Dead Pixels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
    I was speaking to t3ddftw about this recently and he said for the E46 it is PN LQ065T9BR53 or LQ065T9BR53U.
    I'm going to try 54U as well (E38/E39) as the viewing angles are very similar. 51 is definitely for the E53, so the viewing angle is way off.

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post

The guy skipped a lot of minor in between steps in the videos, but fortunately, they are self-intuitive with a little exploration. I did buy a broken unit to experiment on before making the commitment on my actual unit.

Also, don't use a multi-bit precision screw driver set. The magnetic head is too big to insert into the deeper narrow holes.
    I recommend this screw driver set: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QZLV03O Using the right size PH screw driver is key here, otherwise you risk stripping screws as some of them are well torqued.

Really good hand feel, and it worked well. I used the SL2.0 bit with some kapton tape wrapped around it to adjust the H-POS trim pot on the screen to ensure horizontal alignment.

With all that being said, it's kind of a pain in the ass to center the image on the screen. I am fortunate enough to have a bench setup with the infotainment system so I could do it all inside my home on a table, but even then it was frustrating.

I may be able willing to perform this service for folks, especially as I have already done it three times for myself. What are you guys willing to pay in terms of labor? I could supply the screen too.

-Ted
    Last edited by t3ddftw; 07-27-2022, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by t3ddftw View Post
      I may be able willing to perform this service for folks, especially as I have already done it three times for myself. What are you guys willing to pay in terms of labor? I could supply the screen too.
      That'd be great - who better than a trusted member of the community? I'm unsure how much labor is involved to perform the repair but please keep us posted if you decide on pricing. Thanks Ted!

Comment

I'm going to try 54U as well (E38/E39) as the viewing angles are very similar. 51 is definitely for the E53, so the viewing angle is way off.

I recommend this screw driver set: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QZLV03O Using the right size PH screw driver is key here, otherwise you risk stripping screws as some of them are well torqued.

Really good hand feel, and it worked well. I used the SL2.0 bit with some kapton tape wrapped around it to adjust the H-POS trim pot on the screen to ensure horizontal alignment.

With all that being said, it's kind of a pain in the ass to center the image on the screen. I am fortunate enough to have a bench setup with the infotainment system so I could do it all inside my home on a table, but even then it was frustrating.

-Ted
        That’s a great idea Ted! Thank you for offering this service to the community.

Comment

can you guys elaborate on what this "center the screen or image" part of the swap exactly is? I am confused what it is that needs to be done? you have to center the LCD screen in the trim or center the image on the LCD?
          2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
          2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
          2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
            can you guys elaborate on what this "center the screen or image" part of the swap exactly is? I am confused what it is that needs to be done? you have to center the LCD screen in the trim or center the image on the LCD?
            You have to center the image on the LCD using this trimpot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	0EDDC1C1-D124-4360-ABC5-2A0983665A93.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	178037

that means you have to assemble the monitor at least enough to get an image on the screen.

Comment

You have to center the image on the LCD using this trimpot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	0EDDC1C1-D124-4360-ABC5-2A0983665A93.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	178037

that means you have to assemble the monitor at least enough to get an image on the screen.
              How can you tell if its going to be centered before you reassmble it?
              2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

How can you tell if its going to be centered before you reassmble it?
                There’s no way to know without turning the monitor on (reassembling the BMBT).

This means there’s two ways to handle it:
                1. Assemble the screen (and hopefully it’s already centered, but not likely), then disassemble it, adjust and repeat until it’s right. I don’t have the patience for this method.

2. Assemble the screen enough so the ribbon cables are connected, just the ones for the picture, and hold the assembly in your hand while you use your other hand to adjust the trim pot.

It is worth noting that the screens seemingly are not way off, maybe 1/8 - 1/2 inches in either direction, so if you’re not too peculiar, you can get away with leaving it as-is.

Thanks!
                -Ted

Comment

Ted, I will pay for this service when my car is back on the road.
                  2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Ok I see. Im kind of hesitant to buy one from ebay. not sure if they are selling second hand units as new. Or how long ago the "new" ones were even made and been sitting around. Where is the best place to get the LCD?
                    2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                      Ted, I will pay for this service when my car is back on the road.
                      shoot me an email at support@bluebus.dev please

I’m thinking $120 for labor? It’s a couple hours of work at least, and it’s very annoying, but I appreciate folks keeping the factory electronics.

Ok I see. Im kind of hesitant to buy one from ebay. not sure if they are selling second hand units as new. Or how long ago the "new" ones were even made and been sitting around. Where is the best place to get the LCD?
                      eBay has been stellar. The way it works with obsolete electronics is that the excess stock is sold off to suppliers in China, typically in Shenzhen. There are giant electronic markets where these second hand parts are traded, so these suppliers put out the word of what they have, then sellers with eBay stores put up listings for these items. When an order comes in, they go out to the market and buy one off a supplier to resell to you. What this means for us is that it doesn’t matter if you buy it from eBay, some random store online or AliExpress, they’re all coming from the same suppliers.

It also doesn’t matter how long they’ve been sitting. These delaminate because of direct exposure to heat, so if it’s been sitting in a warehouse for 15 years, that isn’t a big deal. Honestly, we’re lucky these are even around to be purchased…

Thanks!
                      -Ted
                      Last edited by t3ddftw; 07-27-2022, 07:35 PM.

Comment

If you do decide to tackle this yourself, like everyone else mentioned, I'd be extremely careful. The plastic bits are very brittle at this age (and so are the ribbon cables) - took some searching to find a replacement ribbon cable on AliExpress. I replaced this screen twice before I replaced the entire unit with an AVIN.

Comment

I’m thinking $120 for labor? It’s a couple hours of work at least, and it’s very annoying, but I appreciate folks keeping the factory electronics.

eBay has been stellar. The way it works with obsolete electronics is that the excess stock is sold off to suppliers in China, typically in Shenzhen. There are giant electronic markets where these second hand parts are traded, so these suppliers put out the word of what they have, then sellers with eBay stores put up listings for these items. When an order comes in, they go out to the market and buy one off a supplier to resell to you. What this means for us is that it doesn’t matter if you buy it from eBay, some random store online or AliExpress, they’re all coming from the same suppliers.

It also doesn’t matter how long they’ve been sitting. These delaminate because of direct exposure to heat, so if it’s been sitting in a warehouse for 15 years, that isn’t a big deal. Honestly, we’re lucky these are even around to be purchased…

Thanks!
                          -Ted
                          thats a true statement right there. these "new in box" units cant be new in original box right?

2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

thats a true statement right there. these "new in box" units cant be new in original box right?
                            The ones I’ve bought come in anti-static wrap, which is about as new in box as you get with an LCD assembly

Since these were always meant for OEM use, they would’ve come in a giant box, likely on trays, wrapped in the anti static wrap.

-Ted

Comment

Thanks!
                              -Ted
                              I'll hit you up when the time comes for this.
                              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Seriously struggling with removing the Navigation unit from the interior. I have the keys and know how they work, but cannot find the slots under the knobs. Any tips? I don't have the screen in the "up" position, but I noticed some people on youtube leave it down. Is it easier with the nav in the "up" position? I just hate to plug my battery back in because I have the steering wheel airbag removed and the seats removed.

Mr. Wolfe

Comment

Working...
                                X