No announcement yet.

Alternator Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many miles/years are you guys seeing the original alternators lasting on these cars? I'm on the original unit, (12/2002 build) with 81,000 miles. I've actually replaced the battery in this car regularly every 4 or 5 years (sometimes before they die) so I'd like to think my alternator has a had a decent life. I don't have a battery light currently, but historically once the alternator goes, you're on borrowed miles. And, seems like the new Valeo units are hard to find so I'm thinking just change it out, and shelve the one I have as a spare.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post
      How many miles/years are you guys seeing the original alternators lasting on these cars? I'm on the original unit, (12/2002 build) with 81,000 miles. I've actually replaced the battery in this car regularly every 4 or 5 years (sometimes before they die) so I'd like to think my alternator has a had a decent life. I don't have a battery light currently, but historically once the alternator goes, you're on borrowed miles. And, seems like the new Valeo units are hard to find so I'm thinking just change it out, and shelve the one I have as a spare.
      I think what tends to kill them is people just driving around with oil leaks, I am on the original unit with more than double your miles. Although I plan to replace it this winter just as a preventative, but they seem pretty well made.
      E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
      E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
      E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

I personally didn't have difficulty finding one, plus keeping an old one that you don't trust as a spare is kind of a false economy especially considering the labor. I say rock what you've got until it stops 🤷‍♂️

Comment

See post 22.

I might be in the market for another alternator. I usually buy everything from FCP. However I have talked to several folks who had the reman'd bosch units failing quickly. I found brand new Valeo units for sale at Bimmerworld: https://www.bimmerworld.com/Alternator-120-Amp-12-31-7-831-436_2.html There is also the

Comment

Mine "only" lasted about 13 years from new and about 85000km. No oil leaks, but mine failed in a somewhat different way to normal. That rotor winding on mine went open circuit somehow.

Comment

I would only put new alternator Valeo in not a remanufactured, I had reman from Fcp euro and it caught on fire 🔥 good thing I was parked and noticed right away otherwise car would burn down, liftetime warranty is awesome but don’t think I would have any use for it if my car burden to the ground, fyi only had alternator in for 3 months, my friend had similar issue with remanufactured alternator although it didn’t catch fire it only lasted 3 months as well. Save your self headaches and buy brand new one valeo had mine for 2 years since warranty replacement from fcp works food to this day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Has anyone ran the X5 140a alternator? Part number 12317551253. I've read somewhere that these will bolt right up and give you a little extra juice. My alternator just crapped out and the new 120a Valeo units aren't available anywhere. Would really rather not buy a remanufactured unit especially one that bosch did. From the little bit of investigating I did it looks like they are the same plug on the back between the stock 120a and the "upgraded" 140a from the X5
                Last edited by whoissuprme; 09-26-2022, 07:27 PM.
                2006 Alpine White/Black ZCP 6-Speed

Join the E46 M3 Owners FB Group HERE

Comment

Originally posted by whoissuprme View Post
                  Has anyone ran the X5 140a alternator? Part number 12317551253. I've read somewhere that these will bolt right up and give you a little extra juice. My alternator just crapped out and the new 120a Valeo units aren't available anywhere. Would really rather not buy a remanufactured unit especially one that bosch did. From the little bit of investigating I did it looks like they are the same plug on the back between the stock 120a and the "upgraded" 140a from the X5
                  I'd also like to know this. I've been searching for a Valeo, but can't find anywhere. The Z4M alternator is available (150A) however. On a side note, Valeo still lists the 439317 as "in production" so maybe these are only run in batches at certain times of the year by Valeo.
                  Last edited by PSUEng; 09-27-2022, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Yes I noticed this as well. The Valeo unit is backordered everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a Bosch replacement and that lasted me a year somehow. Also, the car would shake on idle with it. Not sure if it was the installer or not. Had a new OE unit installed and the idle shake stopped

Comment

I confirmed with Valeo today that 439317 is just backordered--not discontinued. They state they should have more in December.

Comment

I'd also like to know this. I've been searching for a Valeo, but can't find anywhere. The Z4M alternator is available (150A) however. On a side note, Valeo still lists the 439317 as "in production" so maybe these are only run in batches at certain times of the year by Valeo.
                          Doing a little digging it seems like the plugs on the back are slightly different. I believe you can just swap plugs but would need confirmation with someone who has done it already. I did end up ordering the 140a X5 alternator last night so we'll see what happens when it comes in tomorrow.

Pics of 120a (OEM e46 m3 alternator) vs the 150a (OEM z4m alternator)
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	e46m3 120a alternator.png Views:	0 Size:	489.0 KB ID:	186175

Click image for larger version  Name:	z4m 150a alternator.png Views:	0 Size:	519.5 KB ID:	186177
                          Attached Files
                          2006 Alpine White/Black ZCP 6-Speed

Join the E46 M3 Owners FB Group HERE

Comment

Looks like the electrical plug is different.

Comment

I don't know how long the M3 brushes will last, but on my 2000 323iT with 180K miles the brushes were still good for up to 200K miles. The best way to find out is to remove the regulator/brushes and check the protruded brush length: Just replace the brushes or the whole regulator (with brushes) if they are less than 4mm. No reason to replace the whole alternator as long as the brush slip rings are in good condition. I don't trust re-manufactured alternators.

Comment

Originally posted by whoissuprme View Post

Doing a little digging it seems like the plugs on the back are slightly different. I believe you can just swap plugs but would need confirmation with someone who has done it already. I did end up ordering the 140a X5 alternator last night so we'll see what happens when it comes in tomorrow.

Pics of 120a (OEM e46 m3 alternator) vs the 150a (OEM z4m alternator)
                                Click image for larger version Name:	e46m3 120a alternator.png Views:	0 Size:	489.0 KB ID:	186175

Click image for larger version Name:	z4m 150a alternator.png Views:	0 Size:	519.5 KB ID:	186177
                                Thanks for doing this. Looking forward to the results.

Comment

Working...
                                X