Dr Vanos Cryo hub or Beisan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lavatoad View Post
    Photos of my hub. I marked the end of the crack in the closeup. It had worked it's way roughly 60% across. Consider myself pretty lucky
    Why only one tab cracked? Does it mean this tab carried most of the load while the other one just lazy going along? I think so as it is very hard to design metal parts that make perfect contact at 3 points, considering the center is one of the point. This means the hub and the disk are not perfectly concentric. Perhaps if these 2 parts are perfectly mated to center, then the 2 tab share the same load and half of the load that the hard working tab did crack.
    How to achieve better hub to disk centering? This is why when I installed my small-hole disk, I did the hub pretension step with the vanos bolted on the head: this helped to center the hub as compared to pretensioning the hub alone.
    Last edited by sapote; 07-24-2022, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Interference fit between tabs and disk holes? Wow. I think they should have some clearance because the hub is bolted to the sprocket, and the disk is on the vanos, and so they might be a little off center due to tolerance stacking.
      The tabs slide into the oil pump disc holes, there's no back and forth. The disc has been on there for 5 years, no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Lavatoad View Post
        Photos of my hub. I marked the end of the crack in the closeup. It had worked it's way roughly 60% across. Consider myself pretty lucky
        I've never seen an attached but cracked tab, thanks for posting the pics.
        '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
        Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
        Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

I've never seen an attached but cracked tab, thanks for posting the pics.
          I posted a similar picture of my hub on the old forum (I'll need to dig through my photos at home). One tab broke off, the other was partially cracked.
          I think terra had a partially cracked tab on his hub too.

IMO if using an old hub, it needs to be removed and tested with either dye or magnaflux. Oil got wicked in the crack in my hub so it was easy to see, but better safe than sorry. Again, just my opinion.
          Last edited by elbert; 07-25-2022, 04:47 AM.

Comment

FYI Popped into my feed today and may be of interest to this thread:
            Having been around E46 M3's and the S54 engine inside them for a very long time, we've always known of the VANOS issues these cars have such as being noisy, ...

Claims that I thought were interesting (not necessarily agreeing with):
            - observed several failures on the rebuilt/potted solenoid packs and only uses brand new solenoid packs from now on
            - used to use sleeves on the pump disc vs drilling, now just opt's to drill the holes
            - claims S62 diaphragm springs can reduce VANOS response times in "race car" applications
            - has noticed several stretched timing chains and this leads to engine noise and lazy timing adjustments
            - uses the 10.9 cam bolts from e36 versus the updated torx head bolts
            - no need to use the anti rattle kit in the helical cut splines

Not saying any of the above is true but info to consider nonetheless.

Comment

The before and after videos were a nice touch, really demonstrates the difference with respect to the entire VANOS maintenance process.
              3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
                The before and after videos were a nice touch, really demonstrates the difference with respect to the entire VANOS maintenance process.
                Concur. Clearly a significant change in noise.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
                  Having been around E46 M3's and the S54 engine inside them for a very long time, we've always known of the VANOS issues these cars have such as being noisy, ...

- observed several failures on the rebuilt/potted solenoid packs and only uses brand new solenoid packs from now on
                  - used to use sleeves on the pump disc vs drilling, now just opt's to drill the holes
                  - claims S62 diaphragm springs can reduce VANOS response times in "race car" applications
                  - has noticed several stretched timing chains and this leads to engine noise and lazy timing adjustments

Mr. VANOS? Dude didn't even get his degree. (Mitch Hedberg joke about Mr. Pibb vs Dr Pepper).

Lots of things justified by "these cars don't see real miles anymore, so no need to make it last longer than stock" justification in there.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i
                  2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

First, I thought the video was well done and I enjoyed it.

I noticed a lot of those points to and thought it interesting. I wish they had touched more on the chain stretch idea, I imagine there is some IP they don't want to release but a bit more info would have been quite interesting considering THAT is an idea that doesn't get thrown around much.

Also interesting about the cam bolts in the second car, they use a different bolt but in that car they had been done "properly" with a stock bolt so its ok, just thought that was an interesting justification for not replacing them with what they think is better.
                    '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Mr. VANOS? Dude didn't even get his degree. (Mitch Hedberg joke about Mr. Pibb vs Dr Pepper).

Lots of things justified by "these cars don't see real miles anymore, so no need to make it last longer than stock" justification in there.
                      I thought that was a VERY interesting point. He replaces the chain tensioner guide with stock because these cars likely won't go enough miles to see them break again? I guess you could also say that if the chain is only good for 70k miles then it'll need to be replaced before the chain guide breaks so no need to install an updated part. Interesting stance.

I don't claim to be the best, I just always want to be better so I watched this video with interest, just some perspectives that don't align with common thought.

I wish Imran had given us his impressions without knowing that he should "expect" more mid range and a snappier throttle. Not saying that isn't the case here, but I do believe in the placebo effect.

Comment

First, I thought the video was well done and I enjoyed it.

I noticed a lot of those points to and thought it interesting. I wish they had touched more on the chain stretch idea, I imagine there is some IP they don't want to release but a bit more info would have been quite interesting considering THAT is an idea that doesn't get thrown around much.

Also interesting about the cam bolts in the second car, they use a different bolt but in that car they had been done "properly" with a stock bolt so its ok, just thought that was an interesting justification for not replacing them with what they think is better.
                        Chain stretch is a common issue on the S62, probably because it's so much longer. I replaced mine when I did the VANOS on it.

That said, I've long wondered if the chain is continually stretching longer every mile, or if it stretches to a point and then stops. If all the stretch in the first, say, 10,000 miles, replacing it makes a lot less sense than if it's forever getting longer.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Chain stretch is a common issue on the S62, probably because it's so much longer. I replaced mine when I did the VANOS on it.

That said, I've long wondered if the chain is continually stretching longer every mile, or if it stretches to a point and then stops. If all the stretch in the first, say, 10,000 miles, replacing it makes a lot less sense than if it's forever getting longer.
                          Maybe so, but it's the first I've ever seen it mentioned as an "issue" on the S54. It would have been interesting to see data on it, I mean I imagine he's splitting the chain to remove and install, it would be cool to see the data on the lengths being different vs the mileages.

Comment

I didn’t see him remove the timing cover to change the chain. Can you change the chain without taking the cover off?

Comment

I didn’t see him remove the timing cover to change the chain. Can you change the chain without taking the cover off?
                              He probably splits the chain, attaches one end of the new one to the old, spins the engine over until the new chain is wrapped around all the components and then installs a new link pin

Comment

He probably splits the chain, attaches one end of the new one to the old, spins the engine over until the new chain is wrapped around all the components and then installs a new link pin
                                Or just skipped it. Never seen any evidence the s54 needs it done.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                                X