	20227

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post
                      Is there any reason to believe that having the MAP sensor in one location versus another has any affect on the accuracy of the reading? Comparing the most popular solutions 1) OEM air rail 2) Kassel 3) Inline adapter from a hose
                      I may be able to test that.
                      I'm thinking of doing a test where I take my wire out from right beside the fuel injectors (where I have a theory that they are causing signal interference) and over the air box to the DME. This test would keep the location of the MAP sensor itself the same (Kassel adapter).

The next test would be to use my inline MAP adapter.

Those two tests may be able to determine if wiring route and/or MAP position have anything to do with my strange readings.

I just really don't want to pull those wires I spent so much time routing and de-pin too many times as I fear the locking tabs on the pins might only take so much abuse before they don't work. But I am quite curious and there is only one way to find out!

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

I may be able to test that.
                        I'm thinking of doing a test where I take my wire out from right beside the fuel injectors (where I have a theory that they are causing signal interference) and over the air box to the DME. This test would keep the location of the MAP sensor itself the same (Kassel adapter).

The next test would be to use my inline MAP adapter.

Those two tests may be able to determine if wiring route and/or MAP position have anything to do with my strange readings.

I just really don't want to pull those wires I spent so much time routing and de-pin too many times as I fear the locking tabs on the pins might only take so much abuse before they don't work. But I am quite curious and there is only one way to find out!
                        I was going to test mine but my computer doesn’t like my car. Curious to see your results. I still have more adapters incase anyone wants to do some testing lol
                        06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Originally posted by COVID-19 View Post

I was going to test mine but my computer doesn’t like my car. Curious to see your results. I still have more adapters incase anyone wants to do some testing lol
                          I had to switch my USB cable to COM9 for the Testo program to work. Usually I think you'll have it set for COM1 for INPA. But I really don't know much about those things. Just really glad my computer and car like to play together!

Instagram

Comment

Got it to work. My car was kinda warm already BTW. I don’t seem to have a fluctuation at idle.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F5688E0E-9671-4F98-894D-E6627E40CEB2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	130.1 KB ID:	20318 Click image for larger version  Name:	92267212-3366-4192-B156-2F197E407376.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	116.5 KB ID:	20319
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by COVID-19; 05-02-2020, 11:05 PM.
                            06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Great stuff. Will Testo log IAT's?
                              '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

I’ve been using pin 16 for 6 years. It works fine.
                                Likewise.

Comment

Working...
                                X