Alternator Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kkkk View Post
    My car shows a voltage of 13.9V / 14.0V when I pull up the OBC hidden menu with engine on and driving. Do I need a new alternator?
    That's what my Valeo outputs. Replaced new about 5 years ago and battery lasted longer than that.

I know everyone talks about 14.4 ish volts but my old E36 M3 was the same. About 14V max. And batteries last a lot longer than other cars which I suspect is the slightly lower voltage not over charging causing too much gassing in the battery.

Comment

Just got my Valeo from Bimmerworld. Yes I know it was cheaper elsewhere, and I ordered it before reading up on Valeo part numbers. Figured I'd try to negotiate with them if their description was wrong and it ended up being a refurb. But good news is it's the -17 PN, so the description is accurate but the PN is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

No that sounds good. Get it checked nonetheless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I do have an overheating issue though, when the AC turns on a hot day I will ready 96deg coolant temp.
        Otherwise Im usually around 90C . Most other cars Iv seen are around 86C

Comment

I do have an overheating issue though, when the AC turns on a hot day I will ready 96deg coolant temp.
          That's exactly what was going on with me but at one point I went up to 98c. Check the other things first like clean radiator, fan clutch etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What's your ambient temp? In 113F/45C ambient heat I'm regularly seeing 92C/198F to 96C/205F in city driving depending on if I'm moving or not.

This is with a new (~1yr old) cooling system: pump, hoses, radiator, fan clutch and blades, 50/50 BMW coolant. Condenser may be a bit dirty, but I'm not too worried about these temps.

Comment

has anyone see the voltage regulator that comes equipped with Bosch (#AL9407x) remans?
              there is no listing of them anywhere.

Comment

I used the Valeo regulator - valeo part number 593423. The only place I could find it was FCP Euro. I ordered one from ECS tuning and it was the wrong part.

Comment

I had 2 reman and both failed at load.. ended up buying one from FCP just before covid. Can't believe how expensive some things got. Valeo is OEM fyi so its same as BMW branded

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                    I used the Valeo regulator - valeo part number 593423. The only place I could find it was FCP Euro. I ordered one from ECS tuning and it was the wrong part.
                    Are you saying that a valeo regulator did not fit a Bosch reman? Was the Bosch reman specifically made for the e46 m?

Comment

Originally posted by ZiMMie View Post

Are you saying that a valeo regulator did not fit a Bosch reman? Was the Bosch reman specifically made for the e46 m?
                      The Valeo regulator fit. The Bosch one did not…I think it was a non-M part. It’s also ECS so it’s 50/50 whether anything fits

Comment

Originally posted by pawelgawel View Post
                        I had 2 reman and both failed at load.. ended up buying one from FCP just before covid. Can't believe how expensive some things got. Valeo is OEM fyi so its same as BMW branded
                        I had a debate between a reman Bosch vs a brand new Valeo as I thought the core charge would be a waste.
                        In the end, I opted to go for a brand new Valeo for $355CAD taxed & shipped to my door since the saving isn't very significant.
                        If a reman failed, the time just isn't really worth the $100 differences.

Now, I don't know what to do with my good working reman BBB alternator that has only 50-60k km on it. Most shops don't just take the alternator without purchasing a reman from them.

Comment

just sell it

Comment

My original BMW, Valeo alternator just failed Friday while on track. It lasted 19 years and 166k miles.

I took it apart to determine what failed. One of the brushes in the voltage regulator was not making contact with the slip ring and was fully worn. The slip ring actually looked pretty good. So I debated just buying the brushes and fixing it…but I was having some challenges melting all the solder and didn’t want to buy another, higher temp soldering iron. The bearings also need to be replaced which looks like a challenge on the pulley side of the alternator.

So, I ordered a new one from AutohausAZ P/N: 12317831436 Valeo OEM for $267. This is my first time using this merchant.

Anyone know of a repair shop than can rebuild these things? I’d like to have a spare.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by OldRanger View Post
                              My original BMW, Valeo alternator just failed Friday while on track. It lasted 19 years and 166k miles.

I took it apart to determine what failed. One of the brushes in the voltage regulator was not making contact with the slip ring and was fully worn. The slip ring actually looked pretty good. So I debated just buying the brushes and fixing it…but I was having some challenges melting all the solder and didn’t want to buy another, higher temp soldering iron. The bearings also need to be replaced which looks like a challenge on the pulley side of the alternator.

So, I ordered a new one from AutohausAZ P/N: 12317831436 Valeo OEM for $267. This is my first time using this merchant.

Anyone know of a repair shop than can rebuild these things? I’d like to have a spare.
                              autohausAZ has been awesome to me in the past!

Comment

Originally posted by OldRanger View Post

Just replace the voltage regulator. Skip the bearings unless they are making noise.

Comment

Working...
                                X