This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by digger View Post
    there are enough uselss oil threads already, maybe keep the discussion here to dyno results of oils or otherwise....
    Yes plz, relevant side discussions are perfectly fine, but let’s try to focus primarily on dyno results/graphs/etc. Thanx everyone!
    Last edited by stash1; 10-20-2020, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Sharing dyno results and giving kudos to paulclaude who helped truly wrap up my CSL conversion project.

A brief, recent history of dynoing:
      Late 2019 - TTFS dyno&tune - max was 300 whp on their DynoCom. The injectors was maxed out and we knew there was an issue but unable to diagnosis it.
      Feb 2020 - back to TTFS - Frank helped diagnose faulty air temp sensor readings caused by improper grounding on the spare DME grounding pin. We corrected it on the spot and final run was 323whp. The graphs looked good but unfortunately, I never took a photo and Frank couldn't dig it up.
      Sept 2020 - I got in touch with Paul and asked for some further optimization. I found a local shop called Loudon County Exotics who has a DynoJet. I completed some baseline runs and sent to Paul for his evaluation. That's image #1 with the Sept 29 timestamp, and 307 whp. Paul pointed to the richer AFRs in the low RPMs and offered attempt to improve.
      Oct 2020 - Back to the DynoJet with Paul connected remotely. Image #2 shows starting run for the day (which aligns with the Sept baselines) and ending run 2 hrs later. So, the starting run is with the TTFS tune and the end run is the PCS tune. The end result was better than I expected and I am grateful to Paul for significant gains with tuning alone. He gave his best effort to improve the AFR spikes but a ceiling was hit. AFR's are improved from where it was before the overall drivability is vastly improved. Very impressive, overall, from my standpoint.

The final tune was stitched together with the run #12 (best AFRs, green plot) and run #9 (peak power of 347whp, blue plot image #3)

Well done, Paul! The important thing to know is hardware is the same across all dyno sessions mentioned above.
      Last edited by jbfrancis3; 10-21-2020, 06:47 AM. Reason: improved explanation
      '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
        Sharing dyno results and giving kudos to paulclaude who helped truly wrap up my CSL conversion project.

A brief, recent history of dynoing:
        Late 2019 - TTFS dyno&tune - max was 300 whp on their DynoCom. The injectors was maxed out and we knew there was an issue but unable to diagnosis it.
        Feb 2020 - back to TTFS - Frank helped diagnose faulty air temp sensor readings caused by improper grounding on the spare DME grounding pin. We corrected it on the spot and final run was 323whp. The graphs looked good but unfortunately, I never took a photo and Frank couldn't dig it up.
        Sept 2020 - I got in touch with Paul and asked for some further optimization. I found a local shop called Loudon County Exotics who has a DynoJet. I completed some baseline runs and sent to Paul for his evaluation. That's image #1 with the Sept 29 timestamp, and 307 whp. Paul pointed to the richer AFRs in the low RPMs and offered attempt to improve.
        Oct 2020 - Back to the DynoJet with Paul connected remotely. Image #2 shows starting run for the day (which aligns with the Sept baselines) and ending run 2 hrs later. So, the starting run is with the TTFS tune and the end run is the PCS tune. The end result was better than I expected and I am grateful to Paul for significant gains with tuning alone. He gave his best effort to improve the AFR spikes but a ceiling was hit. AFR's are improved from where it was before the overall drivability is vastly improved. Very impressive, overall, from my standpoint.

The final tune was stitched together with the run #12 (best AFRs, green plot) and run #9 (peak power of 347whp, blue plot image #3)

Well done, Paul! The important thing to know is hardware is the same across all dyno sessions mentioned above.
        Hi James. Just getting round to replying - not got much time these days for forum input as i'm busy at my own dyno as well as other tuning projects. Great to see the positive report and was a pleasure to tune it for you. Low down AFR's still needed a bit more work although looking better and not hurting power. I find the SSV1 headers tend to cause these swings at the lower end, especially when paired with 288/280 or other higher duration camshafts. Certainly the 35-40HP delta from your initial runs was a nice improvement, along with lift in the entire curve. Glad it's running well

Comment

September 10, 2020.

Finally got my car ready, for the dyno tune with HassanEido HTE, also got some of my car group friends to join in. This is my first car, and def first dyno session. I completely forgot about more aux fans other than just the main large diameter fan, this def had an effect on results but here are my cars specs.
          • OEM Euro headers
          • OEM US Sec 1 and 2
          • SCZA Sec 3
          • Turner Motorsports CSL Airbox
          • Stock Differential
          • Apex EC7r 18x9.5 / 265/35/18 RS4s
          Baseline. This was a CSL flash tune that my car ran with for a couple of days. Hassan flashed my DME spent about 3 hours with me since my OBD2 connection is a bit wonky and he had to back up everything just in case something went wrong. Ever since reading his threads on m3f I was convinced when the time came, he'd be the one tuning my car. Always friendly and happy to help me with various problems and obstacles I've had during my so far short ownership, stand up guy, it's all really appreciated.

