FCP Euro Lifetime Replacement Guarantee Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post

Legally though, this will get very interesting for anyone in the old program
    Brb, gonna hire Johnny Depp's team of attorneys to make sure I don't get skimped on those injectors I bought.

E46 M3 | C7 RS7

Comment

Originally posted by Boost View Post

I agree with you guys on the pre-revision purchases needing to be grandfathered in. But moving forward, between lifetime store credit on certain parts (based on pricing at time of purchase) vs buying a little cheaper elsewhere without any credit/warranty, I'll still be shopping w/ FCP euro for certain parts. If an N54 injector is $500 and I buy a set of 6 for $3k, and in 7 years they're hypothetically $1k each for a $6k total, why would FCP take that kind of hit? Some of the "ive spent millions of dollars with this company" sentiment holds a little less weight if you expect the company to take big losses and go out of business at your expense (or savings, technically speaking)
      They aren't taking big losses. They buy the parts for less than they are sell to us... PLU they are marked up bc of the lifetime warranty. They take that initial $3k and their Finance/Treasury team manages that money (investments, etc). They are making money on you first purchase upon you buying, then the time inbetween your exchange. They generate money on a different side of the P&L. They would have went out of business after 2 years, if they didn't.

They have enough money to now build a multi MILLION dollar facility out in Arizona, 😆 🤣. WE have paid for that growth...

Comment

Originally posted by x Spades x View Post

They aren't taking big losses.
        Maybe, maybe not. But with inflation/supply/demand + high return/warranty rates, its certainly possible. Seems they either are taking some loss, or are on the verge of doing so. Hence the whole update to the lifetime policy

They buy the parts for less than they are sell to us... PLU they are marked up bc of the lifetime warranty
        Its almost as if they're running a business.. Margins are not particularly massive on most parts. Sometimes I order from the dealership @ wholesale and other times I pay the premium with FCP because the lifetime policy (whether original or now revised) is worth it.

They take that initial $3k and their Finance/Treasury team manages that money (investments, etc). They are making money on you first purchase upon you buying, then the time in between your exchange. They generate money on a different side of the P&L. They would have went out of business after 2 years, if they didn't. They have enough money to now build a multi MILLION dollar facility out in Arizona, 😆 🤣. WE have paid for that growth...
        Good for them? I guess their "finance/treasury team" ran the numbers on profitability X market X lifetime warranty and said hey we need to make a change. Maybe they're trying to stay profitable and maintain growth, or maybe they're turning into greedy assholes. If people think its the latter, they're free to purchase parts elsewhere. I think its still worthwhile for those of us on the long-term ownership boat to at least get our original investment credited and only have to pay the difference (where there is one) when using the warranty to refresh/replace parts.
        E46 M3 | C7 RS7

Comment

Consider the state of the global economy. Then add in the fact that our cars are getting older and will be more and more difficult to attain certain parts for over time (particularly with manufacturers focusing more on newer cars/EVs/EV infrastructure and everything therein). One can deduce that living in a perpetual state of free & unlimited lifetime oem euro parts replacement might not be feasible or realistic (whether for us or for the vendor, whether monetarily or materially, and whether explicitly promised or not). Being upset w/ FCP Euro for revising their lifetime warranty policy is like being upset with inflationary energy/gas/food/living costs: for the most part, you're just gonna have to deal with it and adapt.

I do acknowledge the issue of honoring replacements (and outlining detailed criteria/rules) for purchases made under the original policy that they have so publicly promoted. By all means, one is free to pursue legal action if they think it's worthwhile.
          E46 M3 | C7 RS7

Comment

Consider the state of the global economy. Then add in the fact that our cars are getting older and will be more and more difficult to attain certain parts for over time (particularly with manufacturers focusing more on newer cars/EVs/EV infrastructure and everything therein). One can deduce that living in a perpetual state of free & unlimited lifetime oem euro parts replacement might not be feasible or realistic (whether for us or for the vendor, whether monetarily or materially, and whether explicitly promised or not). Being upset w/ FCP Euro for revising their lifetime warranty policy is like being upset with inflationary energy/gas/food/living costs: for the most part, you're just gonna have to deal with it and adapt.

I do acknowledge the issue of honoring replacements (and outlining detailed criteria/rules) for purchases made under the original policy that they have so publicly promoted. By all means, one is free to pursue legal action if they think it's worthwhile.
            They are updating their policy yo maintain their Arizona expansion, which is understandable... its not bc they are bleeding money and about to close down.

