Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do before a year long storage

Hey folks,

I am moving out of country for +2 years or maybe even more depending on how things work out….

and I simply can not let the M go…

so i rented a 10x20 storage unit, it is covered but not climate controlled.
    There is no one from the family/friends who could take it out for a spin or so (still trying) more than likely i will come around maybe every 6 months or so…

What are the things that i should do to make sure that i do the right thing?

- fuel: full tank or as low as possible? Any additives?
    - lift the car up
    - should i drain the oil or just leave as is? I just did an oil change a couple of weeks ago. So it is fresh at this point..
    - also it is a convertible, anything special for the top?
    - i will remove the battery and plug it on a tender? Does this seem crazy?

Thank you all

Leave the new oil. Fill gas tank with a Top Tier gas brand. Do NOT lift the car up. Consider the tires toast after 2 years in storage. Same with the battery - so skip the charger. Do not have people start it every few months. That will cause condensate to form in the exhaust and rot it out.

I strongly recommend that you proactively deal with mice front-to-back. They can really cause a lot of damage over 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post
      Leave the new oil. Fill gas tank with a Top Tier gas brand. Do NOT lift the car up. Consider the tires toast after 2 years in storage. Same with the battery - so skip the charger. Do not have people start it every few months. That will cause condensate to form in the exhaust and rot it out.

I strongly recommend that you proactively deal with mice front-to-back. They can really cause a lot of damage over 2 years.
      Thank you, this is very enlightening…

i will have someone check the storage once in awhile for rats etc.. lots of poison, mothballs, irish soap etc? Any other ideas?
      Last edited by ErdeM3; 06-25-2022, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ErdeM3 View Post
        one question: why full tank of gas? Corrosion etc?
        I highly suggest you use a fuel stabilizer.

Comment

Any other ideas?
          Steel wool stuffed into any openings. Exhaust pipes, fog light intake, kidney intake, etc.

Just make sure to also put up a giant sign on your steering as a warning/reminder that you've stuffed a bunch of things with steel wool.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Thank you, this is very enlightening…

i will have someone check the storage once in awhile for rats etc.. lots of poison, mothballs, irish soap etc? Any other ideas?
            Poison contains grain bait. Don't bait rodents to your car. And you don't want them dying in there, bloating up and then..... D-CON makes mouse preventive. Seal your exhaust with metal screen. Put a note on the dash to remove it before starting. I'd have someone replace the rodent repellent every 4 months and check for damage.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
              Just make sure to also put up a giant sign on your steering as a warning/reminder that you've stuffed a bunch of things with steel wool.
              https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg

Comment

Great ideas! Thank you!

should i cover the car at all?

Comment

Great ideas! Thank you!

should i cover the car at all?
                  Mice build nests in dark places.

Comment

Since you are leaving the car sit on the ground, you can use tire cradles. They are supposed to help with flat spotting.

I also suggest gas stabilization additive.
                    Last edited by L0okitzRaj; 06-25-2022, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Of course this is a question for later but after a year or more, what happens to fuel?
                      with the stabilizer, everyone says you are good for a year but what about afterwards? Just drain the fuel and replace it, i guess?

Comment

Fuel is no good after a year, even with stabilizers. Had a 40 mile 2021 Porsche come in to get the fuel drained for this very thing. Unless you have a lithium ion battery, which I highly doubt, it's not worth the tender. Just remove it so it doesn't swell in the car. Inflate your tires to 55 to 60 psi. Don't use a cheap pad lock that can easily be broken because you should definitely leave the car unlocked. All windows up and everything closed. There are top conditioners you can use but nothing really special. The sun is the killer of tops. Verify EWS is working and pay attention to who watches you store it.

Make sure you do an A/C compressor run in when you get back. An oil priming would do you good as well. Sticking to an annual oil change will be more than enough in that regard. Drive it for at least 15 minutes after it's up to temp to allow the oil to sufficiently clean.

I once saw a cooked family of squirrels next a coolant hose because they were dumb enough to chew through it at operating temp.
                        Last edited by Arith2; 06-25-2022, 07:23 PM.
                        This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Lots of great advice in here. 100% agree that mice/rodents are the primary thing you want to tackle. I have found no fool-proof way to keep them out of the car.

Leaving the hood up has definitely helped to keep them out of the engine bay in my experience. Not sure if you'll have power, but you could hang a low power LED light from the hood or placed in the engine bay somewhere deter them.

Originally posted by Estoril View Post
                          Do NOT lift the car up.
                          Why do you not want to lift the car up? This is counter to what I've heard...

Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
                            Lots of great advice in here. 100% agree that mice/rodents are the primary thing you want to tackle. I have found no fool-proof way to keep them out of the car.

Leaving the hood up has definitely helped to keep them out of the engine bay in my experience. Not sure if you'll have power, but you could hang a low power LED light from the hood or placed in the engine bay somewhere deter them.

Why do you not want to lift the car up? This is counter to what I've heard...
                            leaving the hood open is an interesting idea…but there is simply no light and it will be very dark no matter what… is this gonna give easier access?

i heard/read different things about lifting the car…
                            i will simply inflate the tires as recommended and call it good… ordered some tire savers, if the assignment gets cuts short…

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
                              Don't use a cheap pad lock that can easily be broken because you should definitely leave the car unlocked. .
                              Good advice! Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X