The Official Bring A Trailer (BaT) Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PetrolM3 View Post

Agreed, the value is all mileage and not the spec but I don't disagree with the price - it's essentially a brand new E46 M3.

If you disagree, then is any brand new car worth the MSRP when we all know that it will depreciate as soon as you drive off the lot and start racking up the miles?
    A couple things. If a person buys a 50k plus car as a daily and that person is the least bit worried about money then they goofed. However, man do I know quite a few really dumb people who do exactly that.

I would discuss this particular car with this one thought in mind, do I see this car beating inflation over the long haul? No, I do not see this car beating inflation (significantly) and thus it isn't a good "collector" car (obviously IMO).

Maybe if they sit on it for a very long time it does beat inflation significantly. So from my point-of-view, you have a car that sits in the garage, doesn't make you any significant money, and you can't drive it. Again, unless you're quite wealthy then who cares.
    Last edited by oceansize; 06-07-2024, 11:55 AM.
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

A couple things. If a person buys a 50k plus car as a daily and that person is the least bit worried about money then they goofed. However, man do I know quite a few really dumb people who do exactly that.

I would discuss this particular car with this one thought in mind, do I see this car beating inflation over the long haul? No, I do not see this car beating inflation (significantly) and thus it isn't a good "collector" car (obviously IMO).

Maybe if they sit on it for a very long time it does beat inflation significantly. So from my point-of-view, you have a car that sits in the garage, doesn't make you any significant money, and you can't drive it. Again, unless you're quite wealthy then who cares.
      Clearly cars of this caliber are wealthy people's toys, whether they drive them or not. I don't think the buyer is concerned with whether it will beat inflation. Maybe he won't drive it much but it will give him joy to be able to if he choses to, or simply drool over it and show it off. The seller is a perfect example - he clearly loves collecting BMWs and puts very few miles on them. Clearly an enthusiast who actually values the car for what it is. He probably lost some money on this car since he bought it from EAG for a similar price, had to pay tax, etc. Does he care? Probably not. But that's not the point here - the point is that the car is the closest thing you can find to a brand new E46 M3 and it is definitely worth the selling price to those who can afford it. You and I can crap on it all day long since we can't afford a 92,500K paperweight but it doesn't make it worth any less just because it's out of our league.

Comment

In 2024, the rarity value on a 7k mile e46 M3 is far from zero, thus the price. Doesn't seem that puzzling to me. I'd speculate that someone who can afford a car like that probably isn't concerned with "beating the market" when it comes to their car collection.

Comment

Clearly cars of this caliber are wealthy people's toys, whether they drive them or not. I don't think the buyer is concerned with whether it will beat inflation. Maybe he won't drive it much but it will give him joy to be able to if he choses to, or simply drool over it and show it off. The seller is a perfect example - he clearly loves collecting BMWs and puts very few miles on them. Clearly an enthusiast who actually values the car for what it is. He probably lost some money on this car since he bought it from EAG for a similar price, had to pay tax, etc. Does he care? Probably not. But that's not the point here - the point is that the car is the closest thing you can find to a brand new E46 M3 and it is definitely worth the selling price to those who can afford it. You and I can crap on it all day long since we can't afford a 92,500K paperweight but it doesn't make it worth any less just because it's out of our league.
          Originally posted by discoelk View Post
          In 2024, the rarity value on a 7k mile e46 M3 is far from zero, thus the price. Doesn't seem that puzzling to me. I'd speculate that someone who can afford a car like that probably isn't concerned with "beating the market" when it comes to their car collection.
          Why I noted if you're really wealthy then none of this matters and certainly not my opinion. I think you guys are just looking for an argument when there is none to be had. Wealthy people do what they want. Now that doesn't preclude me from saying hmmmm, so what, not really what I want to do, and by not really what I want to do means staring at a car (especially since I'm not making any money).
          Last edited by oceansize; 06-07-2024, 12:32 PM.
          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Why I noted if you're really wealthy then none of this matters and certainly not my opinion. I think you guys are just looking for an argument when there is none to be had. Wealthy people do what they want. Now that doesn't preclude me from saying hmmmm, so what, not really what I want to do, and by not really what I want to do means staring at a car (especially since I'm not making any money).
            Point taken but let’s be honest - who else buys this kind of a specimen other than wealthy people?

Comment

Point taken but let’s be honest - who else buys this kind of a specimen other than wealthy people?
              I agree for the most part, but my man, you would very surprised at the numbers of people who have no business buying cars and do. Obvious question is how do I know this? I have a very close friend (since high school days) who is involved, with lets say, "wealth management". There are more people than you think who are living pay to pay check or close to that, but appear to have serious money. I'm telling the truth on that.

I will say this though, there are some dudes on this forum who do it right. They have three to five enthusiast cars and drive them all in a constant rotation, I can completely get behind that.

Comment

I also think it's a misadventure to assume that wealthy people would make financial decisions that would not, ultimately, bear fruit. How'd they get to be wealthy in the first place? Though I suppose we have a lot more trust fund kids and get-rich-quick with social media type people out there now.

But I completely agree, a poor spec e46 m3 that has high value purely because of low mileage is a bad car to buy. And no, a very low mileage E46 m3 is not "like new" it's still 20+ years old not to mention all the negative side effects of a car that isn't driven.
                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

I also think it's a misadventure to assume that wealthy people would make financial decisions that would not, ultimately, bear fruit. How'd they get to be wealthy in the first place? Though I suppose we have a lot more trust fund kids and get-rich-quick with social media type people out there now.

But I completely agree, a poor spec e46 m3 that has high value purely because of low mileage is a bad car to buy.
                  I've found wealthy people to be a mixed bag like everyone else. Some lucky, some smart, some driven, some trust fund babies, etc. I get to hang around some seriously wealthy people and dude, dude, dude, ... sometimes I simply don't understand. For real, I don't understand their decision making process, at all. However, it is quite possible I'm so dumb that I don't even know I'm dumb. LoL.

Comment

Since when a brand new 2006/Facelift Jet Black/Black is a poor spec?? Always had the impression it was the pre-Facelift Carbon black and TiAg that were the non desirable one…

2002 BMW E46 M3 Titanium Silver/M-Texture 6mt
                    2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
                    2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post
                      Since when a brand new 2006/Facelift Jet Black/Black is a poor spec?? Always had the impression it was the pre-Facelift Carbon black and TiAg that were the non desirable one…
                      For a "collector" grade buy
                      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Y'all are seriously overanalyzing someone else's decision to buy something they like.

Comment

Originally posted by discoelk View Post
                          Y'all are seriously overanalyzing someone else's decision to buy something they like.
                          Nah, we just discussing the pros and cons. Nobody here truly cares, after all we all own e46 m3s so we must all be rich, super smart, and men of unparalleled taste, am I right?

Comment

Now I can say jet black fetched the highest bid suckaz.

Now if it was a slicktop like mine it would've cracked 100k 🥸
                            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Almost all purchases big or small are triggered from some emotion which is why none of the shit makes sense.
                              /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post
                                +1 technically it's less common because they made less JB than CB or TiAg. Good to know a simple true black on black can fetch a high bid with low mileage.

Comment

Working...
                                X