The Official Bring A Trailer (BaT) Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreyM340i View Post
    Amazing however once you pass the $60k price range it just makes no sense to me unless you’re a collector and the car has super low mileage.
    I'm not sure what you'd get instead for that amount. We have a '22 E450 4Matic in the garage for about that amount. Suffice it to say any real car guy will take the E39M, even though it's 20 years older. Maybe a '13/'14 E63 or CLS63 AMG, but this Caramel Heritage makes those suspect choices. And the fact that you can have this discussion with cars 10 and 20 years newer kind of makes the point.

maw
    Last edited by maw1124; 02-12-2023, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post

I'm not sure what you'd get instead for that amount. We have a '22 E450 4Matic in the garage for about that amount. Suffice it to say any real car guy will take the E39M, even though it's 20 years older. Maybe a '13/'14 E63 or CLS63 AMG, but this Caramel Heritage makes those suspect choices. And the fact that you can have this discussion with cars 10 and 20 years newer kind of makes the point.

maw
      I love the E39 M5 and always wanted one however for 50% of the price I would take a E55 AMG, or for the same cost this is going to go for I would go with a 997.1 Turbo. It’s just hard for me to pay that kind of money for a good condition M5. The M3’s we drive are already getting to the price range that make me think twice about them.

Comment

Cars from the heyday are cool, but imagine getting into a mini stoplight contest with this…
        Click image for larger version

Name:	B676A9DD-590E-425C-B7F8-3EBB5A2E7735.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	205276
        The inhumanity of getting roasted by a Golf of all things…. 12.5s ET, that’d be pretty hard to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Monkey View Post
          Cars from the heyday are cool, but imagine getting into a mini stoplight contest with this…

Name:	B676A9DD-590E-425C-B7F8-3EBB5A2E7735.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	205276
          The inhumanity of getting roasted by a Golf of all things…. 12.5s ET, that’d be pretty hard to beat.

Name:	20C43B2A-3992-4CEB-B391-8D56F21FFF60.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	205283

I got mine a few years ago for $30k, maybe 1/10 lower on the condition scale than that one, 58k miles, CB on black heritage. It’s not sterling on caramel which is just perfection but it works for me. It’s not nimble and the brakes are meh but it’s a really satisfying place to spend time. Parts prices are going way up though and some things are going NLA, so you have to really like it.
          Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	B676A9DD-590E-425C-B7F8-3EBB5A2E7735.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.5 KB ID:	205276
            But you still drive a volkswagon golf... that you spent $50k on after tax/interest.
            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	B676A9DD-590E-425C-B7F8-3EBB5A2E7735.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.5 KB ID:	205276
              I mean the E39 M5 traps about the same, is RWD vs AWD, weighs 500 lbs more, and was made 25 years earlier. If your 2022 50k AWD turbo hot hatch can't beat a luxury sports sedan released in 1998/1999, that's pretty sad.
              Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Yeah, "fast" is literally the last reason for a 20yo car. If you're buying cult classics from two decades ago (with their expensive NLA parts, etc, etc), chances are you've graduated from the stoplight derby.

maw

Comment

The people who pull up next to me haven't. So annoying. Thanking you for mistaking my car for being brand new, I'll take the compliment as a hobbyist detailer/refurbisher, but it really is 20 years old with almost 200k.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

But you still drive a volkswagon golf... that you spent $50k on after tax/interest.
                    So crazy that they cost that much. For that cost give me a used M340i x drive. Mine has pretty much been the best car I have owned so far. Best daily driver that’s fun and pretty quick.

Comment

A loaf of bread will be $50k soon

Comment

How are college students supposed to be able to afford a golf R at 50k? Corolla GR or Scion FRS seem to be more affordable options.
                        2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                        2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                        2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Well, once their student loans are paid off by the tax payor, they might be able to afford it, though more money printing begets more inflation which begets higher interest rates, so maybe not 🤡
                          Last edited by Tbonem3; 02-13-2023, 12:09 PM.

Comment

College students aren't supposed to be buying Golf Rs, they can buy a plain Golf just like they can have a plain WRX

Comment

Originally posted by Wernd View Post
                              College students aren't supposed to be buying Golf Rs, they can buy a plain Golf just like they can have a plain WRX
                              Well, yes but---I bought a '21 STI new and am shocked by what they are bringing. Base WRX is probably high too. I had this idea that this STI would "replace" my M3 which I'd just sell after 15 years, but...no dice. Note even close. I'm now in this "modern restoration" mode on the car and I really appreciate what this car is, 20 years old. I don't drag it, race it, don't care on power. So, I'm in for the near term I guess. But that's OK.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post

Well, yes but---I bought a '21 STI new and am shocked by what they are bringing. Base WRX is probably high too. I had this idea that this STI would "replace" my M3 which I'd just sell after 15 years, but...no dice. Note even close. I'm now in this "modern restoration" mode on the car and I really appreciate what this car is, 20 years old. I don't drag it, race it, don't care on power. So, I'm in for the near term I guess. But that's OK.
                                "yes but"? So you agree but what, there's an exception....... And I bought a brand new '04 STi back in 2003 as a twenty something, that doesn't change the fact that kids straight out of college don't NEED to buy Golf Rs for almost 50k.

Comment

Working...
                                X