IND | Rogue Engineering E46 M3 Billet Aluminum Chassis Support V-Brace Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IND | Rogue Engineering E46 M3 Billet Aluminum Chassis Support V-Brace Kit

An integral part on E46 M3 is the rear chassis "V-Brace" (BMW # 33-31-2-229-899) found on all 2001-06 Convertibles and Coupe (including the CSL). This brace attaches to the outward points of the rear chassis and to the area near the rear subframe carrier. Since some of these vehicles are now over 20 years old, we have been seeing more and more of these start to rust away.

The OE V-brace is made from 38mm x 12mm (1.5" x 0.5") hollow square steel tubing with pressed ends and is welded to a junction plate; joining them with welds holding the arms at a specific angle. Since the arms are hollow, it helps keep the overall weight down, but does little to prevent corrosion since it is difficult to paint/coat a hollow tube.

After Rogue Engineering weighed the material, manufacturing, and cost options, they decided to make a fully CNC'd ACQ 6061-T6 aluminum replacement. The concept is to machine two identical arms (one part number) and have them joined with a "junction plate". The arms would be secured to the plate with Grade 8.8 grade hardware and the entire assembly would include replacement Grade 10.9 hardware to replace the original OEM hardware.

Product Details:
    • CNC'd 6061-T6 construction, secured with Grade 8.8 socket head cap screws. Included are replacement Grade 10.9 hardware to fit in the factory locations.
    • At about 4 lbs fully assembled weight compared to 6.25 lbs for the OEM brace; about a 35% weight savings.
    • Anodized gray finish
    • Modular design allows for one arm to be removed in case of exhaust removal requirement.
    • Included in the kit:
      • 2x arms of the brace assembly (they are identical)
      • 1x junction plate
      • 1x red spacer (this goes BETWEEN the brace and the chassis!)
      • 2x blue spacers (these goes BETWEEN the brace and the chassis!)
      • 4x M10 socket head cap screws
      • 3x M10 flanged hex head bolts

The Rogue Engineering E46 M3 Billet Aluminum Chassis Support V-Brace Kit may be viewed at the following link to our online store:
    https://ind-distribution.com/product...rt-v-brace-kit

Please contact IND by phone or email for more information or to place your order.
    866.963.4520 | info@ind-distribution.com

IND DISTRIBUTION | 847-963-4520 • INSTAGRAMFACEBOOKYOUTUBEFLICKR

Moving this to the e46 main section, because it's a new/different product.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
      Moving this to the e46 main section, because it's a new/different product.
      Thank you. The exhaust support braces are just as nice and the fact that they come with new hangers is a nice bonus. Unfortunately the optional titanium hardware for those braces is pricey for what you get, but that's been our experience with all titanium hardware.
      IND DISTRIBUTION | 847-963-4520 • INSTAGRAMFACEBOOKYOUTUBEFLICKR

Comment

• Modular design allows for one arm to be removed in case of exhaust removal requirement.

Good, now we only have 3 screws to remove with 2 different tools to remove 1/2 of the diff brace…

Any gain for chassis rigidity with this aluminum brace vs OEM steel brace?
        Last edited by Gt4; 12-21-2022, 08:12 AM.
        2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
        2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
        2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Group buy?

Comment

On Tapatalk nothing shows up...

Can see details if open thread in mobile browser.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Anything to be gained to tie this into a diamond-ish shape (kind of 2 opposing "v"s) to get the front attached to the 2x cross members that sit under the front of section 2, close to section 1/2 connection?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

It seems like a weaker design that also loses the big steel plate at the rear (though I have no idea what it's for)

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
                  It seems like a weaker design that also loses the big steel plate at the rear (though I have no idea what it's for)
                  Skid plate kinda deal to deflect stuff from the diff cover?
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by IND-Distribution View Post
                    Thank you. The exhaust support braces are just as nice and the fact that they come with new hangers is a nice bonus. Unfortunately the optional titanium hardware for those braces is pricey for what you get, but that's been our experience with all titanium hardware.

I wasn't sure what you were referring to at first until I stumbled upon these. It's a bit of a sidebar but:
                    The Rogue Engineering Exhaust Support Bracket replaces the steel OEM bracket 18-21-1-436-309 with a CNC'd 6061 ACQ machined replacement. Often times the original brackets on vehicles become rusty and bent. This allowed RE an opportunity to create a lighter version while making it from a more corrosion resistant material. NOTE: These are sold individually. E46 vehicles require TWO exhaust braces while E9X M3 and E88 128i/135i only use ONE brace. DOES NOT INCLUDE EXHUAST HANGERS.  Product Details: Weight savings: 602g vs 745g OEM Corrosion resistant, grey anodized aluminum Fits the following vehicles: 1999-2006 E46 including 323, 325, 328, 330 and M3 2008-2012 E9X M3 2006-2013 E88 128 and 135i Available separately: Titanium hardware kit (Grade 5), anodized gold. Resists corrosion, saves weight.

These do look nice. The Ti hardware is a nice touch, albeit pricey. Wonder if the bolts are long enough for those of us with a SS dual section 2 that need the ~5/16" aluminum spacers to space those braces down.

IND's pics are much better, but here's a pic of the mounted up V-brace from RE's site:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rogue E46 M3 chassis brace underside.jpg
Views:	788
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	197158
                    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Skid plate kinda deal to deflect stuff from the diff cover?
                      Anyone else accidentally catch the back edge of that plate and bend it while jacking from the subframe/cross member? Not that I've ever done that
                      Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

Anyone else accidentally catch the back edge of that plate and bend it while jacking from the subframe/cross member? Not that I've ever done that
                        That plate is the only thing that's rusty on my car exactly for this reason
                        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I'm not sure what this brace does. The span is so long between the mounting points???

I do wonder if a brace like this helps at all...

Drift HQ - E46 M3 REAR DIFF BRACE (STEEL)
                          Last edited by bigjae46; 12-22-2022, 03:41 PM.

Comment

this is awesome - I always hated this stock part because of the hollow tubes and got a lot of rust product out of the centre of them when I refurbished... I had looked at sealing them with Sikaflex or the like but never got around to it. this is a bit pricey but I would have definitely leaned into something like this when I did my rebuild. Now its mostly done and committed this will just be a pipe dream replacement in the long run haha

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                              I'm not sure what this brace does. The span is so long between the mounting points???

I do wonder if a brace like this helps at all...

Drift HQ - E46 M3 REAR DIFF BRACE (STEEL)
                              The pic appears to show a billet aluminum plate mounted, but the product they’re selling is steel? IIRC, I believe that this part was proto-typed by one of the big turbo shops to help the diff/axles stand up to big powa turbo cars.

Comment

Working...
                              X