No announcement yet.

My new amplifier upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanted to update this post with my two new additions to the Match amp upgrade. The new Sony 6000 double din head unit and my Audison Prima 10” powered subwoofer. (yes i know the wires are ugly) lol Have something coming to cover that for the clean look. Also I would like to report I have had no issues with the Sony after the latest firmware. Now on to the subwoofer. This little subwoofer is amazing!, the sound is finally good in the M3. Hopefully this helps someone with their decision.
    Last edited by GreyM340i; 12-21-2022, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Someone could reach out to Techniq and see if they would do something custom. It wasn't that long ago they were selling E46 harnesses. I got one within the last 2-3 years. Attaching some files here that might be useful. Whatever you do, make sure to ground your amp with everything else in the driver's side trunk area near the backseat. Grounding to the battery is no beuno.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix///M3 View Post
        Someone could reach out to Techniq and see if they would do something custom. It wasn't that long ago they were selling E46 harnesses. I got one within the last 2-3 years. Attaching some files here that might be useful. Whatever you do, make sure to ground your amp with everything else in the driver's side trunk area near the backseat. Grounding to the battery is no beuno.
        Yeah I contacted them and they never gave me that option. Good point on the grounding. I grounded on the driver side.

Comment

If you have HK, you could still run this amp if you're willing to replace all the speakers at the same time, with say, the BavSounds speakers for non-HK cars.

Comment

Originally posted by t3ddftw View Post
            If you have HK, you could still run this amp if you're willing to replace all the speakers at the same time, with say, the BavSounds speakers for non-HK cars.
            ...but is the wiring plug and play? or does this make it so?

Comment

Originally posted by PowerSax View Post
              ...but is the wiring plug and play? or does this make it so?
              Yes, it is. I went from non-HK to HK Amp with BavSound speakers and it was almost fully plug and play. I had to wire in TAA (speed sensor input) and the Spatial Sound button from the control stack. The only caveat is that I did this on a Touring, so I didn't have the sub box to deal with.

Comment

How would it sound if you use this amp with HK?

Comment

Originally posted by benzthis View Post
                  How would it sound if you use this amp with HK?
                  Likely the impedance would be unmatched and thus it won't perform well. I don't know enough about this amp to say with 100% certainty, though.

Comment

Why would you do this? You're replacing the amp with something with a DSP and full eq across all the channels. Just tune the amp properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Shonky View Post
                      Why would you do this? You're replacing the amp with something with a DSP and full eq across all the channels. Just tune the amp properly.
                      As far as I am aware, the HK / non-HK have different speaker impedance's but maybe I'm missing something!

Comment

As far as I am aware, the HK / non-HK have different speaker impedance's but maybe I'm missing something!
                        I’ve also heard this.

Comment

From what I remember the hk were a mix of 2,3 and 4 ohm and the non are 8 ohm. If this is true, been a while, then then the Audiotec Fischer should be better suited to the HK being a 4 ohm amp..
                          I have a pp82dsp 8 channel amp out of a f10 5 series with hifi and it appears to share a harness with the e46. I don't have my car with me but bought a hk amp pigtail to trace it out sofar it seems like it should work, not pnp. Bad pics attached for reference.

Attached Files

Comment

Maybe so (and yes I think that is correct). But what difference does it make if the replacement amp can drive the impedance and is fully tuneable?

Comment

Originally posted by Shonky View Post
                              Maybe so (and yes I think that is correct). But what difference does it make if the replacement amp can drive the impedance and is fully tuneable?
                              Because the speakers' impedance will determine crossover point and even phase shift iirc. If you're powering each driver individually (individual amp channel) with active or passive crossover, then it won't matter and you'll just have to tune by ear and adjust the channel's gains to match the volume/output of drivers with different nominal impedance. If they're on the same channel, like the factory 2" mid and 1" tweet (maybe it's 3/4"), then impedance will affect frequencies iirc.

Drivers with different resistance are chosen as a way of tuning I believe. And none of us are going to tune better than Harmon/jbl employees.

Perhaps one driver might have lower resistance, but has lower sensitivity so it's output could be same as a driver with greater resistance, but also greater sensitivity. I'm not 100% sure, I never got that deep into car stereo.

Personally, stick with OE setup or go full custom imo.
                              Last edited by Tbonem3; 12-30-2022, 01:42 PM.
                              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

So is the general consensus that there is nothing for us h/k guys out there to upgrade with?

Comment

Working...
                                X