Flywheel Lock Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flywheel Lock Tool

Does anyone have a flywheel lock tool I could borrow, rent, or buy? I'm in Raleigh, NC. Thanks...

Originally posted by BMWE46M3 View Post
    Does anyone have a flywheel lock tool I could borrow, rent, or buy? I'm in Raleigh, NC. Thanks...
    Curious: engine off the car or on the car? I guess engine off the car, but in this case, it's easy to lock by bolting on a long Unistrut bar on the flywheel using 2 of the PP bolts.
    Last edited by sapote; 08-21-2022, 10:43 PM.

Comment

No, the engine is still in. I removed the tranny to replace the input shaft seal and figured since it was out I would replace the pilot bearing and rear main seal. So I need to remove the flyweel bolts and then of course reinstall them and torque to spec.

Comment

You could also use the front crank lock. I bought this one but I need it right now. Otherwise, I’d ship it your way.

Comment

No, the engine is still in. I removed the tranny to replace the input shaft seal and figured since it was out I would replace the pilot bearing and rear main seal. So I need to remove the flyweel bolts and then of course reinstall them and torque to spec.
          I would get the unistrut bar at home-depot to lock the FW.

Last edited by sapote; 08-22-2022, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Forgive my ignorance, but how would I use the unistrut bar to lock the flyweel?

Comment

Am wondering the same thing.

Comment

I simply partly threaded one of the gearbox mounting bolts in a suitable position (one of the smaller lower 3), used it to hold a crowbar up against the starter ring teeth to hold the flywheel in place while I torqued the flywheel bolts to spec.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.wReckless View Post
                  I simply partly threaded one of the gearbox mounting bolts in a suitable position (one of the smaller lower 3), used it to hold a crowbar up against the starter ring teeth to hold the flywheel in place while I torqued the flywheel bolts to spec.

Regards
                  +1

Easier if you have two people, but still doable alone.
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

The bar has long slots. The flywheel has threaded holes for the PP mounting, then use 2 bolts to hold the bar to the flywheel through the slotted holes any way you want, then anchor the bar long end on ground to lock the FW.

Comment

Use A or B, depends on the location of the slots:

Click image for larger version

Name:	unistrut-bar.png
Views:	187
Size:	830.5 KB
ID:	181667

Comment

Thank you…

Comment

A, B, or C (across the FW center). C and A are stronger than B.

Comment

Working...
                          X