No announcement yet.

New Software Utility for the E39 M5 & E46 M3 by ECUWorx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Program is flashed and tune is read and saved to desktop. What program should be used to edit it? Notepad and Wordpad just show a garbled file and "0xE002" cannot be found in a search.

In regards to triggering the alternator light over the CAN-bus, would you recommend this change? I haven't done any wiring changes and merely installed the tune and such on my otherwise stock SMG M3.

Comment

Originally posted by OneSwellFoop View Post
      Program is flashed and tune is read and saved to desktop. What program should be used to edit it? Notepad and Wordpad just show a garbled file and "0xE002" cannot be found in a search.

In regards to triggering the alternator light over the CAN-bus, would you recommend this change? I haven't done any wiring changes and merely installed the tune and such on my otherwise stock SMG M3.
      You'll need a hex editor. For now, maybe it'll be best to send me your tune and I'll just make the changes for you - you can read up on how offsets and binary changes work when you have some time.

Does your battery light currently work? If so, you can leave it alone. If not, then it'll probably be best to make the changes. To my recollection, 04.5 and newer M3s are what use the CAN-bus for the alternator light from the factory.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

You'll need a hex editor. For now, maybe it'll be best to send me your tune and I'll just make the changes for you - you can read up on how offsets and binary changes work when you have some time.

Does your battery light currently work? If so, you can leave it alone. If not, then it'll probably be best to make the changes. To my recollection, 04.5 and newer M3s are what use the CAN-bus for the alternator light from the factory.
        Messaged you for contact info. I don't know for certain whether my battery light works as I don't recall it ever coming on. My car was manufactured in September of 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by OneSwellFoop View Post

Messaged you for contact info. I don't know for certain whether my battery light works as I don't recall it ever coming on. My car was manufactured in September of 2003.
          Next time you drive the car just see if the battery light comes on with the engine off. Based on what you PM'd me it probably does.

Comment

Next time you drive the car just see if the battery light comes on with the engine off. Based on what you PM'd me it probably does.
            The battery light comes on with the key in position 1.

Comment

Can anyone expound on the cyl ign numbers?
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                Can anyone expound on the cyl ign numbers?
                Essentially they're knock adaptions. Negative numbers means that much timing is pulled, positive numbers mean that much timing is added to whatever the final calculated desired spark advance is.

Comment

What can we do with that info though, or is it something we give to our tuners for them to make changes?

Comment

Essentially they're knock adaptions. Negative numbers means that much timing is pulled, positive numbers mean that much timing is added to whatever the final calculated desired spark advance is.
                    Are there any obvious ranges for them to be in or differences between values on cylinders that point to potential issues?

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post

Are there any obvious ranges for them to be in or differences between values on cylinders that point to potential issues?
                      Like compression? Good question.

Comment

For anyone following my saga, the new tune worked and I was able to read my codes! MSSFlasher was an outstanding value for a CSL tune when I first bought it for my car and now is even more so. I could have been told that it was my problem and to go pound sand or buy a new tune, but Terra dropped a new tune that solved my problem.

Now to look up these error codes and to get my engine running right!

Comment

Here's my readout. Anybody knowledgeable care to comment on the Vanos adaptation values? Vanos overhaul has not been done on this car. The ignition retard is unfortunate, but i didn't expect much because Canadian gas here sucks anyway.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200511_231456.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	23982 Here's my readout
                            We welcome any useful information about my readings, vanos have never been worked on. and do not have any issues on car running

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200511_231456.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.1 KB ID:	23630
                            Last edited by Ahmed.Alghoul; 05-12-2020, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmed.Alghoul View Post
                              Here's my readout
                              We welcome any useful information about my readings, vanos have never been worked on. and do not have any issues on car running

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200511_231456.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.1 KB ID:	23630
                              did reset adaptation
                              I took the car for half-hour driving and re-read the adaptation

Click image for larger version  Name:	after vanos readaptation .jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.9 KB ID:	23981

Martyn,​
                              I hope you'll give us minutes of your time with thanks to explaining the best Vanos values ​​to us, and when we can say that we have Vanos issue

Comment

Ha, this is why in my line of work they say not to order a test unless you're specifically looking for something.

The VANOS adaption is just how much the DME needs to adjust the cam by to get the timing right. If the timing was 100% perfect, the adaptions would be zero. But getting it 100% perfect is pretty rare - there are tolerances built into all this. As long as the timing is within +/- 8º of the target, the DME can adapt to it. If everything is driving fine, and there are no errors suggesting the vanos isn't able to adapt, then there's nothing to worry about.

Comment

Working...
                                X