Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PetrolM3 i'm eating my shoe. 56k

Comment

Seems like there are two camps of E46 fans - those who think they are the best thing since the slice of bread and throw around ridiculous numbers and those who think the market has gone crazy. I'm with the few who are somewhere in the middle and think the car should have sold for the highest bid of $56K, it was more than fair considering the SMG delete, front end repairs, current market, etc. I said $60K +/- 5K but something tells me the seller is not going to get $65K, he was just saying that as an attempt to save face for too high of a reserve.

I know us E46 fans are biased and the market over the past few years has us thinking that we own the most special car in the world but let's be realistic... there are plenty of other awesome cars out there and very few people will pay more than a reasonable price for any car, including a rare spec or low mile E46. IMO, CSL is the only exception. There are simply too many non-CSL E46 cars out there for them to be worth unreasonable amount of money. I owned a very unique and ultra rare spec M3 but I had to be realistic about what it's worth when I decided to sell it - in the end, I got more than I thought I would and was happy with my approach. Being delusional about what your car is worth will only hurt you in the end. My 2 cents...
      Last edited by PetrolM3; 05-06-2024, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PetrolM3 View Post
        Seems like there are two camps of E46 fans - those who think they are the best thing since the slice of bread and throw around ridiculous numbers and those who think the market has gone crazy. I'm with the few who are somewhere in the middle and think the car should have sold for the highest bid of $56K, it was more than fair considering the SMG delete, front end repairs, current market, etc. I said $60K +/- 5K but something tells me the seller is not going to get $65K, he was just saying that as an attempt to save face for too high of a reserve.

I know us E46 fans are biased and the market over the past few years has us thinking that we own the most special car in the world but let's be realistic... there are plenty of other awesome cars out there and very few people will pay more than a reasonable price for any car, including a rare spec or low mile E46. IMO, CSL is the only exception. There are simply too many non-CSL E46 cars out there for them to be worth unreasonable amount of money. I owned a very unique and ultra rare spec M3 but I had to be realistic about what it's worth when I decided to sell it - in the end, I got more than I thought I would and was happy with my approach. Being delusional about what your car is worth will only hurt you in the end. My 2 cents...
        I know what i have, no lowballers.

Comment

Originally posted by inlinesix123 View Post

I know what i have, no lowballers.
          🤣🤣🤣

Comment

IDK, to me they're $40k driving experience cars all day, and have been since 2010. Not $20k, not $60k, unless you have some notions about investment, which *might* actually be rewarded for these, or plan to wrench on the car yourself.

I've noticed over the years that BMW fans pay premiums for older well kept BMWs, so it's not a ridiculous notion. EAG built a business around that notion. I don't necessarily ascribe to it but it's not ludicrous. I've also noticed over the years that the DIY cars end up needing the most rescue. So there's that. The money will get spent sooner or later.

So find a good one, pay up to $40k for it, enjoy it, I don't see how you can be too far disappointed.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
              IDK, to me they're $40k driving experience cars all day, and have been since 2010. Not $20k, not $60k, unless you have some notions about investment, which *might* actually be rewarded for these, or plan to wrench on the car yourself.

I've noticed over the years that BMW fans pay premiums for older well kept BMWs, so it's not a ridiculous notion. EAG built a business around that notion. I don't necessarily ascribe to it but it's not ludicrous. I've also noticed over the years that the DIY cars end up needing the most rescue. So there's that. The money will get spent sooner or later.

So find a good one, pay up to $40k for it, enjoy it, I don't see how you can be too far disappointed.

maw
              A stingy man pays double, a fool pays triple.
              In this case, stingy boys pay 15, then another 20 in repairs in 3-5 years. Or, pay 15, then can't afford the car and sell it for 5 because you know, the s54 doesn't work.
              A fool pays 60k for an investment instead of putting that money into a ROTH IRA or 401k.'
              The "muh" investment crowd is my favorite.
              The "but in 10 years" crowd is my favorite.
              You have to get an incredible deal to be able to beat the market over 10 years by buying a BMW instead of investing in the laziest way possible, 401/IRA respectively.
              Last edited by inlinesix123; 05-07-2024, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Said EAG type "investment" example just went for $90k with fees. So you can see why I don't ascribe to that theory. That's about $50k high, as far as I'm concerned. If you don't know how to better invest $50k for appreciation on a risk adjusted basis than in a 20+ year old 3 series M car, well maybe you end up losing money.

maw

Comment

Said EAG type "investment" example just went for $90k with fees. So you can see why I don't ascribe to that theory. That's about $50k high, as far as I'm concerned. If you don't know how to better invest $50k for appreciation on a risk adjusted basis than in a 20+ year old 3 series M car, well maybe you end up losing money.

maw
                  ​It's clearly not an investment - just collectors doing collector things with rare spec and low mile cars. To be fair, I think that price does make sense for the spec, miles and condition. Are you suggesting that the car is only worth 40K?
                  Last edited by PetrolM3; 05-10-2024, 10:48 AM.

Comment

​It's clearly not an investment - just collectors doing collector things with rare spec and low mile cars. To be fair, I think that price does make sense for the spec, miles and condition. Are you suggesting that the car is only worth 40K?
                    Don't be adversarial.

I suggested clearly above that E46M are $40K driving experience cars.

What people pay for "collector" or "investment" cars for "rarity" is up to them.

I don't care one way or another.

maw

Comment

Don't be adversarial.

I suggested clearly above that E46M are $40K driving experience cars.

What people pay for "collector" or "investment" cars for "rarity" is up to them.

I don't care one way or another.

maw
                      Appreciate your opinion but I don’t see how it correlates with $ value of the car in question. Or any car for that matter…

Comment

Appreciate your opinion but I don’t see how it correlates with $ value of the car in question. Or any car for that matter…
                        It's not important whether you do.

maw

Comment

It's not important whether you do.

maw
                          Lol! Ok there. Welcome to a public forum.

PS. If you think your well used, silver smg vert is of equal value as some of these true enthusiasts spec, like-new specimens… then you are in that delusional club I mentioned.
                          Last edited by PetrolM3; 05-12-2024, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Lol! Ok there. Welcome to a public forum.

PS. If you think your well used, silver smg vert is of equal value as some of these true enthusiasts spec, like-new specimens… then you are in that delusional club I mentioned.
                            No, I'm in "the market has gone crazy" crowd. On no day are any of these worth $90k.

But it's not just this car market or just car markets. 20+ years of Free Money Fed Policy will get you this.

Cost and Value are not the same things. This is elementary. There is such a thing as overpaying for things and losing money because of it.

maw

Comment

No, I'm in "the market has gone crazy" crowd. On no day are any of these worth $90k.

But it's not just this car market or just car markets. 20+ years of Free Money Fed Policy will get you this.

Cost and Value are not the same things. This is elementary. There is such a thing as overpaying for things and losing money because of it.

maw
                              I disagree - based on everything you've said, I am now certain that you are in the delusional club. You clearly do believe that all E46 M3s are worth the same amount of money and that's hilarious but I guess it makes sense considering you have a silver SMG vert. Hagerty, EAG and sales across the market must all be wrong and you clearly think that you know something the rest of us don't... lol
                              Last edited by PetrolM3; 05-13-2024, 06:32 AM.

Comment

I disagree - based on everything you've said, I am now certain that you are in the delusional club. You clearly do believe that all E46 M3s are worth the same amount of money and that's hilarious but I guess it makes sense considering you have a silver SMG vert. Hagerty, EAG and sales across the market must all be wrong and you clearly think that you know something the rest of us don't... lol
                                Not even.

maw

Comment

Working...
                                X