I just think if they revise the warranty, it should be on products purchased AFTER 11/1... and all activity prior stay put. This will keep the older customers until they sell their cars as well as take advantage of their newer purchases (for the same or newer cars)... as well as newer customers not grandfathered in..

Verizon wireless did it with their unlimited internet customers (initially $49 per month), for like 10 years... then they change back and upped the overall price (to like $100) when ppl left.

Comment

Just read the whole thread, there's a really interesting spread of opinions here. I would rather have cash than store credit, yes, but we also have 3 German shit boxes so I can always find a use for store credit. I understand their changes, but I also think purchases made before the change should be honored (sounds like they will be) and FCP doesn't need to be perpetually held to a price from years ago which has changed. Yes they can set their own retail price, just like you can decide to buy from someone else. I think it still makes sense to buy wear items if the price gap is not massive.

And if the whole program goes away entirely, so be it. This was an uncommonly good deal while it lasted. Now FCP is all like, I am altering the deal, pray I don't alter it any further.
              Last edited by Nate047; 10-28-2022, 09:07 AM.
              http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
              '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Exactly. Wholesale prices are up and will continue rising, freight prices are up albeit stabilizing, and carrier costs for shipments is up.

I'm sure their business is still doing quite well, but looking at how the last 12 months have gone it wouldn't take a financial wizard to see the program is becoming a much bigger drag than they had bargained for before the world went haywire. They can cut losses on the old high-dollar parts, get customers to come back to spend the credits, and continue to market it similarly despite the fine print changing. The loss of old customers like those in this thread will be a small minority against their huge base of wholesale and retail customers, most of whom like the warranty but don't even take advantage of it to a large extent. Feelings might be hurt and they could have grandfathered people in as a show of good will, but it's just business at the end of the day.

FYI - I spoke with support on a warranty claim back in July and at that time they told me that anything before 90 days would be issued as a refund, and anything after 90 days would be a store credit. So this isn't actually a radical departure from what they have been doing recently.
                '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
                All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

Would you have gotten any kind of lifetime warranty/value coverage if you bought them elsewhere for $190? If you have to replace them down the road and they're now $295 a piece due to inflation/supply/demand, I assume you're still getting $510 credit towards the now $590 set of front rotors. Is $80 for a new set of $600 rotors not worth the $130 markup you paid earlier?
                  I dont see it that way at all. I see it like this:

The odds of me ever replacing a set of front rotors is 10%. I paid $130 more for a pair up front. If I was to change them in 4 years, I would probably have to pay the difference which will likely be $200, plus another $50 to ship them back. That is $380 which gets me a pair of rotors now. So I rather buy two sets of rotor for $190 per rotor now and be done with it. If I don't use the second set in 4 years then ill sell them for profit in the future which is way better than hundred of dollars in store credits and investing into all this "lifetime warranty crap".

Now also lets also evaluate this situation. 10 years ago I bought an aftermarket starter for my nissan at autozone. 8 years later it went bad and I took it out, went to a local autozone that had a replacement in stock and $0 later I walked out with a new starter 8 years later. They never charged me for the difference, I never had to pay for shipping fees nor did I have to wait for items to be shipped to me. That is a true lifetime warranty and very convenient in person transaction worth the premium autozone charges.
                  Last edited by Maxima SE; 10-28-2022, 03:04 PM.
                  2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                  2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                  2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post

This is pretty much what it boils down to for me and some others in this thread who chose to buy these parts for way more than they could have been purchased elsewhere. We decided it was worth it to pay more upfront and never pay for it again. I don't think there is any way for them to get out of this legally. Other people may have their own reasons why they purchased from FCP and why they continue to do business with them and that is respectable too. I am not here to bash other people's view on this topic but to call some of us who are upset "spoiled americans" or "complainers when we chose to pay $550 for a pair of rotors instead of$ 380 is completely uncalled for.
                    I think its time we email the CEO about these "fraudulent business practices" and threaten to expose FCP as a company if they don't offer some kind of grandfathering for those of us that made our purchases during the original termed program based on false promises just to increase their business. For those of us that have given them thousands of dollars over the years, you have every right to be mad at a company that sucked additional profits out of you to cover the cost of a program that is now changing its terms because the marketing didn't do its job to determine if the program was sustainable for operating costs long term. This is inexcusable and I for one won't sit here in silence and let them get away with it. This is literal bs
                    Last edited by thegenius46m; 10-28-2022, 03:47 PM.
                    2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
                    2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

What if FCP uses the Costco model? Everyone pay a $50 per year membership, and have the ability to exchange for cash, etc. THAT would have been an understandable change and offset some of their COGS.

