Alternator Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Subfra///Me View Post
    On a side note, why are people interested in using any other alternator than the one specifically made for the e46 M3? What are the advantages?
    Availability and cost. For me, I keep and rotate cheap spares for track use. I wouldn't mind rotating old X5 alternators through my spare parts bin.

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

Any updates?
      I've been running this alternator since October with absolutely 0 issues. Go with the x5 alternator if you need a replacement
      2006 Alpine White/Black ZCP 6-Speed

Join the E46 M3 Owners FB Group HERE

Comment

Originally posted by whoissuprme View Post

I've been running this alternator since October with absolutely 0 issues. Go with the x5 alternator if you need a replacement
        Thank you, already on the way

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

Thank you, already on the way
          Good to hear! Sorry about the late response I haven't been active on the forums lately.
          2006 Alpine White/Black ZCP 6-Speed

Join the E46 M3 Owners FB Group HERE

Comment

The issue with the reman Bosch units is they licensed the business to a Chinese firm that substituted shit Chinese components, notably the bearings. New Bosch has quality bearings.

Valeo is OE and great, though most times you don't need an alternator, just a voltage regulator.

Comment

Originally posted by Subfra///Me View Post
              Fantastic info! Thank you!

I just confirmed on the Valeo link you provided. Interesting that the Bimmerworld part number is actually a Re-Gen and the unit from Rock Auto is an Origins and cheaper.
              Just looking at the available Valeo parts myself as mine is struggling to break into the 13V range. The Bimmerworld page claims they are selling the brand new Valeo unit, but the part # they list suggests it's a reman. I've had bad luck with Rock Auto parts in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by nahvkolaj View Post

Just looking at the available Valeo parts myself as mine is struggling to break into the 13V range. The Bimmerworld page claims they are selling the brand new Valeo unit, but the part # they list suggests it's a reman. I've had bad luck with Rock Auto parts in the past.
                The voltage regulator wears out over time and might be causing the low voltage. They should be less than 100 bucks.
                Last edited by Slideways; 07-20-2023, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                  The voltage regulator wears out over time and might be causing the low voltage. They are should be less than 100 bucks.
                  Yeah the OEM Valeo regulator (made in Poland) is $79 and Genuine BMW regulator is $149 (from FCP).
                  6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Voltage regulator failed in my Bosch after 15k miles
                    2004 M3-Silver Grey Metallic/Imola Red-Coupe-6spd
                    2002 330Ci-Topaz Blue Metallic/Black-5spd
                    Instagram- Norocehcap

Comment

Installed the 140amp X5 alternator. Perfect. Thanks whoissuprme
                      Last edited by 0-60motorsports; 07-24-2023, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Will View Post
                        Does anyone have experience with rebuild kits from Maniac Electric Motors (link)?

Individual parts available, or kits like this for $55, too:

Click image for larger version  Name:	alternator-rebuild-kit-2001-2005-320i-325i-325xi-330i-2001-2006-325ci-330ci-x5-2001-2003-525i-530i-13970rk-27.jpg Views:	926 Size:	14.2 KB ID:	176886
                        I just bought this kid without the regulator for $23 as spare parts for my car.

Replace the brushes (and the slip rings if needed) is a fairly easy process. Have done this before.

Comment

Sorry if this had been discussed before: what is the reason why we can't use any Valeo or Bosch 120A alternator with square 2pin connector from the non-M car? If mechanically they fit to the M3 then I don't see the reason why we can't use them.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
                            Sorry if this had been discussed before: what is the reason why we can't use any Valeo or Bosch 120A alternator with square 2pin connector from the non-M car? If mechanically they fit to the M3 then I don't see the reason why we can't use them.
                            Mid the connector shape is the same my understanding is you can use them. People are also using e53 X5 alternators. The 140amp one, fwiw.

I tested fitted my 330i alternator. Fit fine and connected but I never tried it as the motor was out of the car.

Comment

My car shows a voltage of 13.9V / 14.0V when I pull up the OBC hidden menu with engine on and driving. Do I need a new alternator?

Comment

Originally posted by kkkk View Post
                                My car shows a voltage of 13.9V / 14.0V when I pull up the OBC hidden menu with engine on and driving. Do I need a new alternator?
                                No that sounds good. Get it checked nonetheless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X