X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 911Fiddler View Post
    Did the fix on the rear window...
    Extra advice:
    -put foam pipe insulation on the gutter strip after removal, so you don’t scratch it, it whips around all over the place as youre working on it
    -use a heat gun to remove old adhesive tape, much faster
    -figure out beforehand what pipe (~10mm) to put into the new tubing to stop it kinking and test this off line (needs to be soft and flexible)
    -my rear window fixings broke upon disassembly, had to put in a temp fixing

Rant: when done, curse the designers for a poor quality, short life span part and wonder why the hell they think they can rob your wallet for the sake of 4 inches of rubber (they could have sold us the rubber insert on its own)

What did you use one your? Was this the 3M stuff? Or is that your temp setup pictured?
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Comment

I did mine with the metro stuff 2 or 3 years ago, it did turn out pretty well but this winter it started cracking again. I'm gunna have to find something slightly higher quality or more UV resistant.

Comment

I purchased the 3M stuff and plan to do it this weekend, for those who used the 3M how has it been holding up over the long run?

Instagram

Comment

Thank you for this! Has anyone tried the eBay link 3m?

Comment

why not just fill the gap?
            • 2006 AW/IR Manual
            • Karbonius Race / Alpha- N
            • Supersprint
            • KW V3
            • 996 Brembo
            • ZCP / PSS

Comment

Originally posted by Yooliseez View Post
              Thank you for this! Has anyone tried the eBay link 3m?
              Yeah, I ordered it and shipping only took 3 days.

Instagram

Comment

That 3M adhesive remover plus a plastic razor blade makes very quick work of removing the adhesive! I used painters tape on both sides to help minimize getting the spray everywhere. The spray must be applied directly to adhesive, let soak, then scrape.
                Thanks for that suggestion, I can't imagine doing this with a heat gun only. I started that way then stopped immediately after I found how effective the 3M/Plastic razor blades were!
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20200525_171209.jpg
Views:	2229
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	28278

Instagram

Comment

I used the 3M stripping. Passenger side came out perfect. I am still working on the drivers side to get out a little kink, that is right at the curve. This picture is of the good side.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Also wondering if the 3M or metro stuff is better. I'm hesitant to use a NOS rubber product if it's already going to be several years old when I install it... what's the point?

FWIW The Metro stuff is $10.95 on RockAuto, about $19 shipped.

Comment

I lucked out and had come clear vinyl tubing at home that fits inside the 3M and hopefully will prevent it from kinking. Yes the 3M stuff is new old stock, but seems it feels/looks like new, at least the one I got.. That works for me as long as it lasts 16 years like the factory pieces.

Instagram

Comment

So I eneded up having to do the driver's side twice, that wasn't fun. I put vinyl tubing in the 3M to avoid the kinking, but found out after everything was all back together that the 3M did not stick out far enough basically everywhere to create a seal. The window closed inside of the 3M, not on it.
                        So I pulled everything back off and using a liberal amount of lube I managed to shove clear vinyl tubing through the entire length of the 3M. This bulged it out enough to create a great seal as well as looking better.
                        Unfortunately that means I had to order another 3M kit as you only have enough to do both sides of the car and not mess up like I did. So I guess if anyone else needs one side done I might have some extra assuming I don't mess the passengers side up!
                        Also, I got quite cavalier about my handing of the long metal strip that the 3M sits in and managed to create a few scratches, that was dumb. Take your time, I did at first and came to a point where I knew it was time to stop but just kept going.
                        Last edited by Cubieman; 01-20-2021, 08:33 PM.

Instagram

Comment

So as it turns out having the vinyl tubing more or less run the entire length of the 3M was a mistake, it made it bulge out too much were the window won't close as far as the side I haven't messed with. The tubing should really only be used around the bend, ehhh.
                          Also I can hear the window motor working a lot harder to close the the window, so the driver's side has to come off for a third time! Too bad cause it looks so nice!
                          I think if I just run vinyl tubing to approx. the space where my photo ends on the left hand side that would create perfect "bulge" and not interfere with the window closing properly. I gotta have the perfect bulge ya know.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	20200526_195848.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.2 KB ID:	28723
                          Last edited by Cubieman; 05-26-2020, 05:47 PM.

Instagram

Comment

Is the metro weatherstripping good quality for those of you who bought it? I'm not sure if the 3M is more durable at a whopping $50
                            2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                            2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                            2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Thanks for the write-up. I gotta do this as well as all the rubber is cracking on that quarter panel. I gotta find some time to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

What did you use one your? Was this the 3M stuff? Or is that your temp setup pictured?
                                Hi, was not the 3M so some other brand. I would go 3M, usually works out better in the end to buy their stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X