Comment

Some of the "ive spent millions of dollars with this company" sentiment holds a little less weight if you expect the company to take big losses and go out of business at your expense (or savings, technically speaking)
                        That's basic business BUT their program SPECIFICALLY states that refunds will be generated on the REPLACEMENT order for life. How much this costs FCP, it is not the customer's problem 1%. If they legally wanted a way out of paying for inflation, it should be stated in the terms. That they have not done which why this is shady.
                        Last edited by thegenius46m; 10-28-2022, 03:56 PM.

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post

I think its time we email the CEO about these "fraudulent business practices" and threaten to expose FCP as a company if they don't offer some kind of grandfathering for those of us that made our purchases during the original termed program based on false promises just to increase their business. For those of us that have given them thousands of dollars over the years, you have every right to be mad at a company that sucked additional profits out of you to cover the cost of a program that is now changing its terms because the marketing didn't do its job to determine if the program was sustainable for operating costs long term. This is inexcusable and I for one won't sit here in silence and let them get away with it. This is literal bs
                          I’m with you on this. I don’t feel bad for FCP if they’re losing money now. It’s is a risk they took when they started their business. Should have done their homework…. I feel bad for all of us who spent more money than we should have.

I think they should step forward and clarify on their own whether the new rules apply to previous purchases or not. Cleverly, their invoices are useless and their story policy is not included in them. But at any rate, we have enough documentation of what their policy used to be. By law they have no honor whatever was advertised at the time of the sale. if they’re going to get away with this then automakers might as well get away with selling you a new car with 5 year warranty then change it to 3 a month after you drove off their lot.
                          Last edited by Maxima SE; 10-28-2022, 04:04 PM.
                          2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                          2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                          2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

I’m with you on this. I don’t feel bad for FCP if they’re losing money now. It’s is a risk they took when they started their business. Should have done their homework…. I feel bad for all of us who spent more money than we should have.

I think they should step forward and clarify on their own whether the new rules apply to previous purchases or not. Cleverly, their invoices are useless and their story policy is not included in them. But at any rate, we have enough documentation of what their policy used to be. By law they have no honor whatever was advertised at the time of the sale. if they’re going to get away with this then automakers might as well get away with selling you a new car with 5 year warranty then change it to 3 a month after you drove off their lot.
                            Guess it's soon going to be time to expose their lying marketing all over the web and contact BBB if they don't honor us. I have an order I'm waiting to ship back because they sent me a damaged part in the order and it clearly won't make it to them by 11/1, but you can sure count on the fact that I will be calling them about my displeasure with their practices if I don't get money back to my card for at least this transaction.

Comment

Just so you all know...

BMW parts bought from a dealer have a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. AND...struts, shocks, water pumps, alternators, starters, and I think AC compressors have a limited lifetime warranty.

For the 2 year warranty, you will probably have to call service and get a shop foreman to warranty the part. And keep in mind if you warranty something like a timing chain, you have buy all of the parts as stated in the repair instructions...could be painful depending on what it is.

For the limited lifetime warranty - most dealership employees are dumb and won't know about it. You might have to have a small argument with them but the limited warranty covers the cost of the part.

Also must be no physical damage.

Comment

I dont see it that way at all. I see it like this:

The odds of me ever replacing a set of front rotors is 10%. I paid $130 more for a pair up front. If I was to change them in 4 years, I would probably have to pay the difference which will likely be $200, plus another $50 to ship them back. That is $380 which gets me a pair of rotors now. So I rather buy two sets of rotor for $190 per rotor now and be done with it. If I don't use the second set in 4 years then ill sell them for profit in the future which is way better than hundred of dollars in store credits and investing into all this "lifetime warranty crap".

Now also lets also evaluate this situation. 10 years ago I bought an aftermarket starter for my nissan at autozone. 8 years later it went bad and I took it out, went to a local autozone that had a replacement in stock and $0 later I walked out with a new starter 8 years later. They never charged me for the difference, I never had to pay for shipping fees nor did I have to wait for items to be shipped to me. That is a true lifetime warranty and very convenient in person transaction worth the premium autozone charges.
                                I hear you. I think Autozone and FCP is apples to oranges, but I hear you.

Edit: But if one day shit hits the fan and one or both of those companies files BK, then what? Either way, I'd hate for any of yall to have to resort to legal disputes, so I get it.
                                Last edited by Boost; 10-29-2022, 01:10 AM.
                                E46 M3 | C7 RS7

Comment

Working...
                                X