No announcement yet.

Side Finisher Rubber Replacement and Rear Side Window Trim Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just tackled the rear side window finishers today. Took about 4 hours total. What a pain in the arse. I used a heat gun and lots of adhesive remover along with a plastic scraper. Next up is tackling the side finishers.

Comment

Originally posted by see.m3.go View Post
      What have you guys found works best for removing the adhesive? Goo Gone does not seem to be cutting it.
      Coincidentally I did the finisher seal repairs and horizontal seals last weekend without seeing this DIY. Wish I read this first as it would have eliminated some guesswork.

To remove the adhesive left by the horizontal trim I tried bug&tar remover, alcohol, Goof Off, and finally Wax & Grease Remover. The wax & grease remover was by far the most effective, but it still took several applications and passes with a plastic scraper to get it off. I also used a heat gun and that helped soften it up.
      2002 E46 M3, 6MT | Stahl Grau Metallic with Imola Red Interior
      Rogue Engineering El Diablo Exhaust with ECV | 4.10 Diff
      Koni Yellows / Dinan Springs | AFE Stage 2 Intake

Comment

Finished the side finisher pieces today. I am usually one to just go for the go fast goodies but going a different route with this car. I love how bmw has made it like legos and that you can rebuild the whole dang thing. The adhesive tape on these wasn't as bad to take off as the rear side window trim. I used a heat gun again and peeled off with my thumbs.

Comment

Regarding the adhesive for the side trim: this came up in the previous version of this DIY on m3f.net. Someone in there suggested 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover and some plastic razor blades. The key is to begin scraping while the old adhesive is still wet with the remover. Within a couple seconds of soaking, it comes right up. Make sure you clean the area after you're finished in the case any remover may still remain on your paint.

2002 M3 Coupe | 1988 320i Touring

Comment

Big thanks to this thread as well as the video references mentioned. Just tackled this last week, plastic razor blades definitely make the job so much easier. I used Adam's TAR to remove the adhesive which worked like a charm: https://adamspolishes.com/products/adams-tar

Click image for larger version

Name:	60884323583__552A922D-3BB6-4B0C-9FF6-54E119BF2D55.JPG
Views:	3733
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	15605 Click image for larger version

Name:	60884499728__E1FF0621-BFD0-4D41-A101-B9B136D53952.JPG
Views:	3710
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	15606

Last edited by DiscoWagon; 04-22-2020, 11:00 AM.
            Current: 2003.5 E46 ///M3 6MT - 2019 Ford Raptor 802A
            Past: 2015 F80 ///M3 6MT - 2006 E46 ///M3 6MT - 1999 E36 ///M3 5MT - 1991 E30 ///M3 5MT

Comment

YES, I am JUST in the middle of planning this fix on my drivers side window. Thanks OP.

This should be added to the DIY thread, if not already.

Cheers everybody!

Comment

Did my driver side this past weekend with the Metro weatherstripping. I got a big kink but I'll go back in and stick some vacuum line in there.

I did this a long time ago on my old E46 and it turned out much better but no way I remember which weatherstripping I used. The metro one seemed too soft.

Comment

Originally posted by andyitslit View Post
                  Did my driver side this past weekend with the Metro weatherstripping. I got a big kink but I'll go back in and stick some vacuum line in there.

I did this a long time ago on my old E46 and it turned out much better but no way I remember which weatherstripping I used. The metro one seemed too soft.
                  I'm having the exact same issue with the Metro weatherstripping. Vacuum line didn't help. Any other weatherstripping that is recommended that can be ordered online?

03.5 LSB/LSB 6MT Coupe

Comment

I used the 3M, bought it off eBay. See post 1 to see everything I’ve seen people say they have used.
                    2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Is buying the double sided sticky tape required for reassembly? I see the 3M product has is it and it is not used per the 1st video, but do you need it for the other OE piece to go back on correctly?
                      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                      Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                        Is buying the double sided sticky tape required for reassembly? I see the 3M product has is it and it is not used per the 1st video, but do you need it for the other OE piece to go back on correctly?
                        Not required to attach the frame to the body, screws do a great job already at that. I haven’t heard any kind of rattling or air noise for not running the tape between the frame and the body.
                        2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

I’m not using double sided tape. Not needed. I have the passenger side done, working on drivers now.

Comment

Have you listened to the man in the YouTube video? He mentions double sided sticky tape like 50 times, so prob pretty important. Lol. Just kidding.
                            Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post

Have you listened to the man in the YouTube video? He mentions double sided sticky tape like 50 times, so prob pretty important. Lol. Just kidding.
                              I know, an hour after I watched it I keep thinking of........DOUBLE SIDED STICKY TAPE!!!
                              2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                              Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                              Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                              RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                              Instagram

Comment

Did the fix on the rear window...
                                Extra advice:
                                -put foam pipe insulation on the gutter strip after removal, so you don’t scratch it, it whips around all over the place as youre working on it
                                -use a heat gun to remove old adhesive tape, much faster
                                -figure out beforehand what pipe (~10mm) to put into the new tubing to stop it kinking and test this off line (needs to be soft and flexible)
                                -my rear window fixings broke upon disassembly, had to put in a temp fixing

Rant: when done, curse the designers for a poor quality, short life span part and wonder why the hell they think they can rob your wallet for the sake of 4 inches of rubber (they could have sold us the rubber insert on its own)

Comment

Working...
                                X