A couple more runs after this and Hassan lets me know that the intake temps are "toasty" and I forget we didnt not put in more aux fans, so I ask the shop/dyno owner for more. We all forgot not, fucking amateur hour.

Then the car started to creep up in power as temps were at least calmed down. No doubt it had an effect on the eventual outcome but still very very happy. The canned tune on my car before the CSL Map conversion was utter shit. Pronounced waves in power after 5.5k rpm at WOT, just awful. This was insane to me, that my car could feel this good.

The following runs.

And last set, best set.

Car runs better than ever. The tune was for 94 octane that is offered here by Petro Canada. Although I'm not sure of the quality of this rating. If any of you know of octane analysis websites I'd be happy to do more research. Shell 91 always tests well here. I'm insanely happy with the way it runs, it's crazy addictive to just keep your foot in it with this setup, masterpeice of a car/engine/chassis.

Hassan worked for about 5hours and a bit on all our cars. We had 3 cars on the dyno and were pressed for time due to some early setup complications on the shops part. We were cracking jokes, having fun, he worked tirelessly to get us the best possible in the time we had allotted. Much respect, and thank you.

Next year we go again .
          Last edited by CrisSilberGrau; 10-28-2020, 06:37 AM.
          2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

^^^Thanx for the detailed post, and very nice results—congrats!

Comment

whats going on with the AFR below 3,500rpm?

Comment

Looked like a delayed signal from the muffler mounted Wideband sensor. Also from the logs most of the runs the operator wasn't going wot before 3k rpm
                385.7whp 288.8 wtq :
                -CSL airbox ( custom)
                -280 272 Cat cams
                -Custom SSV2, modified for a bigger collector
                -Custom Section 1 2 and 3: oversized to 2.5 inch and en E9xM Xpipe
                -TMS pullies
                -Electric Fan
                -HTE performance Tune :P

PM for performance Tunes

IG: https://www.instagram.com/hte_performance_tuning/

Comment

Originally posted by stash1 View Post
                  ^^^Thanx for the detailed post, and very nice results—congrats!
                  Thank you kind sir, hopefully the S54 gods will smile upon me for many more years to come of blissful ownership and minimal maintenance.

2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/Schrick 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Ok...need some help. I'll make it simple...WTF is going on with this mess? lol

I'm getting the car ready for 2020, this is the last thing I need to sort out.

I'm running a canned Evolve Stage 1 tune that does not account for the headers. Only hardware mods are megan headers, BW exhaust, Injen intake, and no AC (if that matters). The head was reworked about 1 year before this - cleaned, leak checked, and new stem seals. The head was checked for flatness...no material was removed. I've replaced the O2 sensors, spark plugs are relatively fresh, and VANOS gone through.

I can feel the power loss at 5k-5.5k which is where I'm usually at when getting on the throttle after turn in.

Thoughts? I'm thinking the ECU is pulling timing because of the headers?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                      Ok...need some help. I'll make it simple...WTF is going on with this mess? lol

I'm getting the car ready for 2020, this is the last thing I need to sort out.

I'm running a canned Evolve Stage 1 tune that does not account for the headers. Only hardware mods are megan headers, BW exhaust, Injen intake, and no AC (if that matters). The head was reworked about 1 year before this - cleaned, leak checked, and new stem seals. The head was checked for flatness...no material was removed. I've replaced the O2 sensors, spark plugs are relatively fresh, and VANOS gone through.

I can feel the power loss at 5k-5.5k which is where I'm usually at when getting on the throttle after turn in.

Thoughts? I'm thinking the ECU is pulling timing because of the headers?
                      That engine is running far too lean overall, and the power loss at 5-5.5k looks to be due to the even leaner spot, which will most likely be triggering knock and resulting ignition reduction. Needs more fuel everywhere, for starters

Comment

Originally posted by HassanEido View Post
                        Looked like a delayed signal from the muffler mounted Wideband sensor. Also from the logs most of the runs the operator wasn't going wot before 3k rpm
                        IMO it looks partly real it is present in the baseline albeit worse and there are some small dips associated. It'd need to be a pretty amateur tailpipe setup to be contaminating the reading

Comment

Originally posted by paulclaude View Post

That engine is running far too lean overall, and the power loss at 5-5.5k looks to be due to the even leaner spot, which will most likely be triggering knock and resulting ignition reduction. Needs more fuel everywhere, for starters
                          Figured as much because of the headers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post

IMO it looks partly real it is present in the baseline albeit worse and there are some small dips associated. It'd need to be a pretty amateur tailpipe setup to be contaminating the reading
                            I would agree it is real - you can see similar in graphs above. A lot of the problem when trying to dial out AFR swings at lower RPMs is the tailpipe wideband feedback tends to have some delay due to the slower exhaust gas speeds, so indicated RPM on the graph tends to be a little out of whack. That brings in a little trial and error as to what map RPM axis value to target, so along with dyno time constraints, it's often hard to clean everything up as you would want it, especially when primary focus is normally on that top figure

Comment

In my experience, catless headers shouldn't lean it out as much as that - either way, correct tuning should lift that whole curve nicely

Comment

Jae, lose the current Evolve tune, get an airbox and contact Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X